View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

tastes of different forms of alkaloids

pseudononamouse

Bluelighter
I was talking to someone about the taste of MDMA and he said that he has gotten batches of MDMA that tasted a little different but were certainly MDMA. This led me to think that perhaps freebases and different salts of alkaloids have different tastes. Do they? Or would differences in taste come from minor impurities?

Like you said, minor impurities will change the taste, as would different alkaloids, but I dont have any factual proof of the different alkaloids.

I doubt a minor impurity would alter the taste considerably. Even if the synth was somewhat sloppy and you ended up with 85% MDMA and tasted a fingerprint of say 20mg, you would have 17mg of MDMA on your tongue, & 3mg of whatever impurities, which would probably not result in a perceptible change in taste. Or even if you dumped a whole dose onto your tongue, you'd still have 85mg MDMA & 15mg of whatever, and in that case you're probably gonna max out the amount of bitterness you can taste thus further cloudying things. Different salts, say fumarate & hcl may well taste different, but I'm certainly not going to taste test chemicals, since as a rule they're rather unpleasant.

Also, filler could change the taste, and would probably be the most likely of all potential culprits.

^ That depends on the impurity. As goes for extreme intensity of color there exist compounds that taste terrible in minute amounts. Not that I can think of any on command but I'm quite sure there are more than one.
I doubt though, that such a compound is an analogue or precursor of MDMA. And any decent product is washed of reagents, impurities that often remain are compounds very close to MDMA that therefore have similar properties which logically makes them harder to separate chemically.

I could see how different salts could have a different taste since you also taste the chaperoning mineral acid that comes with it the alkaloid.

On a sidenote, I got some 2C-C recently and while I was not worried about the identity of the sample I checked the taste to see if I could make out a distinction with, say, 2C-B. Well definitely it tasted undeniably like 2C-C. It's pretty strongly chemical and a little caustic tasting, I find 2C-B to be a smoother taste, like a really bad tasting sort of vanilla, 2C-I is disgusting. I can't stand it. I have taken but not tasted 2C-T-7. Must do sometime.

4-AcO-DMT and 4-MeO-MiPT are both quite bitter, and I'm not sure whether I could distinguish them now after not having had either for several months. 5-MeO-MiPT has the stronger flavor.

2C-E, on the other hand, tastes different; it reminds me of polyethylene glycol and ethyl alcohol. I haven't tried any other 2C's, but I assume they would be distinct from one another due to their different functional groups.

Edit: remember that artificial flavors in food (aromatic compounds extracted from sources or synthesized -- imagine that!) are present as less than 1% of the total.

I find 4-AcO-DMT to be a very unique taste. I can't describe it though, but it tastes different from the other indoles. And certainly different from 4-HO-DMT.

I find interesting to taste alkaloids. When I started experimenting with these things I found them disgusting, but since then I can taste them without negative feelings, and they're really quite varied and complex in flavor. :)

4-AcO-DMT and 4-MeO-MiPT are both quite bitter, and I'm not sure whether I could distinguish them now after not having had either for several months. 5-MeO-MiPT has the stronger flavor.

2C-E, on the other hand, tastes different; it reminds me of polyethylene glycol and ethyl alcohol. I haven't tried any other 2C's, but I assume they would be distinct from one another due to their different functional groups.

Edit: remember that artificial flavors in food (aromatic compounds extracted from sources or synthesized -- imagine that!) are present as less than 1% of the total.

I was asking about different forms of the same drug, not similar drugs.