• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Tagamet and Grapefruit...?!?!

Opielover

Ex-Bluelighter
So i did some reading around on good opiate potentiators. Found out tagamet was a great OTC antacid that seems to prolong the opiate buzz. As well as grapefruit juice. My questions are, how many mg's of tagamet would be needed to make a difference in the duration of the high off hydros? I read to take it around an hour before you eat your opiates.
As far as the grapefruit juice goes, people are saying the traditional Ruby Red juice doesnt do the trick. So what other kinds would be ideal?

There's a theory that says Tagamet/Cimitidine isn't a good drug for potentiation.

The theory says because Tagamet inhibits the CYP3A4 liver enzyme which is responsible for breaking down many opiates/opioids into inactive metabolites that the opiate/opioid in question will have an increased effect & longer duration. While this is true to a certain extent, there's properties of Tagamet & it's enzyme inhibition that is widely overlooked.See not only does Tagamet inihibit the CYP3A4 enzyme it is also an inhibitor of a wide range of P450 enzymes. In addition to the CYP3A4 enzyme and others, Tagamet also inhibits the CYP2D6 liver enzyme. Hydrocodone is a CYP2D6 substrate meaning it involves metabolism by the enzyme CYP2D6 on some level.

Hydrocodone is metabolized into hydromorphone. This metabolite is alone much stronger than hydrocodone alone thus it isn't a good candidates for Tagamet potentiation unlike many benzos.

White grapefruit juice is what you're looking for.