Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Film The Avengers

how many stars?

• [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/1star.gif[/img]

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
^I'm glad you could have your feminist moment.
NSFW:
Still, have you read Hanna Rosin's stuff? I think she's pretty on point for the most part. With single women being the number one young home buyers far in excess of young men and women overtaking men in middle management positions, I sort of think feminism has worked, and well too. No, you're not presidents or the majority CEOs just yet, but it's clear in the experience of the typical young male living today that women are taking power. Look at all the newer representations of men in pop culture: we're Homer Simpsons, 40 year old virgins, or we've "failed to launch." Combine that with around 40:60 male:female college graduation figures and think on it. Yeah, the old guard still maintains the hierarchy, but what about the younger generations? There's vestiges of sexism everywhere, with "girl power" often culturally portrayed as consisting only of beauty and sexual power, to be sure, but when you look at the actual data on the ground you've come a long way baby. If anything there needs to be a re-jiggered masculinity, because right now it looks like young men are treading water if not sinking.

Last edited:
see, that's the problem. people think that just because women made some advances and are only a little behind the men, that everything is fine and dandy!! there's still a lot of gender based issues that are very significant.

NSFW:
Fine and dandy? Two exclamation points!!? Of course there's still gender-based issues, including growing issues on the male side of things. Nobody's dismissing anything wholesale, so don't get hysterical honey. Sometimes I wonder if women's reactions to Hanna Rosin-type arguments are even more volatile then men's. I understand why women would be reluctant to hear the news. Being a player in power breeds misery and there's hell on the horizon. Women are coming into it and realizing why their fathers and grandfathers drank themselves into a stupor every night. Hope y'all got the balls to deal. We'll be playing X-Box and working our part-time jobs, but text us if you need something and we'll try to get to it tomorrow afternoon when we wake up. [/humor]

lolfeminism

anyway, i also have few adaptations which rub me the wrong way. however they need to completely miss the mark in the translation. the aeon flux movie, for instance, which misses the entire point of the series (sadomasochism) and reverts to the cliche'd "origin" story. part of the charm was not know how that situation came about. the myth was destroyed, star wars style. they *could* redeem it a little if they followed on with a genuine headfuck of a movie, but that will never happen, sadly. the spawn film was another atrocity (whatever happened to the sam & twitch based, se7en inspired, sequel???).

as a contrary example, there are more differences than i can count in the american film adaptation of my beloved dragon ball comic book series. however, despite the cliche ridden film, it did retain much of the tone and spirit of the books. the many, many changes, are therefore forgivable.

that's actually hilarious that you think the Avengers is some sort of girl power type of comic book. it is anything but that. in fact, the Avengers have always missed their mark when dealing with women's issues. if you want to see strong comic book characters as women, Avengers is NOT your comic

hell, look at how Tony Stark acts (in the books he's a playboy but a bit more dark, has a drinking problem, etc). he is pretty much the definition of a philandering, male-pig

but the most offensive take that the Avengers took on the fairer sex is once again - how Giant Man used to beat the Wasp senselessly in their domestic partnership, because he is one fucked up man (who eventually gets what is coming for him as Captain America nearly beats him to death)

and don't talk shit about the Black Widow. while I wasn't the happiest seeing Scarlett Jo portray her, Black Widow is one mean lady. hell, she doesn't have ANY super-powers besides kicking ass and taking names. and she is invited into the Avengers, an inherent boys club. Natasha Romanoff demands respect

related reading for women's issues in comics: Women in Refrigerators