• 🇬🇧󠁿 🇸🇪 🇿🇦 🇮🇪 🇬🇭 🇩🇪 🇪🇺
    European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

The Friday thread: Because I fucked up and Josh is so awesome it's 7 days late

I read the other day that scientists have now directly observed (with optical telescopes) over twenty exoplanets! Can you believe that?!

Aye, man, it's crazy! I never thought it would be possible in my lifetime.

I am so excited for the launch of the James Webb Space Telescope in 2018. It's massive. Here's a comparison of the size of its primary mirror, compared to that of Hubble.

JWST_Hubble_mirrors_comparison.gif

There's also the exciting new field of gravitational wave astronomy with them confirming the detection of a second gravitational wave just the other day. It's a really great time to be alive for scientific advancement :)

The orbiting gravitational wave detector isn't due to launch until the 2030s though. Still, the James Webb should produce some phenomenal results.

The orbiting gravitational wave detector isn't due to launch until the 2030s though. Still, the James Webb should produce some phenomenal results.

Yeah well the orbiting wave detector will be something to look forward to :) Given that the field is in its infancy, I think there will still be some nice surprises to come from LIGO.

Have you seen the plans for the cancelled Overwhelmingly Large Telescope project? That would have been truly mindblowing.

I just had a look at it there and that would have been mind-blowing. Able to detect magnitude 38 objects 8o

If they could assemble something like that in space,at one of the Lagrange points, it would be even more spectacular.

My excitement for tonight's astronomy has been dampened as I've only just realised how bright the moon is going to be tonight :\

May I ask why do you buy the disks? Download them as they are normally a lot cheaper - I think site is in US$ - 71p (ish) to the dollar. Whats it like though ? Have you tried 'Alienation' yet (If I was rambling on about this game in here before then ignore me).

It was 20$ from the store.

I have always preferred hard copies of my media as I collect Blu Rays anyway as well as hard copies of PS4 games (Zen Pinball and another couple of PSN type games being the only exceptions).

Yes you can get better deals if you just get the digital download, but I rarely buy brand new titles as I have only had the Playstation for 9 months so their are a lot of older titles that I have bought second hand as unless there's something I desperately want I can wait 6 months or so for any decent games that seem to hold up as I can usually get them for 20 pound or less once they are 12 months or more old. This is one particular reasonably game that I have wanted since it's release - but I have kept an eye on the price for a while until I came across the item i photographed in a supermarket today for £29.99, pretty good price for a brand new copy of a game that retails for £40 in the UK on average.

I don't care how much better the value is on digital downloads when it comes to newer titles - as licensed copies of intellectual property they are of no further monetary worth once you have paid for them, where as hard copies of media such as these can be sold on once you have competed the game, got bored with it, need to buy drugs desperately etc

I just had a look at it there and that would have been mind-blowing. Able to detect magnitude 38 objects 8o

If they could assemble something like that in space,at one of the Lagrange points, it would be even more spectacular.

My excitement for tonight's astronomy has been dampened as I've only just realised how bright the moon is going to be tonight :\

Ah, shitty about the moon situation. I'm sure you'll make the best of it anyway dude. Especially if you're taking a nice sativa with you. :D

You'd love to hold my whore tongue.

I can think of a place or two I love to hold it... ;)<3

Since when did Friday threads become not a thing? I like the Friday threads! Could we not wait until after the weekend to merge them at least?

'Twas an accidental merge. What looked like two current Friday threads nestled up against each other on the main page turned out to be two different weeks. Once the merge is merged it's too late to revert though as you know so for one week only y'all have a megamerged Friday thread. Think of it as a special limited edition rather than a very minor fuck up ;)

Have you seen the plans for the cancelled Overwhelmingly Large Telescope project? That would have been truly mindblowing.

Couple of recent telescope plans sadly went bye-bye. The neutering of (e)LISA is particularly saddening but hopefully the success of aLIGO will convince the US to put their share of the investment up so the concept can be fully realised. Although past experience suggests otherwise... :(

Can't recall what it is called but the worldwide linked-up radio telescope imaging of Sagittarius A* is also very exciting and looks to be both unstoppable and (relatively) imminent. Can't wait!

I am so excited for the launch of the James Webb Space Telescope in 2018. It's massive. Here's a comparison of the size of its primary mirror, compared to that of Hubble.

