• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

the 2013/2014 nfl thread v. in a snowglobe in a dollar store

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ugly injury for Keller : /

A DE for the broncos just got carted off the field too.

These Seahawk announcers make me want to hurl, you'd think they had won 3 straight superbowls the way they're talking about their team.

Been watching preseason football today.

My god most of these announcers are horrible. They're either incompetent or horribly biased or both (the Cowboys announcers were especially bad).

omg yes, this seriously pisses me off big time. cant get anymore obvious.

apparently nbc now has a sports radio station

on ride home from golf tonight some fantasy dork was on and was asked for ONE sleeper

he said chris givens, moments after thinking, 'he's going to say chris givens'

damnit, he's my fucking secret prize, the amount of balls he's caught over 50 yards is pretty astounding, think he had 7 last year, 2 of them with Richard Sherman trying to cover him, and had a streak of 5 consecutive games with a catch over 50 yards, a rookie record

he has one 50+ yd reception in each pre season game thus far (4 possessions?), he's the WR mike Wallace wishes to be

I see Givens as a 40 catch 800 yard 6 TD receiver at best unless Bradford really steps up this year.

If he had a more consistent QB then he would be fantasy gold.

Keller injury..... yikes. What a bitch ass tackle by that guy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsQtwZopF7s

The NFL has this big problem with tackling high, but they don't seem to have any problem with dudes going right for the knee caps. All that "not tackling high will prevent traumatic brain injury" crap is bullshit and not backed up by any scientific data.

A knee injury like this could end Keller's career, even with all the advancements in ACL rehab made today. This reminds me of the hit on Willis McGahee back in the 2002 National Championship game against Ohio State:

The fact that he still had a prolific NFL career is a testament to just how talented he is, but he never came back as the same player he would have been had the injury not occurred.

The NFL has this big problem with tackling high, but they don't seem to have any problem with dudes going right for the knee caps. All that "not tackling high will prevent traumatic brain injury" crap is bullshit and not backed up by any scientific data.

Helmet to helmet hits DO cause serious brain injury.

However I do agree that it is BS that the NFL singles out players that hit up high compered to those that go low. Its because of former NFL players that are suing for brain injuries (they have a much better case for bigger damages than guys with messed up knees). All the while they pretend like they are some sort of saintly organization that genuinely cares about their players, when really they dont give a shit about anything other than the bottom line.

Helmet to helmet hits DO cause serious brain injury.

However I do agree that it is BS that the NFL singles out players that hit up high compered to those that go low. Its because of former NFL players that are suing for brain injuries (they have a much better case for bigger damages than guys with messed up knees). All the while they pretend like they are some sort of saintly organization that genuinely cares about their players, when really they dont give a shit about anything other than the bottom line.

Well, yes and no.

The primary cause of the syndrome currently effecting some former NFL players is not necessarily causally linked to violent helmet to helmet collisions, or even concussions. Although there is a very strong correlation between players who have suffered multiple concussions and later were diagnosed with the syndrome (the name escapes me), many of the individuals suffering from it were never diagnosed as having suffered a concussion throughout their entire career.

It is believed that the collisions one's head/helmet makes with the ground, and the way the brain rattles in the skull from a typical hit in the NFL (regardless of whether or not there was any helmet to helmet contact, it need not be present), have a far greater impact on the development of this syndrome than some rare instances involving head to head collisions, for which there were already restrictions in place to guard against injury to the spinal cord (players were not allowed to lead with their helmets, or "spear," while tackling).

So basically, all these rule changes will have absolutely no impact on the rate of players who end up suffering severe long-term effects from playing football. The only rule change that is scientifically and medically relevant is the rule that states that players who suffer concussions must sit out the remainder of the contest, and may not return to full contact action until all post-concussive symptoms have abated. That is a very good rule. The rest is total bullshit designed to make it look like they give a fuck about players so they can safeguard themselves against lawsuits or *gasp* having to pay retirees who are suffering due to the NFL's withholding of medically relevant information (which is as you said).

Basically, these guys would rather ruin football in the long term, for everybody and forever, than lose just a little bit of money in the short term.

