• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Ethnobotanicals The Big & Dandy Datura Thread

Datura was used for thousands of years, the drug is not bad idiots who take it and dont know what they are doing give it a bad name

Dose to an extent. To me, setting is more important. It can intensify a trip markedly if you're good at surrounding yourself with the right stuff.
Different strokes for different blokes i guess.

no matter how good or bad your setting is - when youre body cant take it, its over.

Datura was used for thousands of years, the drug is not bad idiots who take it and dont know what they are doing give it a bad name

its been taken in ritualistic contexts, from people that live under very different circumstances than we do. imo datura cant be "used" by any member of a "western civilisation", except for suicide, maybe.
just dont fuck with it, datura was the only drug i really regretted.

Well, no drug is good or bad, its the users of course, but the point is that datura is virtually impossible to use safely, by anyone.

Yeah, man, datura is the ULTIMATE trip. Some CRAZY SHIT happens on datura.

Not to be rude, but you don't appear to grasp the full picture when it comes to the dangers of datura. It is not a psychedelic or even a dissociative: it's a deliriant. A poison. Do you know what it means to be delirious? It's not a good thing, I can tell you that much.

Datura dries out your mucous membranes, causes a racing heart, horrifying hallucinations, loss of touch with reality, and for a good chunk of the people who try it, death or hospitalization. Again, datura is NOT a hallucinogen like LSD, shrooms, salvia, or peyote, so don't expect similar effects. And for the love of god, do your research before even CONSIDERING trying something so deadly as datura.

Jim Morrison did Datura once...and only once. He said it was the most fucked up shit in the world...

Blockade of sweat Glands,
Dry Mouth,
Dry Eyes,
vomiting with out anything coming out.
Seeing spiders and shit crawling out of peoples eyes.
Woo,

Jim Morrison did Datura once...and only once. He said it was the most fucked up shit in the world...

Where did you hear this from? I'm a huge Doors fan and I never heard of Morrison doing Datura.

But anyways, Datura sounds a lot like Belladonna...

I know a guy who uses datura semi-frequently. But he's a crazy kind of guy anyway...

I personally have a huge respect for datura. Perhaps one day I will venture to the realm of datura, but so far I don't consider myself ready... one has to be truly well prepared to approach this plant.

Where did you hear this from? I'm a huge Doors fan and I never heard of Morrison doing Datura.

But anyways, Datura sounds a lot like Belladonna...

datura, belladonna, henbage, mandrake...all offer the tropane alkaloids

looking for info on Datura stramonium AKA jimson weed

anyone ever use Datura stramonium AKA jamestown weed or jimson weed? i found it on wikipedia and i remember using it when i was younger like 10 years ago and i remember it being pretty trippy for a solid 2 days. i couldnt go to school or anything cause i was tripping so hard. just wondering if anyone has any specific dosing guides (when i did it i ate a handfull of seeds.) aparently you can make it into a tea which is suppose to be pretty goog. some native americans use it for rituals and they say "eat a little go to sleep, eat some more have a dream, eat some mor and not wake up" well i deff had a "dream" when i used i. thanks for your input guys.

Check out Erowids Datura Vault for dosing info and all other info you may be nteested in.
www.erowid.org/plants/datura/datura.shtml

Just be careful messing around with this stuff. It has caused deaths and is in no way a recreational psychedelic. In fact its not a psychedelic at all, its a deleriant.
Once again, be careful.

Do as much research as you can before deciding whether you want to take this stuff.

Yes, delirium is impossible to control solo. Also from what I've read and my one off personal experience with brugmansia, sleeping while on datura is a bad idea. Seems that sleep walking and doing completely crazy and random stuff and then waking up with no recollection to a broken house is a common theme.

Lately I've been considering another venture into that because I did learn something from the last experience, but under more controlled conditions with a couple of good sitters and a some slowly increased doses over a period to test effects. Not sure if I have the balls for it yet, but its been up for discussion lately for some reason between me and my friends. The more I think about it the more I think probably not.

Mega-merged this datura thread :)

Yet another warning:

Be extremely careful with tropane alkaloids and plants containing them, it has claimed numerous victims! Read everything you can about it before even considering looking at them!

Last edited:
When i took Datura, wrecklessly consumed half of a whole seed pot, skin husk seeds and all.
Not only that, the seed pod was dry. I was young, about 16 and completely unaware of what Datura actually was.
The reason why i took it, because i was told that it was a legal high. Not only that, i paid some asshole fucking 25 dollar for the goddamn hell that ensued.

So i consume this seed Pod on my lunch break at school, and manage to finish up my last class, before starting to really feel uncomfortable.

