• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Phenethylamines The Big & Dandy Mescaline and Mesc. Cactus Thread - 3rd Button

sounds fine to me, the nausea is the big problem and you have that covered. I find cactus tea to be much easier on the stomach and works just as well although it takes more time/effort to make it. With the dough i would sometimes get pretty bad stomach cramps so it may be worthwhile to consider the tea.

make sure you are well rested and in a comfortable (preferably not public) place and you should be okay.

Shoes are inanimate objects and incapable of the things you describe, seek psychological help. Really though, we don't allow SWIM or any of that third person balderdash here, just say "I" (yes this is a rule). Please edit your post to conform with this rule, it's really annoying to read it as it's written, and a lot of us flat out won't do it.

Anyhow, this thread will be merged with this one soon enough.
http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/threads/601178-The-Big-amp-Dandy-Mescaline-and-Mesc.-Cactus-Thread-3rd-Branch

IME the main problem is the taste/consistency of hearty cacti meals, I never had significant nausea. When you decide to ingest as pellets or tea (look for recipes, it's not that trivial to not end up with a snotty liquid) don't try to make it more palatable by mixing with other foods. That just doesn't work taste-wise and you have to eat more material. A better way is to just accept the taste as something you have to get through to experience the cactus' effects.

Maybe I'm just lucky with regard to the nausea. There's abundant mention of puking under the influence of cacti / even pure mescaline. But that happens more often in the beginning of the experience and once cleansed you'll feel a whole lot better. Don't try to avoid puking at all cost, as the fixation on nausea could ruin the trip. Feel free to puke, when your body tells you to, it's certainly not that bad and will have a very relieving effect.
But in any case, your best bet is perhaps ginger tea as you mentioned already. Have one about 30-60 minutes before the cactus and drink it with the ginger chunks (because at least one possibly antiemetic substance is not soluble in the tea). Try to have more of it while ingesting if possible, but don't force you to, if you don't like ginger :)

sounds fine to me, the nausea is the big problem and you have that covered. I find cactus tea to be much easier on the stomach and works just as well although it takes more time/effort to make it. With the dough i would sometimes get pretty bad stomach cramps so it may be worthwhile to consider the tea.

make sure you are well rested and in a comfortable (preferably not public) place and you should be okay.

I will be going bed early the day before and will probably wake up to do this at 6-7AM. I will most likely stay at home for most of the experience, I've got quite a nice view out of my window. If I feel like I can go out into a park, I might do so.

Is it possible to make the tea without having to boil it for too long? I live with other people and it would look weird If I boiled something green for hours...

Shoes are inanimate objects and incapable of the things you describe, seek psychological help. Really though, we don't allow SWIM or any of that third person balderdash here, just say "I" (yes this is a rule). Please edit your post to conform with this rule, it's really annoying to read it as it's written, and a lot of us flat out won't do it.

Anyhow, this thread will be merged with this one soon enough.
http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/threads/601178-The-Big-amp-Dandy-Mescaline-and-Mesc.-Cactus-Thread-3rd-Branch

Alright, I've just edited it, hopefully that's better now. :)

IME the main problem is the taste/consistency of hearty cacti meals, I never had significant nausea. When you decide to ingest as pellets or tea (look for recipes, it's not that trivial to not end up with a snotty liquid) don't try to make it more palatable by mixing with other foods. That just doesn't work taste-wise and you have to eat more material. A better way is to just accept the taste as something you have to get through to experience the cactus' effects.

