• once a week

Votes: 154 12.7%
  • twice a week

Votes: 56 4.6%
  • everyday until I run out

Votes: 50 4.1%

• Total voters
About once or twice a month.
Anymore then that, and the novelty starts to wear off (for me. trip as often as you want, I don't care). Not to mention the strain on the ol' pocket book.

blahblahblah... nope, I am not a holier than thou "LSD Guru" type. LSD is a man made chemical, plain and simple... it just happens to have some amazing properties.
As far as my comment on moderation... dude, take it for what it is. Apple pie is great, but start eating it everyday and very soon you wont think so. There is such a thing as psychedelic abuse... and yes, it will result in more diminished experiences.
SG

This question is for Murple. Murple you say you only trip once or twice a year but i can't help but notice you have a shitload of trip reports: Did you in your past trip more often than you do now(hehe, or are you just really old? ;) )? Also, do you feel that that often is the most beneficial amount and that you've gotten "better" and wiser about how often you use them? For me twice a year would be too little I think as the positive effects of a trip last only a few weeks for me...
Agreed Puristlove- it's a faulty analogy to compare tripping to booze or weed.
I think I may slow down a bit since, sure enough, it isn't as special anymore. I do want to say again that I wouldn't take acid, mushrooms, or ayahuasca twice a week by any stretch since they are so mindbending. Maybe once a month for those. But with some of these lightweight research chems it's feels okay the amount I take...
[ 25 January 2002: Message edited by: ambience ]

Isn't it a bit presumptious to attempt to quantify the psychedelic experience and in turn, try to define what makes it better or worse, or more or less "meaningful". Ideas like that are relative and different for each and every one of us anyways...
Some people may only find thier idea of benefit and "enlightenment" from psychedelic drugs, through excessive/constant repeated use, and some may find it via a singular once in a lifetime experience with a drug...
At it's core, the psychedelic experience is relative to each and every person...
How can anyone say the more often you trip the less special it becomes?
That's something completley dependent upon a person's idividual experience with the drug and can't be translated to apply to everyone. What's your idea of "special", what's your idea of "often", and what exactly is it like when you "trip".
Everyone will have slightly different ideas of the above things, thus, to me, it seems making any broad generalizations about the psychdelic experience is always treading into unknown water and something best avoided...
Brainrape
PS- And to answer the original post, I use all drugs at different consistances, and to different lenghts at different times...At times I will binge on a substance, and at other times abstain for long periods, it all depends on how I'm feeling at the time I suppose...

I gotta say it is totally counterproductive to degenerate into a 'everyone has there own experiences so no one can say what is right for anyone else' kind discussion. This is a message board, so exact _point_ is for people to learn from (or ignore) others experinces.
BTW, I think a person can learn a lot from binge drug use. Of course you dont want to be outta your head 24-7 forever, but to really let the drugs take over for a while can take you to places you couldnt ever predict.

You know... some people will argue simply for the sake of it.
Bottom line, if you talk to many of the more experienced and wiser (wiser being the key word) psychonauts like Morninggloryseeds, Puristlove, and countless others they will tell you that LSD or any other psychedelic will loose it's shine if it is used too often. True, we are all individuals, and you may choose to do what you wish, but I suggest heeding these golden words of advice... It is far more difficult to retrieve the "magic" of psychedelics after it has faded than it is to enjoy it in moderation in the first place.
As far as HPPD (Halucinogen Persisting Perception Disorder) being "Highly debatable" where on earth did you pick up that uninformed notion? HPPD is not something that everyone who trips excessively will suffer from, but it IS most definitely a real disorder that can be quantified by brain qEEG testing and is treated (albeit not always 100% adequately) with various meds. I suggest you do some research on the subject, as you really should know everything about the drugs you are taking, both the good and bad... especially if you advocate their use in excess.
http://www.stormloader.com/hppd/
http://www.hppdonline.com/
http://www.erowid.org/psychoactives/health/hppd/
If you don't believe HPPD to be a legitimate dysfunction after reading the facts, it's probably because you don't WANT to believe it is.
Per your question, I have tripped more times than I care to count on both LSD/Mushrooms as well as the more exotic research chems. As far as the "Spacey research chems" comment... What the heck does that imply?