I began my walk home, and i remember looking down at the ground, and seeing my health card on the ground. The Month Previous to this, i had lost my health card twice, so i was desperately trying to pick up my health card off the ground, but no matter what i did, i couldn't it was as if my health card was part of the sidewalk. I had a "moment of clarity" before everything faded to black, but basically i remember looking up, and seeing that i was sitting in front of the police station of my City. Considering the highschool was only 2 blocks away, i realized i hadn't made it very far. As a Matter of fact, i was sitting on the ground, in the middle of the side walk, furiously scratching away at the concrete trying to pick up my health card. Once i made the realization that my health card was not actually there. the health card stood up verticle and started flipping its imprint into the concrete all the way down the side walk.

I heard laughter all around me, at this exact instant i stood up and frantically started my walk home i don't even taking the next set of steps in my journey.

Apparently this is where shit gets fucked. A Couple of my friends found me like in an Alley a few blocks away from my apartment Just stareing off into space, basically catatonic. Oddly enough, they escourted me home, and told me that despite not saying anything i had this look of relief on my face.

They took me home, and apparently this was just day one, of a two day, almost 3 day trip.

They noticed that my lips were dry, and i hadn't really closed my eyes, None of them had any idea what i took, and i was really starting to frighten my girlfriend because i actually hadn't said anywords. Apparently i was incredibly contained, just extremely catatonic.

When noon of the second day arrived and they saw that i was still fully pupil dialated, Mouth extremely dry, and eyes extremely red they put me into the bathtub with freezing cold water, which was where, i got my second moment of clarity, apparently as soon, as my fully clothed body was immersed in the water, i laughed and looked at my friends and said THERE YOU GUYS ARE, I'VE MISSED YOU, Hugging and like getting them all soaked with water.
Apparently this was my last moment of clarity before going catatonic one last time.
It was at this point my friends thought that i had totally lost it because i would make random and repetitive body gestures. When people would talk to me, i would make massive word salads that my friends thought were rather humorous.

The whole entire thing for me is an immense blur, i remember things like being led by a cowboy through the night, where, he was like training me to fight undead hordes in the Desert. Mind you I am 23 now, and oddly enough, i still have, memories that i know are stemming from that datura trip. While i was not showing any signs of fear on my physical form, i know that there is a part of my soul, that is forever changed because of Datura. I have never taken it again, and it actually took me about a year after trying it, to discover what it actually was.

This "drug" is not a drug, its a conciousness in a plant, that requires a central nervous system to be able to tell you its story, no different than mushrooms, But this one, is not one to be fucked with. It's seriously like being trapped in a nightmare with no real way to differentiate the difference between what is the dream, and what is actually going on.

I would suggest no one on here be wreckless with this. For about 2 months after that trip, i would wake up from nightmares every few nights that were so viscerally real and intense, it was actually like that hallucinatory cowboy who was leading me through the desert training me to fight the undead, was actually training me for an epic battle which was to occur in my dreams.

It really makes you question, the exact thickness of the curtain between us and the absolute unknown. Not saying that dream zombies are trying to take over our world by consuming our thought waves through sleep. But my goodness.

Anyways, thank you for reading.

Last edited:
Cowboy who trained you to fight undead horses :). You can't make something like that up! Thanks for another warning, although these Datura reports seem to only make people more interested in trying it. I love to read Datura reports for some reason but I would never take it. Kind of like slowing down to look at a bad car crash on the highway...wow glad that wasn't me.

i would refrain from takin that shit if at all possible.
I knew two kids that lived down the street from me that decided to find some datura and eat it.
both of them went completley insane, one moreso than the other
they described it as completley out of their body and inable to control anything
one of the kids tried to EAT SOAP for godsakes! lol
he went looney toons for 4+ days. he'd walk outside with his dick hangin out like it was nothing. he had to be rushed to the hospital.

before you take it, i would adivse reading as much as possible off Erowid. It's a great site
while a lot is still unknown look at the history and trip reports.

psychonautical, thats one hell of a trip man. i really enjoyed reading that

i too love reading the reports but would never consider taking any and would warn those that want to take it not to.

I too enjoy the reports, and think they are interesting for what they tell us about the perception of reality. The problem though isn't just people eating Datura - it's taking an uncontrolled dose of it. When I was in college I did an experiment where I made tea from homogenized Datura meteloides flowers. After assuring myself that just a nibble of a flower didn't do anything, I tried tea from one flower, then a few days later two flowers, and so on, so that I didn't suddenly find myself dealing with effects I couldn't handle. At six flowers I just barely started to have fleeting hallucinations, for an hour or two, enough to get an idea of what more would be like without having to actually go through that experience.

So although I agree with that great advice: It is better to learn from the mistakes of others than from your own, I also suggest, for someone who can't be dissuaded from trying Datura, to do it carefully and safely, and remember another great piece of advice: You can always take more, but you can't take less.