Testosterone killing your immune system

Ismene2

Bluelighter
Well, just had 2 months of solid hell - started with a cold which I couldn't shift which then turned into a chest infection - I thought I was just about over it and then took a dose of Test. Within 10 hours I felt the lurgy coming back at me. After that I stopped taking any Test to give my immune system a chance but 4 weeks of hell later I went to the doctors and managed to get some antibiotics which now seem to be shifting the infection.

Stunned by how much Test weakens your immune system and really wondering if it's worth carrying on using it. If you can't even beat a cold on TRT what the hell is going to happen if you get a more serious infection? You're going to be pushing up the daisies.

Well, just had 2 months of solid hell - started with a cold which I couldn't shift which then turned into a chest infection - I thought I was just about over it and then took a dose of Test. Within 10 hours I felt the lurgy coming back at me. After that I stopped taking any Test to give my immune system a chance but 4 weeks of hell later I went to the doctors and managed to get some antibiotics which now seem to be shifting the infection.

Stunned by how much Test weakens your immune system and really wondering if it's worth carrying on using it. If you can't even beat a cold on TRT what the hell is going to happen if you get a more serious infection? You're going to be pushing up the daisies.
I have no idea about TRT and immune system but what you wrote makes me wonder if "never catching even a cold while on opiates" has something to do with their effects on testosterone too.

I have no idea about TRT and immune system but what you wrote makes me wonder if "never catching even a cold while on opiates" has something to do with their effects on testosterone too.

I know Keith Richards said he never had a cold during the 10 years he was on heroin. I know it's a good cough suppressant but I can't see it stopping you catching colds.

It's unusual for TRT to tank immunity like that. Have you had a full hormone panel to see where everything's at?

It's unusual for TRT to tank immunity like that. Have you had a full hormone panel to see where everything's at?

Not sure it's unusual - pretty much every article says T tanks your immune system.

As someone who hasn't been below 500mg/week in almost a decade basically (damn it's been that long?), I haven't noticed much difference in terms of getting sick or not. Could just be your reaction to things

Reactions: CFC
Nah, not TRT at physiological levels. Supraphysiological levels, absolutely.

No, trt levels - thats the only articles I read

Therefore, there is increasing evidence that testosterone acts negatively on the immune response in both bacterial and viral infections, and this powerful immunosuppressive effect could explain the greater susceptibility of males to infections including COVID-19, the lower incidence of autoimmune diseases in men than ...

I know Keith Richards said he never had a cold during the 10 years he was on heroin. I know it's a good cough suppressant but I can't see it stopping you catching colds.
Therefore, there is increasing evidence that testosterone acts negatively on the immune response in both bacterial and viral infections, and this powerful immunosuppressive effect could explain the greater susceptibility of males to infections including COVID-19, the lower incidence of autoimmune diseases in men than ...
One of countless evidences that heroin prevents cold. /jk kind of

LURGY! Haven't heard that since I was a kid :ROFLMAO:

No, trt levels - thats the only articles I read

Hmm, how do I word this :unsure:

So, we have known for a long time that testosterone per se has a generally negative impact on immune function (especially one 'arm' of it). Conversion to oestrogen helps buffer the impact (oestrogen boosts immune function, generally). But overall, this is theorized to be one reason women tend to live longer than men, and suffer less from even casual assaults on the immune system like common colds. Men really do suffer more. It's also why they theorize women are often naturally attracted to more muscular men - because it indicates (from an evolutionary POV) such men must have excellent immune function, since they thrive physically despite a relatively high testosterone level. And thus the kinds of genes they want to pass on to their offspring. Men who do not thrive with higher test levels will tend to be sick more often and die younger.

However, unless your goal is to be transgender or survive prostate cancer, reduce hairloss etc, you wouldn't really want to reduce testosterone levels to female levels because testosterone is also involved in mood, other aspects of health, libido, drive, etc etc (a whole bunch of things).

So yes, technically speaking, if you do TRT, you are going to increase the potential for the health risks implicit with having normal testosterone levels, full stop, including potential impacts on immune function. But your alternative is...? Worse mood, depression, lethargy, loss of muscle mass (leading to even worse immune function), early death, and so on. Hence balance is key.

My criticism of most of the TRT protocols you see around (even in HRT clinics) is that they don't resemble natural testosterone release in any way. A decent TRT protocol would involve daily peaks and troughs, which does not happen on standard once or twice-weekly TRT protocols (even less so on once monthly protocols!). Standard TRT does not provide anything like a physiological testosterone level. You get very high peaks, and then crash to nothing before your next injection. Daily spurts of testosterone are what's going to give you most of the good with less of the bad, and mimic a more physiological testosterone protocol. And probably also lead to fewer complications in terms of immune function and so on. However, it does require more time and effort and that's not something most are keen on - on balance. Hence 'TRT' as described in most studies isn't really TRT as we ourselves tend to think of it.

Does that make any sense?

I haven't seen a positive correlation between TRT levels of T and suppressed immune system. You also have to account for the fact that most guys on supraphysiological doses of T are also going to the gym a lot. Heavy weight lifting suppresses the immune system for up to 48 hours. A lot of guys continue working out because their common cold is "minor" and then it just ends up going deeper. Calorie rich diets also suppress the immune system through glucose-insulin actions on IGF.

It's hard to isolate T as a variable without looking at lifestyle, diet, etc.

Anecdotally, the patient communities say very mixed things. Some say yes to reduced immunity, some say no difference, some say their immune system is actually better due to faster recovery time.

A month long common cold though? That's not normal and I don't think you can just blame T.

No it's a chest infection of some kind. Of course I'm not a doctor unless you count witchdoctor.

Hmm, interesting. I just started TRT at 100mg/week for now - not too long underway dealing with a whole bunch of health shit, including dvt's, renal cancer and some other as of yet unknown pancytopenia-causing condition. Y'all will be the first to know if I tank lol.

Testosterone doesn’t weaken your immune system. Quite the opposite. While your levels are high it will strengthen your immune system. Of course if you come into contact with a cold virus or whatever you can still and probably will get sick. Now when you get off test and your levels plummet so will your immune system. Take zinc, magnesium, and vit c.