JWST_Hubble_mirrors_comparison.gif

Does the size of the mirror equate to the amount of magnification with these telescopes? I feel like I should know this, being relatively interested in photography. Would love to live somewhere with a dark enough sky to take decent pictures of it! Might move to the Orkney islands or something.

'Twas an accidental merge. What looked like two current Friday threads nestled up against each other on the main page turned out to be two different weeks. Once the merge is merged it's too late to revert though as you know so for one week only y'all have a megamerged Friday thread. Think of it as a special limited edition rather than a very minor fuck up ;)

Makes sense. The only way is to split the posts back off. Might not have been too bad here because the threads haven't been running concurrently, but it can quickly become an impossible task. Title of this one should be updated to "7 days late" now though surely ;)

Glad to hear the Friday thread isn't changing, sometimes it's one of the only things I check in for! Not got a lot on this weekend, going to put some things into my storage unit and collect some others (including my weed vape, yay! :D ). Was going to go to the big multiplex cinema to watch Finding Dory whilst I was there (single middle aged guy at a matinee of a kids film is ok right?) but apparently it's only released in the US today.

Got to sort out some music for a friend's wedding and if the weather's ok I have to dig out all the weeds that have completely taken over my little wildflower meadow (I can see the seeds I actually put there sprouting underneath this evil big leafed plant, struggling for light). Pissing it down here at the moment though.

Housemate is out tomorrow night and I'm not planning to club run Sunday so might have a rummage in the magic supplies box for some treats, but nothing too mental. Half marathon is looming so I should be taking care of myself!

Have a good one y'all, stay safe <3

Sorted Josh, I'm sorry xxxxxxxx

Every mod is allowed a bleary eyed fuck up baby <3

Last edited:
Sorted Josh, I'm sorry xxxxxxxx

Everymod is allowed a bleary eyed fuck up baby <3

All good, was just a late night miscommunication :)

I don't care how much better the value is on digital downloads when it comes to newer titles - as licensed copies of intellectual property they are of no further monetary worth once you have paid for them, where as hard copies of media such as these can be sold on once you have competed the game, got bored with it, need to buy drugs desperately etc

Also, they're not even better value to download from UK PSN. I paid £49.99 for Uncharted when I couldn't be bothered to leave the house and pay £42 at the Sainos 10 mins walk away a couple of weekends ago. Never quite understood why that is, are the server / bandwidth costs really that much more than the cost of manufacturing / shipping a disk? Or are they just scamming lazy cunts like me?

Does the size of the mirror equate to the amount of magnification with these telescopes? I feel like I should know this, being relatively interested in photography. Would love to live somewhere with a dark enough sky to take decent pictures of it! Might move to the Orkney islands or something.

Yeah it means it's able to collect more light and detect more distant objects, and see them in greater detail. It's much easier to appreciate a visual image rather than just data that I don't understand.

Jesus what an eventful Friday.

A bit of retail therapy resulted in a couple of new shirts and an introduction to a cool fashion designer. The universe has funny ways of doing things considering I am currently in the midst of designing our uniforms and was after something a little edgy and different. Turns out the guy is keen to help for next to no fee just for the exposure.

No sooner had I sat down at home to skin up in front of the basketball then I get a call from my grand poopah boss offering me another business to run. A couple of baby boomers are winding down and it's pretty much a blank canvas for me to rebrand with my own and skim off the profits. I was way too stoned to actually negotiate the details but it's flattering I was offered this from the big man himself.

It means I can start looking for my weekender again, and I found this beauty.

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-acreage+semi+rural-nsw-uki-121950234

I'll want to paint the horrible cream colour so it beds into the surrounds a little better but the large shed is perfect for setting up welding equipment so I can construct my dream sculpture garden. I've been looking for an empty block with an outlook over the Lamingtons National park for a couple of years and this place is already set up enough to create an andy Warhol inspired factory. The bonus geodome out the back is perfect to turn into a recording studio for my mates.

Last edited:
A bit of retail therapy resulted in a couple of new shirts and an introduction to a cool fashion designer. The universe has funny ways of doing things considering I am currently in the midst of designing our uniforms and was after something a little edgy and different. Turns out the guy is keen to help for next to no fee just for the exposure.

*crosses fingers and prays for matching dayglo neon Spandex leggings all around*

Impressive as the wee fella is it surely doesn't breach health & safety regulations does it?!? 8o

And they say Brussels is bad! 8(