• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

The Big & Dandy Trip Abortion Thread

What drugs counteract psychedelics???

prefferably a easy to find, and quick acting drug for when you might have overdosed on psychs. i figure it would be always good to keep some at hand cuz you never know.

benzos, the faster acting the better. The most commom, Xanax or K-pins. Midazolam would work great as well. Or anything that hits hard to get stop a trip or "counteract" psych's.

Acid. Lots of it. Just eat a handful of tabs and that'll fix ya right up :)

Niacin is said to rapidly turn off a trip. Not the niacinamide or the time-release but pure immediate release niacin. Once I had this bizarre whiteoue-totally_unaware-zero_memory_or_speech_-but-still-walking-around-acting-reptilian-and-making-guttural-grunts reaction to 2 hits of unexpectedly powerful acid... and when my partner at the time got tired of all the drama and annoying behaviour, he dragged me into the kitchen, forced a couple grams of Niacin tablets in my mouth and made me drink some water like forcing an uncooperative dog to swallow pills, and in 10-15 minutes I "woke up" to sneers and dirty looks from my trip-mates, completely unaware of what had happened over the last 3 hours, as I had totally ruined the previously pleasant vibe in the house. I still have NO idea what happened inside my brain really... (see the "trip disasters" topic for my detailed story of the traumatic and epic experience going on as my higher-functions were apparently visiting some other far-future plane of existence in the presence of a destroyed Earth and and a VERY pissed-off Grandmother Goddess who was acting like the whole catastrophe was all MY personal fault, haha, or um, YIKES) BUT ANYWAY the niacin DID seem for SOME reason to snap me out of it.

I have heard conflicting arguments about whether it actually works or not, or if it is just some placebo effect. I am leaning toward "really works" because I was totally GONE BABY GONE and my conscious intelligent mind had NO idea what was happening or what was being fed to me or why.

No, there is nothing over the counter that would be expected to really reliably and effectively. If the niacin works, that would be great, but i doubt it's all that effective.

Benzos are good for dealing with bad trips (which are often partly due to taking too much), they relieve anxiety and tend to dull the trip in general. This should be the first line treatment for an unmanagably bad trip (whether or not caused by accidental overdose or not), and they will often get you back to a point where you can enjoy the remainder of the trip.

Antipsychotics that act as HT2A antagonists will actually end a trip, in a generally not-particularly-fun way. Risperdal is apparently good for that.

On the plus side, OD's on most psychedelics will never approach physically harmful levels, though they can be ridiculously scary and unpleasant and can often cause hppd, and/or make you freak out and possibly injure yourself while on the drug.

People have eaten strips of LSD, and some people do that intentionally. Very hard to OD on real LSD. Shrooms are likewise hard to have a dangerous OD on (you'll generally puke on the come up and then have a ridiculously intense trip). Same with 2C's (except maybe the 2C-T-*s, 2C-T-7 in particular - they're less forgiving), and to a lesser extent, most tryptamines.

DOx's and BromoDragonFly (often the active component in fake LSD blotter) on the other hand, are very unforgiving of overdoses, and should be hence handled with utmost caution. Blotter that is not known to be legit should be tested at 1 hit (or less) first to determine (based on chronology and quality of trip) that it is real LSD before elevating dose beyond 1 hit.

in my vast experience i have taken everything i can get my hands on and even gotten so pissed that i couldnt hold my head off the table at the bar and thought i was iether gonna pass out or puke ,,,,,physicidelics overload everything.period..like acid at least good acid will defete any drug...
one minute yer fucked up then an hour later yer trippin ...i dont care what you take cid will overtake all....ride it out ...

I heard take a couple of xanax... but apparently it'll knock you out, not mellow the trip to a managable level?

Niacin is said to rapidly turn off a trip. Not the niacinamide or the time-release but pure immediate release niacin. Once I had this bizarre whiteoue-totally_unaware-zero_memory_or_speech_-but-still-walking-around-acting-reptilian-and-making-guttural-grunts reaction to 2 hits of unexpectedly powerful acid... and when my partner at the time got tired of all the drama and annoying behaviour, he dragged me into the kitchen, forced a couple grams of Niacin tablets

A couple of grams of niacin is a pretty huge dose, something like 5000% the RDA. Although niacin is water soluble, and thus not normally associated with overdose, I've read of a niacin overdose, resulting in hospitalization from 5g or so. I don't think anyone should be advising people to take dosages in the grams, of instant release niacin, to end a trip - even if it does work, no one can say that such a high dose would be safe for another person.

one minute yer fucked up then an hour later yer trippin ...i dont care what you take cid will overtake all....ride it out ...

