• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Harm Reduction The best filter for injection aside from a micron filter?

cheers, but no they are the old oc's everything is in chinese. But not the IR 5/10mg the old OC's with the film on the outside you remove with alcohol. thanks for the quick reply. Am I still good with a bit more water?

Assuming you are talking about an IR Oxy, with no acetaminophen: You can mix with water and filter with cotton. If you can see solids in your shot, you need to filter again. I shot roxies like that for a year without any lasting damage to my veins. I'm not going to say its *safe*, but you should be fine.

cigarette filters one of the best if you have no micron filters.

There aren't many things you can easily get ahold of that are as efficient as micron filters...

A simple online order can save your life...

Exactly....you can go online and get them for a few bucks each.

Cigarette filters have little fibers that come loose and into your solution (and then into your bloodstream).

I have no experience with actual OxyContin, but I know it will dissolve in water (Assuming it is not the newer OP). Should be fine as long as the shot is clear-ish with no solids.

I posted this in another thread, but it's good information to have in this thread as well.

I found this study which performed experiments with four types of filters, and compared the results. I quoted the method below, but the website in the link has more information.

Method: Permission was sought and granted from the Crown Office through the Procurator Fiscal for Grampian Region, to obtain street heroin for the purpose of this research project. Samples of street heroin from closed cases were supplied from Grampian Police after inspection of the premises and approval of the project by the Home Office. Semi structured interviews were carried out with 20 current or ex injecting drug users, to establish the methods they used to prepare their injections. Harm reduction leaflets were consulted to ensure that the preparation technique used followed the best practice advice given ( Exeter Drugs Project, 2nd Ed; HIT, 1995). From this, the laboratory method was established.

250mg of street heroin was weighed accurately. This quantity was chosen because most drug users reported injecting a 'quarter gram bag' or preparing a 'quarter gram hit' and sharing it with a partner. Citric acid was stated as the preferred additive and the quantity used described as a 'small pinch'. Ten 'small pinches' of citric acid were weighed and the average weight taken (14mg). Therefore 14mg of citric acid BP. was weighed accurately and added to the heroin. This was then transferred onto a clean metal tea spoon and 0.8ml water freshly boiled and cooled from the kettle was added. This quantity was used because 80 units (the measure on an insulin syringe equivalent to 0.8ml) was the quantity most commonly reported as used. This was then stirred with the sheathed end of an insulin syringe and heated over a flame. The point where the solid mass appeared to sink to the bottom of the spoon and the top liquid appeared clear and began to bubble was taken to be the end point of heating, as described during the interviews.

The three make shift filters were investigated: (1) A quarter of a cigarette filter, prepared by removing the outer paper, tearing in half then cutting in half again. This was stated to be the most popular filter used by those interviewed. (2) A hand rolling filter (Rizla 7mm acetate filter), no preparation necessary. This type of filter is distributed by some needle exchanges in the UK. (3) A tip from a cotton bud, removed by pulling gently with the fingers and rolling the end fibres into a thread (perceived to reduce fibre shedding). This was stated to be used by some of those interviewed, if no cigarette filter was available. The commercial syringe filter investigated was the 5 micron Acrodisk, made by Gelman Sciences. This filter is specifically designed for use by medical and scientific staff to remove particles from injections. The particles were detected using the Coulter MultisizerÒ. The size range of particles selected for analysis was between 2 to 60 microns, to ensure those of interest were detecteda. Controls were analysed using injections made with water only, both boiled and cooled from the kettle and water for injection. These were done to confirm that the heroin is the major source of particles and not the water and preparation procedure. Unfiltered and filtered injections were analysed. Each experiment was repeated three times and the average result taken. Change in concentration of diamorphine was measured using Capillary Zone Electrophoresis (Hewlett Packard), using a method developed for a separate research project (Mrs Ann Low, personal communication). The concentrations before and after filtration were compared. Each sample was assayed twice and the average result was taken. Street heroin is made up of many opiates, diamorphine usually being the principle one. Therefore it is important to note that further work is necessary to measure all opiates in the sample to gain a complete understanding of how the filtration process may affect the psychoactive effects of injections made from street heroin (source).

Percentage of particles removed by the four different filters used in this experiment

Cigarette Filter​
Rizla Filter​
Cotton Bud​
Micron Filter​
79.4​
90.4​
89.4​
95.1​

The descriptions of these filters are in bold in the above quote. I wanted to point out that they refer to micron or 'wheel' filters as 'syringe filters.' I switched it to micron filter on the chart since we mostly refer to them as such here on bluelight. The Rizla filters are the filters you use to roll your own cigarettes (particularly in the UK), although I'm not sure if the Rizla 7mm acetate filter is the best one to use out of all the different Rizla filter sizes.

If you are not using a micron/wheel filter, then Rizla 7mm acetate filters are the second best choice. However, most people that don't use micron filters seem to use either regular cigarette filters, or cotton swabs. According to this study, cotton filters are more effective than cigarette filters, so those of you that have contemplated between the two now have your answer as to which one you should use.

