Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

The Aus Social Fishingpersons thread

Klue

Bluelight Crew
Fishing in Australia is our most popular recreational sport. Personally, I love it. There is nothing like the feeling of landing a good sized fish, it's adrenaline. I've grown up fishing really, it can be frustrating sometimes but it's worth the effort when you learn how to do things properly.

I caught a decent sized Bream tonight, 29cm. Good table size, lol some people call Bream turds :D

This time of year here means Tailor are making their migration into warmer water so there are plenty around it seems. I don't mind fishing off break walls into the surf during the day for them, but the best time is at night and off the beach in gutters and I hate getting wet like that! Maybe I should invest in a nice pair of waders and a raincoat.

There has been some discussion of fishing of recent, so lets give this thread a go here. There is a thread in Sports & Gaming if anyone is interested. Here.

Pics for inspiration:

NSFW:
2246324266_06dc5331f4.jpg

2072.jpg

2004121510253_27cm%20and%2038cm%20Botany%20Bream.jpg

I used to into fishing big time going back maybe 10-15 years ago. All sorts of stuff like beach fishing, rock fishing, spear fishing and lure spinning on shallow water reefs.

Also went through a phase of late night squid jigging. We used to set up a fire with a wok and then pull squid out of the water, quickly separate them, wash them off in salt water, slice with a professional $500 sashimi knife (i won in a competition *stupid i know*) and lob into the wok with garlic and chili - FRESSSSSSSSHHH!

These days though I can only really get enthused about deep sea and general 3km off shore fishing. Its the only way I can get satisfaction.

I'm still partial to spinning though, it is relaxing.

I think the fish populations have either moved on or disappeared, but they just aren't around in the roc fishing spots and I haven't got the time to look for them.

Klue, do you think there is anything to the idea that the on shore fish populations are missing?

I mostly shore fish but am considering buying something like this if all goes to plan.

bd5512055762926558042.jpg

Until then, I only fish shorelines and breakwaters unless I get out on a friends boat.

Having said that, there are some spots that always catch; otherwise it's pot luck some days.

Fish population is definitely dwindling.

Ever since i moved to Perth, I lost interest in fishing, but while i was up north (Darwin) we were fishing every weekend.

Darwin Harbour produces some great fishing, Tuna, Giant Trevally, Spanish Mackerel, Rock Cod, Sting Ray's and Barramundi, but getting Barramundi in the harbor is pretty rare, i think because it depends on the tides..

As for Shady Camp, Corroboree Billabong, East/West Alligator River and the Yellow Water's National park, the Barramundi fishing is phenomenal. Best bet is mainly after the wet season run-offs (August/September), Lure's are the way to go but it's always good fun to chuck out a live bait.

Another good thing about the harbour though is the reef's and artificial ones. Plenty of Japanese planes are scattered here and there, and also just before i left Darwin, they were sinking all the "People Smuggling" boat's coming from Indonesia to create artificial reef's close to the wharf for people that didn't have access to boat's etc etc..

I have plenty of photo's but since digital camera's didn't exist back then i cant upload them haha.

I have only recently started to get back into it and glad I'm did, I went down south chasing Salmon and we defiantly did good. Our first day down in Dunsborough, we scored 4 Salmon, i got busted off twice and my mate had a run with a Stingray but cut the chase short because he was losing to much braid.

Good Times

Last edited:
Absolutely fish stock is dwindling! There is a theory that if there isn't an international regulation of some sort on overfishing that in the next ~30 years there will be no fish left at all. I have even noticed the change and I'm not quite 30, but it's a definite thing. Prawns (shellfish in general) and fish were much more abundant in previous generations.

Seeing as most fisheries world wide are overexploited, many beyond the point of repair, and scientists keep being ignored in regards to quotas for population survival I wouldn't be suprised that recreational fisherman would be noticing catch declines in the slightest. It's my bet you'd be getting smaller fish on average too seeing as overfishing knocks out a lot of the allelic variation inherent in larger fish driving species size down over a few decades.

