• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Switching up opiates

malloc420

Greenlighter
Hi All,

I've been a long time lurker and this is my first post. I'm familiar with the 3 day rule to avoid physical addiction and was wondering if switching up opiates can help avoid physical addiction. For example, instead of doing heroin for 3 days in a row, would it be less addicting to do heroin on the first day, poppy seed tea the next, and Vicodin the next? Or does it all break down to the same thing and I'm just developing a general opiate addiction?

Thanks for your insight.

I think your last sentence pretty much sums it up IMO. I will say that with the way heroin hits hard and then wears off rather quickly that you'd be better off switching it up. Since it sounds like your tolerance is somewhat small I would suggest sticking with hydro all three days. It lasts longer than heroin and isn't hit or miss like H or poppy seed can be. Just know that you're walking down a dark road. Lastly, remember to watch your APAP intake if you go with the hydro.

Last edited:
Cycling opiate can technically helps. However I remember reading the story of a doctor that was doing everything by the book, cycling between different type of opiates (don't remember if he was alternating between full and partial agonist or another difference between them but anyway the thing is he was doing everything medicine had teach him to avoid addiction) and eventually it failed him.

What I can tell you is that when I started using opiate I would do for two days in a row maximum and then I would quit for at least 24 hours. I felt safe and that was what was dangerous.

To avoid addiction I would never use more than two days in a row and never more than 50 / 50. So an equal amount of days on and days off. Then again, I am still not convinced it is full proof.

If you enjoy opiates and want to continue to do so freely, I would consider not more than twice a week. It should be treated with fear and respect. I do not know of any substance that makes me feel as good BUT it is so risky. If you really really want to walk this very dangerous path, it should be occasional. As with all things, less is more. It should be recreative and once in a while.

Above all, I would fix some very firm rules for myself (like twice a week). And as soon as you start transgressing those rules (and you will, you will eventually feel confident and there lies the danger that ALL ADDICT EXPERIMENTED) so as soon as you slip (because of a bad day at work, a break up, a chix gets in your bed and you want to fuck for hours, whatever) you should stop using. Period. For a few months. Then when you start back you won't want to slip again because that means quitting for a few months and you want to avoid that. If you ever find you keep breaking your own rules, it means you are already an addict and you just don't know it yet. But it is still time to quit before physical dependence kicks in.

Good luck and please take the matter seriously, view it as you would riding a motorcycle or working with dangerous heavy machinery. When you stop fearing is when it is the most dangerous.