The Beatles vs The Rolling Stones

Who do YOU prefer: The Beatles or The Rolling Stones?

• Total voters
The Beatles were clean cut, nancy boys whereas the Rolling Stones, they were down right dirty!

Depending how you like your druggy sway, the Rolling Stones were all all hard core...man 8) oops up yeh :D

You do realize you're talking about a band that traveled to India, slept in tents while taking copious amounts of LSD, grew their beards for months and refused to get out of bed (yet still managed to record music) for just as long, yes?

But I digress, we already covered shtick vs. the actual music ;)

It feels like I'm just wanking it now, but I also forgot to mention the subject matter found within the music of The Beatles. The early days were cutsie by today's (even by mid 60's) standards, sure. But the attitude changed because the beatles changed. As mentioned above, it's all about context. In 1963, Lennon told a crowd of thousands (including the Queen) "If you're sitting in the cheap seats, we'd like you to clap our hands a long to this number. If you're up on the balcony, just rattle your jewelry!") Even during this early period, before She Loves You, before Ed Sullivan and I want to Hold your Hand, the Beatles were high on speed and openly acknowledging class warfare in England.

When the Stones were releasing Aftermath, The Beatles were releasing Revolver. So many new innovations were being discovered (such as the backwards guitar that Hendrix would make famous), so many new ideas were being introduced to a mass western audience (Tomorrow Never Knows being heavily influenced by the Tibetan Book of the Dead), John and George's Eastern philosophies, string arrangements like on Eleanor Rigby weren't even within the grasp of the stones at that time.

Gimme Shelter is indeed one of the greatest tracks of all time. But compare it to the Abbey Road Medley. The complexity, the emotion. The Beatles could be fucking raw. Yer Blues, I believe, anyway, was a jab at Mick Jagger & Co. The composition of While My Guitar Gently Weeps, and Clapton's solos over it was just unmatched at the time.

If it's rawness and intensity you're after, look into Lennon's solo work. Cold Turkey, Well, Well, Well, I found out. This was extremely harsh material. And had the Beatles gone on into the 70s, some of that radical (politically and musically) oomph may have crept into the Beatle's discography. It's important to remember, the Beatles were pretty much dunzo by the time Brian Jones died.

Last edited:
John Lennon post-beatles when the FBI were hounding him for his political activities.
He produced this guy's LP The Pope Smokes Dope which was banned in most countries except for the US and Canada iirc:
[video=youtube_share;ThUkPscsUEU]http://youtu.be/ThUkPscsUEU[/video]

In the morning,
Wanna die.
In the evening,
Wanna die.

That's some dark shit. Great great great song!

You do realize you're talking about a band that traveled to India, slept in tents while taking copious amounts of LSD, grew their beards for months and refused to get out of bed (yet still managed to record music) for just as long, yes?

But I digress, we already covered shtick vs. the actual music ;)

You do realize.. how much of a PR stunt that may be was? 8(

Dirty, yep, bad, oh aye 8)
The Rolling Stones - Sympathy For The Devil

I used to love the Rolling Stones around 10 years ago, I suddenly stopped showing interest of them. In the other hand, that never happened to me with The Beatles.

Probably that's because the psychedelic side of The Beatles and how it feels when you listen to them while you are tripping, specially if you do it with someone you love <3

My favorite song is "A Day in Life": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-Q9D4dcYng

I used to love the Rolling Stones around 10 years ago, I suddenly stopped showing interest of them. In the other hand, that never happened to me with The Beatles.

Probably that's because the psychedelic side of The Beatles and how it feels when you listen to them while you are tripping, specially if you do it with someone you love <3

My favorite song is "A Day in Life": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-Q9D4dcYng

I totally get this <3

Lovely song to trip to. However..if you'd like to be confronted by reality, set this sound in for some rock hard in your face...chaos

Rolling Stones - Beggars Banquet

love both but definetly bigger beatles fan.They as a colletive are the greatest though individually only George was an elite musician. George only has a few cuts per album but his 2 on abbey road are incredible. John was the poet and fantastic lyricist ,while paul did the poppy ear candy songs(which are good but no john) and ringo well lets repeat a famous lennon quote saying he was the least best drummer in the band. But the stones have 2 complete albums I truly love beginning to end beggars banquet and my all time favorite sticky fingers(beautiful and bluesy).A lot of people down much of the stones work after 73 and I understand this but the second half of tattoo you(start me up sucks) is really an album of old cuts many recorded with mick taylor(between 68-73) and is truly a great half of an album.It's close but I vote the fab four.Alost forgot the most important beatle of them all and that's the great George martin,he plays melotron on many beatle songs including in my life(song always makes me melancholy in a cheerful way,does that make sense).

I just read this about beatles being nancy boys and am led to believe some dipshit that didn't know of their ruff and tumble early days in hamburg where they'd fight with the audience and lennon would come out scream sieg heil you nazi bastards to the crowd(germans, not 15 years after ww2). The beatles dressing in suits and having the haircuts was a carefully crafted pr move by brian epstien(the boys hated it) .Also if you want to get into nancy boys when the stones started out there is multiple rumours that mick,keith and brian while living together shared everything(including each other). The beatles were from ruff and tough liver pool while the only tough one in the stones is keith(hard poor upbringing.Mick and brian were nancy boys. I love em both but how can you call the fab four nancy boys?

I need a fix 'cause I'm going down
Down to the bits that I left uptown
I need a fix 'cause I'm going down

Mother Superior jump the gun

Happiness is a warm gun (Happiness bang, bang, shoot, shoot)
Happiness is a warm gun, mama (Happiness bang, bang, shoot, shoot)
When I hold you in my arms (Oo-oo oh yeah)
And I feel my finger on your trigger (Oo-oo oh yeah)
I know nobody can do me no harm (Oo-oo oh yeah)
Now that's some dark boot dope shit,white album is great

Wait a minute the beatles couldn't handle their drugs?How many of them died of overdose?Ever hear of Brian Jones?