I know fishing's fun but if I did it I'd personally be having ethical issues justifying it on top of the absolute rape the commercial industries are perpetrating on the oceans, when you add mass illegal fishing on top of the legally sanctioned overexploitation of particular species the ocean's future is particularly dire. The way shark populations are plummeting, and their k-selected lifecycles, in our lifetime we'll probably see the direct effects possible towards turning an ecosystem (the world's largest) on its head via wiping out all the apex predators. Expect this soon in local waters with our insistent continuation for 70 fucking years of the Shark Meshing Program.

Last edited:
As with everything I post please take with a grain of salt, not trying to rain on anyone's parade. Although the main problem is with commercial fishing, recreational fishermen can have significant impacts on coastal areas, particularly with fishing in lakes and estuaries which are grounds for larger pelagic fish to mature safely.

Of course most people follow catch guides which is all well and good but population sampling for most fish species is both flawed and has not had the effort put into it that it needs to date.

BruceJewfish1970.jpg

here is a photo of a Jew Fish I caught with my bare hands whilst wading out to sea to do an aqua bog ;)

but seriously

I love fishing. I have a shitload of tackle, expensive fishing rods and a bunch of local fishing possies to boot. But fo some reason I just cant catch that elusive monster. Mostly small Tailors, Slimey Mackeral, Grunters and a TONNE of fucking Toadies.

That's a jew fish? Fuck me. I thought it was a QLD grouper at 1st glance.

Yeah he is a whopper hey! Funnily enough, that photo looks a good 30 years old though. I haven't seen one that big before, there would be a few around I guess.

I could go fishing tonight but there has been a few days rain here so they will be off the bite for a few days while it clears up. Spoke to a mate in town today who said he hasn't got stuck into any Tailor yet either.

When I was a kid I used to wake up in the morning just as my dad and his friends were bringing the boat home and unloading the catch of the morning. They used to pull Jew fish of gargantuan size (probably seemed bigger to a 5 year old, but still big) however, nothing as big as the monster in that picture.

Klue do you run any live bait or use yackers at all?

LOL what is a yacker? Do you mean yabbies? No live fish bait yet, but I bought a float and some split shot sinkers so I am set up to catch mullet. I bought a new reel so that I could have two rods, one for catching live bait or general fishing and one so that I could have a live bait out there at the same time. In NSW you're only allowed to have two lines in the water at a time... but then I snapped one of my rods, so that dashed that plan.

And I would love to catch a jewfish, that and a big mangrove jack. The ultimate catch.

I heart fishing. Since I broke up with my ex I don't have anyone to go out with anymore :(

^ Out to sea? I go by myself! It's good to get out of the house and get a bit of space. Plus getting out in nature, well the rivers around here are nice anyway. But you're a city girl hey? There would be some alright spots around the National Park.

Actually, there has been a few deaths of people rock fishing down there lately hasn't there.

Sliiiiiiiightly off topic but, best eating fish in my fellow BLers opinions?

I absolutely adore coral trout, best eating fish ever! :D But I must say Fingermark are very very close if not better. Just much more hard to come by :\ I've only ever caught 1 coral trout in my life, disgraceful. My old man is much more of a mackerel fisherman so that is what I've learned to do as well. Can't wait to figure out how to catch coral trout on a regular basis :D

A flatmates dad used to study coral trout for the fisheries department and he would always bring us fresh fillets for dinner. I think it is the best warm water fish for eating. When the water is cold nothing beats snapper.

On a related note we are having mussel's steamed in leek, white wine and blue cheese broth for dinner. With chips and aoli.

^ I make something similar to that, totally rocks :D

At what institute was this coral trout study done??

Best fish every eaten: Mangrove Jack.

+1 for Mangrove Jack and Barra :)

Only shit thing about the MJ is the bloody bones...Id be careful filleting it, but still end up with loads on my plate :\