• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

The Big & Dandy Psychedelic Books Thread

dont let anybody interpret a trip or gods words for you.

That's what I believe also - however to not investigate any other knowledge & opinions on matters psychedelic ( or matters in general) is a good way to learn nothing - no man is an island or something. :)

"No Man is an island" as Odysseus took 40years to find out. Agreed as to investigate other knowledge with an open mind. "If everyones thinking alike no one is thinking" my grandfather a Marine would say. Id stress though when a third party being the buffer between you and your lord states/tells you thats its the "good" or "holy" or "righteous" war to be fighting its time to run liike hell in the other direction. We are all temples of the spirit since the body is the temple.

Thanks for that beautiful Easter message Frosty <3

QFT.

Leary fucked us by being a shameless self-promoting fool. We are still paying for that man's ridiculousness.

it's not only Leary tho - almost every writer on the psychedelic experience tries to somehow link it to old-time religions.

No-one has the balls to say "Fuck your stupid man-made religions, the psychedelic way is the best path to self-knowledge and it beats all your shit religions into the dirt".

^True. I wouldn't say psychedelics are "the best path," though...there are many ways to get to the same place.

Psychedelics are a path that's so dramatically different from any existing human experience, its hard to place any type of value judgment on them. They just are what they are -- and if you ask me, they're fuckin' cool! :D

^True. I wouldn't say psychedelics are "the best path," though...there are many ways to get to the same place.

Psychedelics are a path that's so dramatically different from any existing human experience, its hard to place any type of value judgment on them. They just are what they are -- and if you ask me, they're fuckin' cool! :D

Aptly put, my good man. ;)

follow your inner energy when tripping- whether it lead you to pain or happiness- confront what comes up- try to shed away each layer of yourself as you see it arise- and eventually, pure objectivity may be reached or it may not be reached. the tibetan book of the dead ala tim leary is pretty cool but its just a cut and paste of ideas from many eastern traditions. You are better off reading the tao te ching or moon in a dewdrop while tripping or just in life.

HOWEVER, when he says to meditate on existence being like the reflection of the moon on a lake- please do so- trust me on that.

^Personally instead of meditating on the reflection of the moon on a lake, I rather just get naked and jump in said lake. :D <3

I've never read Leary's interpretation, but a translation of the original "Tibetan Book of the Dead" helped get me through a recent stay in the psych ward. I've only read a few pages whilst on a psychedelic, but I found the Tao Te Ching to be very profound on mushrooms.

True, perhaps I was going over the top a bit :D

But I prefer not to compare them to the old-time man-made stuff. They're good enough to be considered holy themselves without trying to link them to man-made ideas.

I own the Tibetan Book of The Dead and have read the psychedelic experience which is the Bardo Thadol (Tibetan Book of the Dead) mapped to the psychedelic experience and they walk you through the bardo realms (tibetan esoteric framework of the after death plane) and they actually correlate really well to the actual states of consciousness you go through during trips. I think deep states of meditation actually bring you through these same states of the death of the ego and the rebirth but unless you have an understanding of those types of texts the Tibetan Book of the Dead just looks like mystical gobleygook. Lama's say it is a guide for the living as well as the dying. Obviously the map is not the territory but if you start having problems and fighting the experience the psychedelic experience by Ralph Metzner and Timothy Leary explains whats happening in your psyche at the stage your experiencing trouble with so you can exit the games going on in your psyche and experience your own buddha-nature or cosmic consciousness or the void. Often time bad trips happen with the grasping of the ego and instead of releasing in liberation and unity you try and hold on to your slowly fading life into the abyss which only leads to terror and fear. No matter whether you believe it or not its certainly intriguing and an interesting map of states of consciousness.

http://www.erowid.org/library/books_online/psychedelic_experience/psychedelic_experience.shtml

it's not only Leary tho - almost every writer on the psychedelic experience tries to somehow link it to old-time religions.

No-one has the balls to say "Fuck your stupid man-made religions, the psychedelic way is the best path to self-knowledge and it beats all your shit religions into the dirt".

I can understand why people would try to link psychadelics and religion, to some they hold a similar reverence. Theres one big difference to me though in all this. Religions are structed systems of controll (wiether you find that a good or bad thing is totaly a matter of opinion). But psychadelics, like meditation, prayer, ect. is a form of spiritual practice. In my opinion your practice is much more importent then what group you allie yourself with. But as usual thats just my humble opinion. :)

Oh and Iv read the Tibetian Book of the Dead, translated by Francesca Fremantale and Chogyam Trungpa (there are a couple different variations iv come across so far), and I found it to be very insightful in a way that I could carry into both my trips and my life. Timothy Leary personal kinda creeps me out haha.

Funeral rituals

i saw a show about the nazis who went to study the tibetans because they thought they were aryan blood...the coolest part was that for the funeral ritual it showed actual footage of people in the village using rocks to beat the body into a pulp. there were hundreds of carrion eating birds circling the woman as she did this. after the body was sufficiently mutilated the birds would converge at once and the body would be gone....saw that one on shrooms and i think about it all the time...look it up on you tube pretty cool

I can understand why people would try to link psychadelics and religion, to some they hold a similar reverence. Theres one big difference to me though in all this. Religions are structed systems of controll (wiether you find that a good or bad thing is totaly a matter of opinion). But psychadelics, like meditation, prayer, ect. is a form of spiritual practice. In my opinion your practice is much more importent then what group you allie yourself with. But as usual thats just my humble opinion. :)

Good point. Psychedelics are all about your own thoughts and emotions. I don't even like the idea of people taking mushrooms or ayahusca with a "tribal elder". It's got nothing to do with anyone else - it's your own thing. That's whats so unique about it.