• Welcome Guest

Forum Guidelines Bluelight Rules
    Fun 💃 Threads Overdosed? Click
    D R U G   C U L T U R E

tfw Google knows you better than you want them to

so were all talking tor.

lets now talk about its problems.

tor over your network...

when I run a windows machine it calls back home all the time.
this traffic is a tell tail sign of a normal tax paying noob.

they like that.

you run a linux distro this stops.

next tor runs on its own port that is not normally used by noobs.
so no windows signature and your not talking over port 80 anymore so its starting to look weird to
your isp.

next

tor to onion site.
it is possible for what is called a decloaking of the network at any time if the decloaker has enough
tor nodes under there control (this has been done a few times by the USA in the past)
it takes great means and a lot of money but if your a big enough target they may do it.
or you may be unfortunate enough to be decloaked when they were hunting a big figure
as its a network decloak not a user.

tor to clearnet.

so we enter tor through an entrance node it then goes through the network through a few steps
to the exit node back into clearnet.

all is encrypted until you get out of the last node the exit to clearnet.
there are many and I mean heaps of exit nodes owned by government and hackers.
they can read everything you send though not were you are if you exit through there node.

most people turning on tails just exit were ever it lets them.
this changes all the time so the chances of you touching a "poisoned" node is near 200%
so it will happen.

were does that leave you as a tor and anonymous user.

1 don't trust a system you do not understand snowden or not.

2 learn the system like really learn it (yes im lazy but im not playing darkent)

3 if you exit to clearnet do not ever put any personal info in any site.
ie no banking or logging into email etc.

4 if you run tor in any form if the country you are entering the network watches for this (many do)
they will know your using it.

5 learn about vps and enter to tor in a country that sets internet privacy above DMCA.

6 if you are really doing some dodgy stuff hack someone else's wifi then jump to tor and make sure
you do not use the same wifi more than once and that it is remote were there would be no camera's.

7 if your going to look into this learn about snaking the exit node or testing it before the packets of
real data are sent.

ultimately don't trust technology trust physical impossibility.

ie not your link no camera live cd like tails or kali and then on to tor.

for legit details being transferred keep it clear.

finally tor has had some bugs over the years that allowed people to run software on your machine.

now fixed but something to think of.

really the best way to think is like someone shoplifting.

if there is a camera or digital trace to your name tor, i2p, vpn or not don't trust it if your in the position
to think that way.

tails is not installed its live.

you put the cd/dvd into the drive and set the boot to cd/dvd and off you go.

no install.

if you want to learn linux get a second machine and start with ubuntu.

for running secure browsing use the live cd/dvd of tails as described above.

linux is not security its just open so we can modify it without permission.

plus being open it is reviewed by other independent programmers (ie no backdoors that
we "know" about)

but get the live cd see how she feels first and don't risk your boot sector too grub (the boot loader for linux)
until you know this is what you want.

my brother hated linux when we were young always told me it was a pain in the arse and useless.

now he makes near a grand a week just mining etherium on a linux machine.

some poeple come to it quickly and others more slowly.

its not a race.

if you want to use tor on windows get tor browser but please don't buy off darknet with it and think

of the clearnet problems.

for darknet tails for a beginner is the go.

This is a great post. Although I only understand probably 25% of what you wrote I get the gist of the other 75%. The ultimate empowerment of the individual from choosing what softwares you put on your devices to what chemicals you put into your body, who's got power to toggle your interface with reality is always and ever the issue, separating those who prefer top-down control & conformism to those rare souls willing to take responsibility
That's a powerful way of putting it and it's exactly right. Linux is scary because of the responsibility you need to have in order to operate a distribution properly. Sooner or later you run out of GUI and you are called upon to start running terminal windows to get things done. I mean searching is one good example of when you leave the world of Windows and pretty graphical interfaces and start finding your path. A few commands piped together along with some regular expressions and you can find that needle in the haystack while also going all out on the conditions as to what shows up.

With windows...before you've even registered for a Microsoft account... you've already signed over the rights to your own voice in the 20 pages of terms and agreements that nobody ever reads. That check mark that's required in that little box before you get to meet Cortana only ensures their rights and protection of liability. You have no rights. They were
probably voided on your receipt of purchase. Microsoft will pass you off to Google to put you on hold with AT&T while you listen to music in some foreign language interrupted by ad commercials that'll be twice as loud in volume. Protocols and stipulations....that's all it is. The security of windows is mostly in those updates. Always check for updates. Don't use the admin account. Use a local account. Block third party cookies...always clean your caches. Also don't link your accounts.

I found out all of this the hard way after I found a file folder labeled "104 media" in my file explorer that I didn't recognize. When I opened it I found 43 videos of me in my bedroom.... thinking I was alone....that had been recorded from my own web cam. Since I am a writer I keep my laptop open. Well I did. I don't anymore.