Maybe I'm just lucky with regard to the nausea. There's abundant mention of puking under the influence of cacti / even pure mescaline. But that happens more often in the beginning of the experience and once cleansed you'll feel a whole lot better. Don't try to avoid puking at all cost, as the fixation on nausea could ruin the trip. Feel free to puke, when your body tells you to, it's certainly not that bad and will have a very relieving effect.
But in any case, your best bet is perhaps ginger tea as you mentioned already. Have one about 30-60 minutes before the cactus and drink it with the ginger chunks (because at least one possibly antiemetic substance is not soluble in the tea). Try to have more of it while ingesting if possible, but don't force you to, if you don't like ginger :)

Anything that tastes bad is hard to mask with other foods so I pretty much understand. In the end you will have to eat a lot more so I'll definitely stick to accepting the taste how it is, well hopefully I will. :\

I find ginger tea with lemon to be rather okay, some people find it hard to drink, not really the case for me so I'll definitely have some more.

I definitely agree about making the tea, I've heard everywhere that it makes the nausea better. Ime I've thrown up every time I broke threshold, even with ginger, but maybe u have a stronger stomach.... in any case, my advice is to fast, and avoid prosessed foods and anything that might have tyramine. Watching your diet the day before and fasting for 15 hrs prior will make a big difference in your stomach//intestines, and it willb just be more pleasant... although throwing up kinda jump starts your trip and makes you feel cleansed, less dizzy so the nausea is not all bad, and usually gets better after ~2 hrs...

Re: weed, many ppl have anxious reactions to it. Although the cactus is gentle, any psychedelic can cause anxiety. In any case, part of tripping is overcoming your fears, so learn to breathe well in those situations and remind yourself that you took a drug and the way you're feeling will change soon.

Having said this, I hope you enjoy it, welcome to the club:)

Alright, I've had my first experience, it was a bit disappointing but if your not too busy and don't mind reading it, here it is:

Alright folks, I've never before written a trip report so I don't really know where to start but here it goes. During the last week me and my friend ended up acquiring 50g (each) of dried Peruvian Torch chips. We wanted to find out a way to prepare them without having to take hours to boil/extract via alcohol and so we did. We ended up powdering the chips, mixing them with lemonade and finally freezing them in order to drink them as frozen ice. The proportions were eyeballed because we didn't have a scale, and to make sure we would have roughly the same amount we also cut up the two frozen ice boxes in half in order to make sure we'd have a proportion that would be as equal as possible. We thought a hammer would be necessary to break up the ice but when we saw it we ended up using a knife to cut it up into small pieces. We didn't want the pieces to be too small as otherwise they would break up. We ended up filling 6 plastic cups each of the frozen cactus pieces.

On Friday night, just before Saturday we were getting ready, we've bought all sorts of fruit and a few other things to eat. In terms of drinks we've had orange juice, apple juice as well as water bottles and lemonade. We also prepared ginger tea for stomach pains. We've put some music together, made some plans and all of this took some time so in the end we ended up having only around 5 hours of sleep time.