Excluding antipsychotics and large dosages of benzos, this is probably the case for a lot of people.

I have a little stash of the anti psychotic seroquel for that - 25mg gives me a very good night's sleep and in the case of emergencies 50mg has knocked me flat out for 17 hours.

Valium i unfortunately discovered wiped out my trip completely, was really disappointed, as that was not my intent.

A couple of grams of niacin is a pretty huge dose, something like 5000% the RDA. Although niacin is water soluble, and thus not normally associated with overdose, I've read of a niacin overdose, resulting in hospitalization from 5g or so. I don't think anyone should be advising people to take dosages in the grams, of instant release niacin, to end a trip - even if it does work, no one can say that such a high dose would be safe for another person.

Excluding antipsychotics and large dosages of benzos, this is probably the case for a lot of people.

Maybe it was more like one gram or even 500mg.

Try 500mg first.

Generally its rather safe. B stuff is water soluble and almost never toxic in any way, body just rapidly excretes any excess.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niacin does indicate that "extremely high" doses of Niacin can be toxic. but it looks like 500mg - 2000mg is NOT considered close to "extremely high"

Anyway, does anyone recall hearing that it can stop trips? I can't remember where I saw this, but it's been in my memory forever... and in my one experience seemed to work.

Atypical anti-psychotics almost always will work (they antagonize 5-HT2a, which is the main way most psychedelics elicit their hallucinogenic effects such as LSD, shrooms, 2C-X, and tryptamines). These include Seroquel, Zyprexa, Abilify, and Geodon. In that order. Though in some, Zyprexa will kill the trip faster than Seroquel. They're about equal - Seroquel is more likely to knock you out entirely though.

Trazodone and mirtazapine can both sedate you to the point of passing out and not tripping anymore, with mirtazapine also acting as a 5-HT2a antagonist as well, albeit a mild one.

Niacin, niacinamide, valerenic acid, benzos, phenibut, and barbituates can calm a trip down but not abolish it entirely (LSD is an exception to the rule in this case - benzos will generally kill just about all of an LSD trip in an instant - most psychedelics, it just calms the fear and stimulation).

The reference to niacin ending an LSD trip probably started here: http://www.maps.org/old_forum/1999/msg00709.html

I suspect that plain old GABA would be effective as well. Niacin and GABA in high doses though can cause rather uncomfortable burning/flushing sensations and niacin can be toxic in high doses so niacinamide is recommended if you are going to try this.

Really though, you should learn to just ride it out. Especially if you're on a "safe" psychedelic like shrooms - shrooms won't kill you, even if it feels like it sometimes. LSD is more of an unknown because a lot of what is sold as LSD is not even remotely close to BEING LSD so I urge caution there.

Niacin, niacinamide, valerenic acid, benzos, phenibut, and barbituates can calm a trip down but not abolish it entirely (LSD is an exception to the rule in this case - benzos will generally kill just about all of an LSD trip in an instant - most psychedelics, it just calms the fear and stimulation).

The reference to niacin ending an LSD trip probably started here: http://www.maps.org/old_forum/1999/msg00709.html

I suspect that plain old GABA would be effective as well. Niacin and GABA in high doses though can cause rather uncomfortable burning/flushing sensations and niacin can be toxic in high doses so niacinamide is recommended if you are going to try this.

thanks for the reference. yea according to the research mentioned in that article 1-2g initially (and up to 6g "safely") were used successfully, in the nicotinamide/niacinamide form which avoids flushing... resulted in "trippers calming down and eventually falling asleep."

So... there you are, kids, an OTC trip-calmer, possibly already in your cupboard or around the corner at the grocery or drug store.

about the pure-niacin flush, wiki says it can be prevented with aspirin or ibuprofen, which I didnt know, and anyway isnt usually triggered by doses under 1.5g:

"Pharmacological doses of niacin (1.5 - 6 g per day) often lead to side effects that can include dermatological conditions such as skin flushing and itching...The flush lasts for about 15 to 30 minutes, and is sometimes accompanied by a prickly or itching sensation, in particular, in areas covered by clothing. This effect is mediated by prostaglandin and can be blocked by taking 300 mg of aspirin half an hour before taking niacin, or by taking one tablet of ibuprofen per day."

Last edited:
IME mirtazapine will entirely abolish a trip, but there has quite a debate as to whether or not it is safe.