I now have tape over all my cams

Good times...good times
Sounds like you were hacked and the hacker turned on your webcam. Probably a backdoor you downloaded that then compromised your system. Do you cover it up? Get something to stick to that thing and only take it off when you need to use the webcam. Another solution is to take the webcam and microphone out altogether and only use external ones so you control when it's on and offline. Be careful with that sh*t because you can be extorted/blackmailed, especially if the attacker has been able to build a picture of your social life.

so were all talking tor.

lets now talk about its problems.

tor over your network...

when I run a windows machine it calls back home all the time.
this traffic is a tell tail sign of a normal tax paying noob.

they like that.

you run a linux distro this stops.

next tor runs on its own port that is not normally used by noobs.
so no windows signature and your not talking over port 80 anymore so its starting to look weird to
your isp.

next

tor to onion site.
it is possible for what is called a decloaking of the network at any time if the decloaker has enough
tor nodes under there control (this has been done a few times by the USA in the past)
it takes great means and a lot of money but if your a big enough target they may do it.
or you may be unfortunate enough to be decloaked when they were hunting a big figure
as its a network decloak not a user.

tor to clearnet.

so we enter tor through an entrance node it then goes through the network through a few steps
to the exit node back into clearnet.

all is encrypted until you get out of the last node the exit to clearnet.
there are many and I mean heaps of exit nodes owned by government and hackers.
they can read everything you send though not were you are if you exit through there node.

most people turning on tails just exit were ever it lets them.
this changes all the time so the chances of you touching a "poisoned" node is near 200%
so it will happen.

were does that leave you as a tor and anonymous user.

1 don't trust a system you do not understand snowden or not.

2 learn the system like really learn it (yes im lazy but im not playing darkent)

3 if you exit to clearnet do not ever put any personal info in any site.
ie no banking or logging into email etc.

4 if you run tor in any form if the country you are entering the network watches for this (many do)
they will know your using it.

5 learn about vps and enter to tor in a country that sets internet privacy above DMCA.

6 if you are really doing some dodgy stuff hack someone else's wifi then jump to tor and make sure
you do not use the same wifi more than once and that it is remote were there would be no camera's.

7 if your going to look into this learn about snaking the exit node or testing it before the packets of
real data are sent.

ultimately don't trust technology trust physical impossibility.

ie not your link no camera live cd like tails or kali and then on to tor.

for legit details being transferred keep it clear.

finally tor has had some bugs over the years that allowed people to run software on your machine.

now fixed but something to think of.

really the best way to think is like someone shoplifting.

if there is a camera or digital trace to your name tor, i2p, vpn or not don't trust it if your in the position
to think that way.
Basically have zero trust and treat technology as being vulnerable and liable to mess up. We have complex relationships with technology but we forget that technology isn't our friend, it's just following instructions and it cannot discriminate between a 'good' or 'bad' person or thing. Your bank account is yours and yours only until you get hacked one day and now the bank account belongs to the hacker, for a short time anyway. It makes you see things in a different light. Same with your house. It's all yours until someone breaks in one time and now you get the sudden realization that it's accessible to anyone who has the time, patience and audacity to break into it. We make assumptions that things won't go wrong and that what we have cannot be taken away or compromised, but we also know it can but don't choose to acknowledge it because it's a difficult pill to swallow. In the end though, it's better to just look at your technology as simply a bunch of metals and plastics melded together that is neither 'good' nor 'bad'. It serves a purpose but however we become attached to it is our representative of our own flaws and projections and having the right relationship with our technology, like someone alluded to above, is the indication of a mature responsible adult in a very chaotic world full of technology most of us cannot even comprehend fully.

Which Linux distro is easiest to install, noob friendly, and best for defensive security? I tried installing Mint but had issues verifying the ISO image.
The easiest distros for Linux are the ones with the most stuff bundled with it. Stuff meaning drivers and other components critical for running modern computers. Linux will run on literally anything but running on literally anything and then being optimized to run on more advanced modern devices like laptops and desktops etc is another thing altogether. For that you are better sticking to something like Ubuntu which out-of-the-box has everything you need to get started and more. They do all the work so you can sit back and simply install it. Other distros however like vanilla Debian (which Ubuntu is built off of) will require experience and knowledge from the user because there is a lot of manual work ahead configuring the system properly and while the basics are done i.e you get a system to interact with when installation is complete, much of the components required to bring the system up to scratch won't be present. Same with Fedora and many others which are by default geared towards the experienced Linux user who knows his way around setting up a Linux distro.

Check this site out if you want a good comprehensive resource for all things Linux distros;
DistroWatch

Also get something like VirtualBox and get a distro running in a virtual machine instead of committing to a fresh install on your drive. You can f*ck things up to your hearts content in a VM environment because it exists within a container that doesn't escape said container. You can have several Linux distros running at the same time (if your computer can handle it) or similarly have several images each with different distros on that you can power on or off in VirtualBox to your choosing whenever you want and all while running a primary OS that isn't affected by the distros you are running.