Time - Details

07:00 - We've woken up from around 5 hours of sleep ready to go on our first ever psychedelic journey.
07:05 - We've each taken motion sickness pills, around one hour before starting the journey and we then just got ready like you would in the morning after waking up.
07:50 - We've reheated ginger tea and drank it down.
08:10 - We've had two toasts each as we thought that could help. We've not eaten anything for at least the past 14 hours.
08:20 - We started to prepare the ice by chopping it up into edible pieces. Orange juice was also prepared.
08:46 - We asked for a smooth journey as well as mind expansion. In total we had 6 cups of cactus ice with lemonade that we started to take in. At first it wasn't bad but because the pieces were slightly too big to swallow we had to munch them and then gulp them down with orange juice. With the first cup it was quite easy and we didn't really feel the taste. As we moved onto the second cup it was still fairly easy but we started to feel the taste. The next two cups got harder and the 5th cup was where it started to become a pain. We each ended up drinking about 1.2 liters of orange juice as well as 5 cups of ice.
09:14 - 28 minutes later we were only left with one cup each but my friend started getting headaches and stomach pains. Both our stomach's were bloated and although I didn't feel great I wasn't complaining as it wasn't that bad, no headaches for me.
09:28 - Since my friend couldn't do the last cup and we ended up waiting too long I decided not to take my one too, so we ended up pouring our last cups down the toilet. We then, not feeling too well headed outside with nothing else but the keys and a banana. As soon as we entered the park I started feeling really bad, I stopped because I could feel that I was about to vomit, saliva was building up and I thought it was all about to come out but I was calm and managed to hold it in, soon the feeling of having to vomit passed and I was better, we found a bench we sat down and rested for a bit. After a few minutes we got up and started following the pathway again, suddenly from nowhere my friend just let it all go right in front of him, he couldn't hold it in and it all came out. This was roughly about 40 minutes after taking in the last cup. As soon as it came out his headache and stomach pains disappeared. I felt disappointed and didn't want to be the only one tripping so I kept thinking about vomiting it out as well, I didn't want to force myself as that's not something I would do but I also didn't want to be the only one tripping.
10:32 - After around an hour outside we decided to get back inside. My friend popped into the bed where as I went into the toilet for #2 (it was smelly, lol), I was in there for a bit and as soon as the urge to vomit came, I let it all out, I didn't even try keeping it down as I wasn't feeling like being the only one with cactus inside my stomach. This was roughly an hour and a half after taking in the last cup, maybe slightly more, maybe slightly less. As soon as I came out of the toilet I felt good, I had some apple juice and popped into the bed aswell.
10:51 - Feeling fairly alright with a bloated stomach and still in bed as it felt nice and warm.
11:11 - Around two hours after take in, not seeing/feeling anything really, while in bed with closed eyes, very light colors could be seen but only for a bit. We ended up feeling extreme hunger after smelling some nice food smells from downstairs and so we ended up baking a pizza. My friend randomly started cleaning up the kitchen, I was surprised.
11:22 - Friend feeling hungry where as I'm feeling full with only a bite of pizza. We ended up having some fruit, after one of those fruits, watermelon, I sort of started getting a painful stomach ache. Still feeling bloated but it wasn't too bad.
12:06 - Around three hours after take in, feeling a little buzz, we don't think it's working and feel a bit disappointed, but then again we did vomit it all out way too early. Although it doesn't seem to be working, we're not feeling normal either.
12:16 - Friend isn't thinking about time, nor am I, feeling a bit empty minded.
13:30 - Don't think it's working, just feeling a body buzz and from then on we decided not to even bother with logging anything or timing anything.

13:30 onwards - So we ended up listening to some music, in general it felt really nice. We had all sorts of TV shows, including six episodes of Planet Earth but we didn't even think about watching it, we instead decided to watch some comedy TV show. As time went on my friend wanted to go outside, we didn't really talk much as our minds were pretty much empty I guess. I think it took us quite a while to get outside as I ended up in a sort of loop where I would do the same thing and then I'd feel as if I forgot what I was doing and in general I didn't feel the urge to do anything in the first place, but in the end we ended up going outside. My friend felt good, no stomach pains, no nothing, whereas I started getting really bad stomach cramps/pains, it felt like gas was building up inside the stomach and it would feel good if I was able to pop the gas bubble inside. Since I was feeling stomach pains we stopped every now and then to sit down for a bit, I sat on the pavement whereas my friend stood, the day was awesome but colors seemed to be normal just like in any other day, bright and colorful but nothing amazing as we've read from some experiences. Then again I usually wear lenses due to my eyesight so maybe if I wore them at the time, maybe it would be different. It felt good to sit down and not think about anything and just look around and feel the air and everything around. After getting up we talked a bit about trying something else like shrooms to get a comparison since we pretty much don't have anything to compare too. We walked around the neighborhood stopping here and there where in one place when we sat down I sort of tuned out and felt "one" with everything. My stomach was still bloated with even more pain, painful but bearable, I think the body high was helping with not really focusing on it. My friend felt fine but we decided to go back inside, before we got home we sat down for a bit once more and when I looked into a bunch of tall tree's I saw them swaying together in a clockwise motion which was really cool, my friend couldn't see this but I did. Once we got back inside we just jammed, listened to music, watched TV shows, ate fruits, etc. I though ginger tea would help with the stomach pain but in fact it felt as if it made it even worse. In general some periods felt as if time was passing by really slowly at other times it didn't feel like anything, I noticed that when I was in certain positions when laying on the bed that the stomach pain would go away and it would be possible to fart out the gas (not really sure how to put this). Anyway, there's not much to say to be honest we felt good for the whole day but it wasn't really what we'd expect, we ended up walking to get some food at around 21:00 and in general we just watched TV shows and listened to music through the whole day, nothing exciting but it felt good. The whole body feeling wore completely off at around 1AM where we were then able to fall asleep. In general we had some random conversations but most of them where bullshit as I didn't really know how to put things into words, or I didn't really have the vocabulary to put things into words. In terms of the stomach acke I think I've had hangovers from alcohol that were wrose than this.