I think what we are trying to say is that the novelty of a psychedelic experience is a pretty important part of what makes tripping so fucking amazing.
You can overdo it and live past it, you can even overdo it and have fun every single time. Some people may trip several times a week and have significant, powerful trips that continually help them grow as people.
But by doing the drug that often you ARE stripping away its novelty. If the novelty of a drug experience means nothing to you, if it doesnt matter whether or not each time is like entering some incredible new world where things look entirely different, then go ahead and use them a lot. You'll still trip every time you take the acid, it isn't like some drugs in which you can build a physical tolerance that lasts for long periods of time or forever, BUT what you will lose is that feeling that your doing something NEW and EXCITING.
I for one do not want my drug use to feel like it is commonplace.
Pure

i foolishly brought a pile of tabs(20)because there hadn't been any around and some became available. when you have that many for your own use sitting there they tend to get thrown in.
being the lunatic i am i threw them in quick sucession, including two at once one night which is a whole different story. anyway i think the more you have the less you appreciate them, and they don't tend to work as well. i would definately only use them once a month now

You do know that repeated (read: daily) use of acid will exhibit deminished results, right? It's not a subjective thing, either.
That being said, don't feel you *have* to eat all that acid before it goes bad. Keep it store in a cool, dark place away from direct sunlight, small children, housepets, and the feds.

There is obviously a point where you just cant get much more from psychedelics.
Not that they still can not be fun, but they have helped you learn/taught you all they can. or at least close.
as for how often do people trip, even that is somewhat subjective.
Is 10mg of foxy tripping? 250mg of MDA was much more intense of a psychedelic experience (including the visuals) than the most intense (25mg) foxy trip.
Is a hit of mediocre acid and a roll at a club tripping?? not in my book.
If I can't close my eyes and direct my thoughts to a different level, I don't consider it a trip.
So I guess I trip about 4 times a year, but I take psychedelics much more often.

Although I would recommend not doing this, I sometimes do LSD and DXM twice a week. :)

i have only tripped on ACID 1 time in my life and i dont see how somone could take more than 12 a month,th ACID dealer i got it from trips every weekend ,he cannot even remember his first trip or how many times he hs done it,but i will tell you this WHEN HE TOOK 15 HITS JUST TO SHOW A GIRL THE ACID WAS OK I WAS BLOWN AWAY HOW HE COULD DO THAT AND NOT CARE,BUT WHEN HE WENT TO SLLEP ON THE 15 HITS I KNEW HE WAS FAR BEYOND OVERDOIN IT(HE FELL ASLEEP 3 HOURS AFTER EATING THE 15 HITS,
i mean you cannot even tell he is trippin anymore..its like he is normal on it,when he is sober he walks with his ards pulled up to his chest it weird....

My frequency depends on previous trip satisfaction, mission opportunities and of course, supply (fuckin Sydney drought!).

Hmmmm...
For all the "mind-expanding" that psychedelic drugs are supposed to offer, many of you seem to harbor a rather closed-minded and dogmatic idea of the psychedelic experience...
SG,
Of course I can easily see your point, and it's not a radical concept or anything, ideas of tolerance, or losing the "magic" in regards to drug use is common, but try to look at it from a different angle.
As with most anything in life, there are pros and cons to everything, much the same can be said for so called, "psychedelic abuse". "Psychdelic abuse" (What exactly is that anyways?) or what I could also call, "Intensive Psychedelic Appreciation" :) can have benefits from many different angles. But, since we can't really say what constitues "psychedelic abuse" (unless you can offer some numbers or stats) it's hard to work from a common referance point, so I'll use my own...
Personally, I have had my share of experimentation with psychedelic drugs in general, and in pariticular LSD. And while, ironically, I just ended a period of self-imposed abstination from all psychedelics (I hippyflipped for New Years, before that my last use was in August) a few months prior to the abstination I had experimented with full out immersion into the psychedelic experience (via LSD). Both proved equally insightful...
Basically, a bit of controlled experimentation with LSD for a short time in order to see possible benefits to an almost complete familiarization with the experience of taking it. What I think one would characterize as "psychedelic abuse". (Extended multi-day trips, daily threshold level dosing for long periods, etc etc). The idea was to see if one were to remove the inherent "Wow" factor that accompanies a trip, is the overall experience really as profound in nature, and to what degree was the experience (and accordingly, my perception of it) altered.
For myself, the insights, and thought processess that accompany them, radically fluctuate back and forth throughout a long sustained period of use. Leaping from total hectic confusion to stunning realization at the drop of a hat, and this progressivley increased in my case, whereas others found this facet of the experience severly diminished as time went on, even with exponential increasing of doseage. My method of rationalization behind any given stimulus would also VERY gradually change during a long term experience, and overall began to lean more towards the spiritual, even for the most basic of observations (that was weird).
Observations of that nature were just a few of the many things I was able to derive from the experience, and things that I had never previously witnessed with psychedelic drug use in the past. Also a newfound appreciation for SMALL doses of psychedelics was discovered, I've found that on occasion I would prefer more to just take a hit or two, as opposed to a large doses, it can be equally as profound...
Admittedly, by the end of that summer I was a bit burnt out on LSD, and that along with other factors facillitated my abstination from psychedelics, but, the question is, have I lost the "magic"? Exactly the opposite. I personally feel that experience has given me a more fundamental insight to changes in my thought process and the manipulation of that while under the influence of psychedelics.
The point is not to argue, but to merely offer the idea that the whole of the psychedelic experience is so expansive it's pretty much a world of infinite fucking possibilites we can't even begin to imagine, let's not limit ourselves from the onset.
Brainrape
"Shamanism that is specifically rooted in the kind of experiences that are induced by psychoactive plants ... is an area that our society is extraordinarily phobic and nervous concerning, and the reason I think is not far to seek. Because modern institutions depend on the transmission of a certain world view and then willing acquiescense in the truth of that world view by the populations into which it is being exported. In other words a kind of cultural brainwashing is necessary for modern cultures to work at all. The consequences of the acceptance of this situation of brainwashing is further acceleration toward catastrophe."
-Terence McKenna