Look at these hits..... you're telling me the ground is what caused the injury here? Having a hard projectile meet you in a head on collision has much more potential to cause harm than landing on the ground. Hitting the ground can cause concussions too, but there is no way to ban that. As much as I think the motives behind banning helmet to helmet hits for the NFL is stupid, there is no doubt that limiting those types of hits will cut down on concussions.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d81b62126/DeSean-Jackson-Dunta-Robinson-injured

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9oTWgk9JGw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvRKHy0QWZE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2iGzAJIHX8

Looking at your schedule.....

bills
jets
bucs
falcons
bengals
saints
jets
dolphins
steelers
panthers
broncos
texans
browns
dolphins
ravens
bills

To me, thats pretty soft. I guess it could be softer is if you played the AFC west instead of the north, but still half those teams are basically free wins. IF the pats and broncos were in any other divisions in football they would be much less likely to make the playoffs, but as it stands they are the most for sure division winners in the league going into the season. Theyre good teams for sure but there is no denying they benefit from a soft schedule. If you look at the 49ers schedule comparatively there are only a handful of games that look to be walk overs on paper.
i dont even know if soft is the word for this.. rigged may be better.

whats with the v of this thread.. does that refer to my man?
green_bay_packers_football_club_wallpaper.jpg

Look at these hits..... you're telling me the ground is what caused the injury here? Having a hard projectile meet you in a head on collision has much more potential to cause harm than landing on the ground. Hitting the ground can cause concussions too, but there is no way to ban that. As much as I think the motives behind banning helmet to helmet hits for the NFL is stupid, there is no doubt that limiting those types of hits will cut down on concussions.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d81b62126/DeSean-Jackson-Dunta-Robinson-injured

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9oTWgk9JGw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvRKHy0QWZE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2iGzAJIHX8

Maybe, but concussions aren't the major problem the NFL is facing. Chronic traumatic encephalopathy is, and that is going to occur in football players regardless of whether they take any hits to the helmet or not, simply due to the force of impact rattling their brain in their skulls. The new "how to hit properly" rules are practically irrelevant in the prevention of this disease. Chris Henry was found to have had early signs of it despite ostensibly never suffering a single concussion.

The single best preventive measure is simply to hold concussed players out until symptoms have abated (which I am 120% in favor of), but some players are going to get CTE regardless of the measures the NFL takes to avoid it. There is no good reason to change the way the game is played to the extent the NFL has done.

Last edited:
I see Givens as a 40 catch 800 yard 6 TD receiver at best unless Bradford really steps up this year.

If he had a more consistent QB then he would be fantasy gold.
those numbers for givens sound about right

but, you just don't get it at all regarding Bradford's performance
clearly you didn't see a game of his while at OU

his coaches, oline and WRs in his first 3 years were minor leaguers , most are not even in the league anymore

alex smith would be out of the league if he was in Bradford's draft class and taken #1

Well, yes and no.

The primary cause of the syndrome currently effecting some former NFL players is not necessarily causally linked to violent helmet to helmet collisions, or even concussions. Although there is a very strong correlation between players who have suffered multiple concussions and later were diagnosed with the syndrome (the name escapes me), many of the individuals suffering from it were never diagnosed as having suffered a concussion throughout their entire career.

It is believed that the collisions one's head/helmet makes with the ground, and the way the brain rattles in the skull from a typical hit in the NFL (regardless of whether or not there was any helmet to helmet contact, it need not be present), have a far greater impact on the development of this syndrome than some rare instances involving head to head collisions, for which there were already restrictions in place to guard against injury to the spinal cord (players were not allowed to lead with their helmets, or "spear," while tackling).

So basically, all these rule changes will have absolutely no impact on the rate of players who end up suffering severe long-term effects from playing football. The only rule change that is scientifically and medically relevant is the rule that states that players who suffer concussions must sit out the remainder of the contest, and may not return to full contact action until all post-concussive symptoms have abated. That is a very good rule. The rest is total bullshit designed to make it look like they give a fuck about players so they can safeguard themselves against lawsuits or *gasp* having to pay retirees who are suffering due to the NFL's withholding of medically relevant information (which is as you said).

Basically, these guys would rather ruin football in the long term, for everybody and forever, than lose just a little bit of money in the short term.

What can the nfl do to stop brain injury? 2 hand touch?

Status
Not open for further replies.