In Conclusion

In conclusion we pretty much felt an all day body high similar to maybe weed but different in many ways. We were clear minded for the whole day. A few days before I was recommended to read a 24 page PDF, "The Doors of Perception" by Aldous Huxley, with his experience and although I found the read to have a lot of stuff that I couldn't be bothered to read I still read it. I didn't understand most of it but some of the parts I found very interesting. After the experience I've had I started to slowly understand what Huxley really meant. While I was downstairs washing my cups I saw myself washing them but I felt like I was this "something" I felt like I was in a different state of conscious which was really nice, it wasn't powerful but it was there. That's where I started to understand some of the things that I've read from the book. I felt "one" with nature, my friend didn't seem to but I did. I don't really know how to explain this but even before trying cactus or anything else for that matter, when I was a young teen, even a young child I've always had this feeling of that "something" that "one" which I never really knew how to explain, I thought about it and tried talking about it with others but no one would really understand so I just left it but now after trying cactus I really feel the urge to find out more. All in all, although quite disappointed, we enjoyed the experience as it was and will be looking forward to another one soon, though this time maybe with two extra friends and definitely a better way of taking in the cactus, either an extraction through alcohol or a boil. The only thing that worried me at the end of the day is that I still haven't had any real psychedelic experiences, no visuals, which kind of keeps me anxious as to what I have yet to see. Anyway, I'm not great at explaining, writing down trip reports so there may be things that I wanted to add/say but I just can't remember them now. PS. We felt completely normal the following day, no hangover no nothing.

Some Questions

We were wondering how different are shrooms to cactus? Do you get that feeling of "one" with shrooms too? Or is that just from the cactus? I really want to experience a stronger feeling of "one".

We were thinking of soon trying cactus again though this time through an extraction and we wondered if it would be good to continue with cactus or maybe go for something easier?

Thank you for reading this long report and taking your time to reply.

I really want to experience a stronger feeling of "one".

I've never tried shrooms but on stronger doses of mescaline I definitely get this feeling.

We were thinking of soon trying cactus again though this time through an extraction and we wondered if it would be good to continue with cactus or maybe go for something easier?

If you are planning on doing anything more lengthy than a basic alcohol extraction it takes a bit of time. I've never gotten great yields from cactus powder but I've never tried drying fresh cactus, powdering it, and then extracting that, which might give better yields. In general, I've received higher quality live cactus than the equivalent of "a foot a cactus" of powder.

50g of chips of average quality should still have given you a nice experience, I think that there was so much stuff in your stomach that a lot of the cactus didn't get digested but sat in your stomach until you threw up. If you had 200mL of orange juice to get down 2 cups of ice, that might make absorption faster, but I would recommend getting a foot of cactus and brew up a shot or two of tea.