Most of this is addressed in my post. There certainly seems to be a difference in effectiveness between a cigarette filter that you just cut off of a cigarette from a pack, and the cigarette filters that are sold separately to roll your own cigarettes. This study shows that cigarette filters from packs of cigarettes are less effective than cotton buds, but the filters sold separately for rolling your own cigarettes are slightly more effective than cotton filters, or at least the particular brand and size used in this study are.

"The Rizla filter and cotton bud are similar in the amount of particles they remove, 90.4% and 89.4% respectively. However, the Rizla filter requires minimal handling compared to the cotton bud and is less fibrous, so less likely to shed fibres that could potentially get into injections and consequently veins (source)."

i have 100 10's and have no wheels. I am not going to just eat them so aside from the cotton wool is there any other filtration method I could use to help 'clean' out the fillers/binders?

I merged this in with an existing thread, and quoted my old post that should give you your answer.

Subutex - IVing without a Wheel Filter (But the best way to do it)

Ok, I am very experienced in this subject as I have been doing this for about 8 months. NOW let me tell you this. THIS IS VERY DANGEROUS AND SHOULD NOT BE IV'D. Many people cant afford wheel filters and blah blah blah.

Using a cotton to suck up into syringe is NOT ENOUGH. . THE BEST way is to WASH YOUR HANDS. Get a cotton ball filter (Make it a big one) roll it up into a ball that will fit into the syringe. Plunge it to the bottom (where the needle is) Now make your mix, 100cc of water mixed with 4 mg of Subutex. or 8 mg but i rather do 4 since it has way less of a chance of clogging. ok so u have ur 4 mg mixed in the water. Now take a dummy syringe and suck it all up. It will look MILKY and horrible disgusting to think that this will go into your vein. Thats because it should not. NOW take the DUmmy Syringe ( With the milk in it ) and shot it into the syringe with the cotton at the bottom near the needle. Put the plunger back in it. and shoot the liquid back out onto a clean spoon. U will see that the liquid is see through. Bassically Water

Once u finnally have the CLEAR liquid onto the spoon, through another much smaller cotton filter in the spoon and use ur Injection needle to suck it up back. Now you have as much of the by products out of the liquid and you are good to go with IVING.

This is still very dangerous but way safer then shooting milk into your system.

I think a lot of use who do this, do it because holding that nasty pill under your tongue just isnt good enough and it taste horrible and the pill its self is WAY to big. We need subutex to make the strips like suboxone does but still have it way cheaper.

Anyways I hope this saves a lot of people from getting talc and other horrible chemicals in there system.

^^î highly recommend AGAINST IV'ing subs EVEN with wheel filters, not even taking into account of the dangers, it's a mediocre rush and high compared to other opiates, not that i'm recommending anyone take, let alone IV ANY opiate....

However for HR purposes, for people who can't get wheel filters and are going to IV subs anyway, i suppose the OP's advice is good HR! :)

IME there is absolutely no rush whatsoever from injecting bupenorphine. I was anti-bupe for a long time until about 2 weeks ago. A friend gave me a quarter of an 8mg to try. 0 rush. The high was decent I guess. Why IV something if you don't get a rush? Isn't that the point?

because some people are addicted to the needle just as much the drug. and when i do a half a sub i feel amazing. Dont care about the high. its like ... I dk i cant explain it. BUT what is really horrible is how nasty these pills taste and how big they are... If i could afford suboxone i would take it but its just way to expensive.

You should try to lower your dose if you are going to do it this way, like not over 1-2mg a day preferblay 1mg and under...it will provide you with at least a LITTLE buzz/glow if you say do it a couple times a day at microgram levels.... like 300mcg 2-3 times a day, or 500mgc one time in the morning, then 250-300mcg at night....

No offence... Seriously.
If you're shooting bupe... You're at some sort of bottom

Have to disagree with that hunter1... a lot of people shoot their bupe PURELY out of economical reasons(the damn things are expensive) it's tempting just for the fact that you can make ONE pill/strip last 8 days, some people can make one two weeks, I've heard anyway...

With plugging I make my 8mg strips last 4-8 days easily, you're just dosing too high if you're not. There's really no reason to dose above around 4mg, ever, IMO. I know people doing in excess of 2 buns a day of IV heroin that are held by 2mg of bupe. I know it's counterintuitive to what all drug addicts think but with buprenorphine less is always more.

I did my first test with shooting sub strips today. I took a quarter strip dissolved it water used a cotton the used another cotton and it came out pretty clear. I gotta tell you though I really didnt get much out of it probably cuz Im on it maybe if I did more I wouldve felt something but I dont think its worth it.

You're not going to get more out of it because it's a drug designed NOT give you anything fun. It's made to stop withdrawal and cravings while giving the smallest high possible, and they did a very good job. There is a bit of glow but it's hardly a high and increasing the dose to feel more is useless. Try lowering your dose to 1-2mg daily, skip a few days to let some more clear out of your system (you won't be withdrawing in that time, I promise) and try again when you start to feel sick with about 1-2mg max. That's about all you're gonna get out of it.