i think its sad how so few people have any true respect for LSD. i've been preparing myself and waiting a year and a half for *good* acid to come my way. i haven't had any yet but you can be sure i'll be damn happy when i find some. i have a lot of respect for it and am so excited about the new level of conscience i can reach, i'm deffinitely looking forward to the experience. personally i think this is how you should feel about tripping, be it acid, shrooms or reasearch chemicals. i'll admit many things are just useful to get fucked up and have fun, but theres so many that are true tools that no one has any respect for.

:\
1. The title is this thread is "how often do you trip"....not "why do you trip" or "how often should other people trip." I really wanted to see how often people around here actually trip. I wanted some actual stats, damnit! ;) I don't mind threads migrating, but why not compare stats first and then move into a discussion of why?
2. Newsflash: Tripping multiple times a week is not good for you. But hey, we do things everyday that aren't good for us. What about the fat guy at the buffet stuffing himself with food? If I considered myself a nutritionist, I might go say something to him. Since I know about psychedelics, I am trying to tell people that less is more.
3. Explore your motivations. If your goal is to be FUBAR 24/7, then why not just guzzle beer or sniff glue? If a FUBAR 24/7 person and I both do a psychedelic, accept the fact that he and I are doing it for different reasons. Not an opinion, a fact! I don't hate on the people who shoot for FUBAR 24/7, why can't they tolerate my motivations? This is a harm reduction/information board, so don't justify yourself by lashing out at people who talk about moderation.

Originally posted by *CrystalMeth Bunny*:
I don't like tripping in public. I've had 30+ chances to buy acid at raves in the past year, but I haven't because too much social interaction while tripping bothers me. I prefer being alone, or with a couple people I already know - sober or not. If I'm comfortable with venturing out into public while on said substance, I'll do it...
I love tripping in public! The more shit going on around you, the more interesting and intense the trip is I find :)
Simply put, I don't like rolling in a rave environment (no matter how "discrete" I am, people try to dogpile me and give me backrubs and lightshows), and I especially don't like tripping. Yeah, it makes the music more enjoyable, but there's nothing worse than zoning out and having a giant stuffed animal fill your peripeheral vision - then you realize some kid thinks you're on E, and is thusly rubbing a sweaty plush toy against your head.
Although admittedly, I'd probably get the urge to punch anyone trying to push plush toys in my face. That's just rude.

How often do you trip?

courtesy of treefingers49
I actually want to make this a poll, but do not know how to do it on this forum. Mod help?I've noticed that a few people here trip a very large amount and just wanted to see what the averages were

once a year or less?

once every six months or so?

once a month?

twice a month?

once a week?

twice a week?

everyday until I run out?

I personally am in the once a month category, mostly because I moderate how much I do, and partly because I just don't have the time. I wouldn't go beyond twice a month for any extended amount of time. I feel that the detrimental aspects of tripping increases above twice a month.

I haven't tripped since november of 2002, but in my salad days, i was doing it about once a month.