Thanks for the information, I'll definitely be looking towards an extraction just not sure yet if an alcohol one or a simple tea.

i'd go for mushrooms, they will most certainly make you trip unless you get shitty ones. Nothing wrong with cactus except the taste but i find mushrooms to be more reliable in providing a satisfying trip, with peruvian torch the amount of cactus you have to eat can sometimes negate any psychedelia.

simple tea is fine, but it is a pain to make, you definitely want to heat and stir it so you can reduce the amount of cactus juice you have to drink. It took me a couple of hours to get it down to a reasonable amount, it also makes a bit of a mess and smells funny so not the best for being discrete.

mushrooms are so simple, i just grind them up and eat the powder.

i'd go for mushrooms, they will most certainly make you trip unless you get shitty ones. Nothing wrong with cactus except the taste but i find mushrooms to be more reliable in providing a satisfying trip, with peruvian torch the amount of cactus you have to eat can sometimes negate any psychedelia.

simple tea is fine, but it is a pain to make, you definitely want to heat and stir it so you can reduce the amount of cactus juice you have to drink. It took me a couple of hours to get it down to a reasonable amount, it also makes a bit of a mess and smells funny so not the best for being discrete.

mushrooms are so simple, i just grind them up and eat the powder.

If only I had easy access to some mushrooms, I'd look into them. At the moment I don't. ;)

Cactus is definitely a very interesting and fun experience and therefore not a one to miss.

I am interested in trying to increase the mescaline yield of my Peyote cactus, but I don't want to do something rash and inflict any harm to the cactus. I know that dopamine is involved in Peyote's mescaline biosynthetic pathway, so I started wondering whether injecting dopamine HCl into the cactus would be worthwhile. I'm hoping someone out there has tried this before. If so, how much dopamine HCl did you inject into the cactus? Is this tinkering worth the risk?

Last edited:
Don't listen to StickyChron. I've tripped on LSD, salvia, mushrooms, DXM and last but not least cactus, and tomorrow, ayahuasca. And I can't handle weed. Some people it just rubs the wrong way. You don't need weed anyway, it's a great way to waste time but not good for much else.

Mushrooms are very different from cactus though. Expect much more apparent and in-your-face effects, and a much more alien / less rational mindset. I recommend starting quite low with mushrooms, 1.5g at the most. (Most people would say start higher, but the thing with trying a substance for the first time is, you have no idea how you'll react - cue my usual story about taking 2g and going insane in my bedroom for four hours. So it's better to start lower than you think, which is why your 'disappointing' mescaline experience sounds like an ideal first trip to me.)

If you really want to "know" something with this medicine, eat 100 buttons, but if you want to say "I know something.." eat 500 buttons. Peyote will take you farther than you can imagine with the right intent and the willingness to do the work. As for the visuals, while fantastic indeed to say the least, are also there to keep out those who aren't prepared yet. Then as your heart you leave the mind's attention, step out the maze-ing 4th dimension, your welcome in the 5th.

Five... hundred buttons of peyote?

I think you'd die from having too much plant matter stuffed in your stomach all the way up your oesophagus?

Does anyone have experience with IM injection of synthetic mescaline? Are there advantages or disadvantages? If anything, it would be an advantage to me that it would be impossible to throw up (part of) your dose.

I have had only one experience with synthetic mescaline (none with extract, one threshold experience with cactus goo), and it was at the same time heart opening and trancendental but not very trippy which was remarkable to me. At what dose does it get truly visual and psychedelic and transformative for you, and also I have proscaline and a possible option for allylescaline, I'm interested in similarities and differences. :)

I recently watched a You tube video in where this Aussie graphs a Peyote Button on to a different mescaline producing cacti, this got me thinking about other varieties of cactus, and if all species of cactus could be grown together? The Botany of cactus's seems so alien, but I am considering taking it up as a hobby.

Last edited:
Indeed this is called grafting, you probably learned from the video that just like with various kinds of trees you can combine a root system and/or stem of one tree or cactus but the top phenotype of another plant or cactus, the part that shows, that often matters to us most, the part that is most visible, etc.
To be honest I'm not sure which types can be combined but if peyote which belongs to the Lophophoria family can be grafted onto Trichocereus or other stems then it seems to me there is pretty tolerant compatibility.