• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Switched to a long-acting Hydromorphone

Archeun1981

Greenlighter
I've been placed on a long-acting Hydromorphone. It is dosed for every 24 hours. I have a few questions, if anyone could answer that would be helpful.

1. Hydromorphone from what I have read has a very low bio-availability. Does this make it worthless for pain?

2. Should I take the medication in the morning or the evening? Does it matter? Is the medication actually capable of providing 24 hour relief?

Thank you for your time and responses.

1. Yes it does have low oral BA. It is not worthless for pain. When the drug formulation was developed, this is taken into account, and low bioavailability is compensated for by having a higher dosage in comparison to another ROA with a higher BA. The manufactured formulations should provide adequate pain relief when used at the right dose.

2. It probably won't make too much of a difference, given that it is extended release over 24 hours. All extended release formulations of hydromorphone are designed to be taken once daily, so yes it is capable of providing 24 hour pain relief. If you feel more pain relief in the first few hours of dosing it, cater your administration to when you experience the most pain. Morning or evening, whichever you prefer.