No offence... Seriously.
If you're shooting bupe... You're at some sort of bottom

Arnt we all? That doesn't help him one bit even if you mean no offense.

And to the OP your method is the next best way to shoot a pill besides using micron filters but I agree with screamingskull if you want a good high with bupe then stick to under 2mgs a day anymore is just wasteful (especially if your IVing) and takes away from any high you may have got from buprenorphine. The reson this is so is because it stays a partial agonist in high doses yet low doses convert to a full agonist. When I shot bupe I shot about 0.2 mgs every 4 hours or so this was the sweet spot for me.

And that solution may seem like water but really it is full of particles that can cause an embolism if their big enough not to fit through your capillaries. Smaller ones build up in your liver and spleen over time and can cause conditions you don't want.
A cotton will filter down to about 50 microns whereas a wheel filter can filter particles as small as 0.22 microns so you can see their is a huge difference. Particles larger than 5 microns significantly increase the chances of an embolism whereas particles smaller than 5microns end up in your organs of here they build up. Your capillaries are only about 8 microns wide so one day you very well could shoot a hard particle that isn't very soft and formable and is bigger than the diameter of your capillaries leaving you in some trouble.

But I would rather see you do it with cotton rather than nothing that's for sure. Uhh I've had people come on here saying they shoot 4 mgs at a time and their process for IVing is simply sticking the pill in a syringe then drawing up water and shaking it around until dissolved then shooting it without any filtering whatsoever. Can't imagine people doing that live very long.

Last edited:
Hello everyone, I'm new to this site and this will be my first post.

I've read a lot on this website in the past, and while researching various filtering methods for pill injection, I've seen quite a few posts that mention the significance of wheel filters, however; it seems that everyone on this site is familiar with them, but they're entirely unheard of in my location. I've read that various pharmacies carry them, but I've looked at every one within a 30 mile radius of where I live and I can't find a pharmacy that sells them. Furthermore, when I ask for them, the pharmacy employees look dumbfounded and are completely clueless.

Getting to my point......... I've been clean from heroin for over 6 years, however; in my hometown, blasting subutex/suboxone is the latest and fastest growing trend. Since I no longer have a tolerance to opiates, I've always been able to get a very good buzz from taking 4mgs the sublingual route, but my curiosity got the best of me.... and swim decided to try the IV route (which is fantastic when swims tolerance is low).

Since swim can't obtain wheel filters, he takes 4mgs and dissolves it in about 1cc of room temp or cold water and then takes a fairly large piece of cotton (about 1.5 ends town off a q-tip) and rolls it up into a ball and then takes the cotton ball and wraps a piece of coffee filter around it and twists it tightly around the ball and cuts off the excess coffee filter. Swim then wraps it again in a coffee filter and twists it tightly and cuts the excess so the final filtering product is a tightly rolled up cotton ball double wrapped in coffee filters. Swim then inserts his insulin syringe into the middle of the ball and puts it into the solution with the dissolved subutex tablet. When the solution is pulled back into the barrel, it's crystal clear and this is the solution swim then administers to himself.

I know that this method isn't the most effective, but I believe since wheel filters cannot be obtained, it's a much better option than simply using a piece of cotton or cigarette filter (which is what EVERYBODY else does that IVs bupe in my hometown). In terms of harm reduction, does anybody have any advice on this issue? I'd really appreciate any feedback. Also, I have noticed that although the solution appears crystal clear, by no means does it remove all of the binders and fillers. When swim knocks the air out of the syringe, he occasionally squirts a few drops of the solution out and they land on his black desk. When that solution dries up and the water evaporates, there is still a great deal of white shit left behind.....

I've encouraged other people to use this method if they're going to be IV'ing bupe, but unfortunately, they're all content with filtering it a single time through a piece of cotton. There are even a few individuals that do not use any filter at all (when IV'ing the strips, not the tablets).I certainly hope they don't experience severe long term side effects, but it's very likely that they will have some health problems down the road.

Anyways, I'm just looking for feedback about this method so I appreciate all considerations given to this post, thanks everyone.

Bupe was taken off the market in the UK and was not used in drug treatment for almost two decades because of the damage it did when it was injected. If you miss it can cause deep ulceration as it is very caustic to tissue, I have seen some awful wounds as you are are potentially about to too.
It's your life and your arm and this is your warning, there is no safe way to do it. My best advice? shoot up in the arm that you don't wipe your arse with cos it is really difficult using the other one and nobody else is likely to volunteer.

Bupe was taken off the market in the UK and was not used in drug treatment for almost two decades because of the damage it did when it was injected. If you miss it can cause deep ulceration as it is very caustic to tissue, I have seen some awful wounds as you are are potentially about to too.
It's your life and your arm and this is your warning, there is no safe way to do it. My best advice? shoot up in the arm that you don't wipe your arse with cos it is really difficult using the other one and nobody else is likely to volunteer.

Well i can safely say your wrong. Im from uk and friend of mine is on subutex (not suboxone) and has been for a long time.

Last edited: