• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Sweet/fruit taste in mouth after Adderall

tacybear714

Greenlighter
I tried to post this on OD but cant ever seem to get my posts there to work, so if this needs to be moved sorry.
Ok when my Adderall XR starts wearing off around the 8 hour mark after I take it, I get this fruity/sweet taste and smell in my mouth, no matter what I have eaten or drank that day. I have tried to brush it out but I can still taste it. I thought my sugar might be going crazy, since I know that is a side effect of high blood sugar. However after days of checking it, it's in the normal (sometimes low range). I dont eat a lot…and i generally dont consume tons of sugar/fruit, i do drink soda at work, also water… Has this happened to anyone else? Thoughts?

i have no clue if this is related or not, but instant release Adderall tastes sweet and citrus-y. Back in the day i'd snort them and could taste like crazy

that citrus flavor. That would be very strange to taste it tho assuming you took it orally and so long after it had been ingested.. :/

hmmm..

i dont get that exactly, but I get extremely bad dry mouth from it. One tip that I can give you don't drink any caffiene except for maybe tea. As far as I know its not dangerous but always stay hydrated and eat some and you shouldn't have a problem.

Thank y'all. I do take them orally, so I was thinking maybe it was the 2nd part of the time release? It's just bizarre and slightly annoying that I am tasting the aftertaste of gummy bears all evening…

I don't know about the adderall XR but i am prescribed the adderall ir which i take sometimes and it is known for tasting very sweet, i usually try to avoid snorting them but if i do i can taste the nasty sweet taste in my mouth for hours and hours. Some people like it, i don't.

Just about every stimulant leaves a distinct taste in my mouth (along with the annoying dry mouth). I'm pretty sure is completely normal.

It's just another sign that I know I'm high.

Wow never had this other than with the Adderall IR tablets which contain so much sugar in them you can chew them like candy and enjoy it! (Not even kidding lol). The generics I have taste like pixi sticks when crushed up....As for Caffeine...it was brought up...its okay to take them together but if you take a regular dose of the amphetamine with say a cup or two of coffee itll make you even more speedy with your heart rate going up noticably more...I dont really like that part.

Have you ever been diagnosed with diabetes? Is it only fruity breath/dry mouth or is it accompanied by nausea/vomiting or a decreased level of consciousness?

Last edited:
Was it an orange round pill? Ive used the orange ones & experienced the same thing, the taste actually made me throw up. Other addys I've used don't taste like that. May be the brand or mg of the pill

It contains a lot of sugar and artificial flavoring in the inactives...

I take 25 mg XR and 5mg IR. I switched drug stores, got another 'generic' IR brand. Boom, nasty sweet taste gone. Must have been that specific formulation. Thanks y'all :)

the tablets contain artificial sweeteners so you can purposely spike your kids applesauce or kool-aid....

No joke.

There are several possible mechanisms going on here. I will explain them. If anyone wants sources I can cite them if necessary.

Most amphetamines and amphetamine derivatives have a very distinct sweet yet bitter taste. It's a very odd taste and it's rather repulsive (in my opinion). Amphetamines are also very well-known for causing your mouth to become very dry (cotton mouth) as amphetamines cause the body to produce less saliva. This is caused by alpha-adrenergic agonism caused by the massive Norepinephrine release of amphetamines. This can easily lead to odd flavor sensations in your mouth.

Conversely, amphetamine causes greatly heightened levels of ACh (acetylcholine) as well. This can actually cause the opposite reaction in some people as ACh is directly responsible for stimulating saliva production. I notice that I experience a sweet taste in my mouth when I take Cholinergic drugs as well. My mouth tends to get really wet (almost to the point of being unpleasant to be honest) and saliva naturally tastes slightly sweet.

This one is less likely, but possible. If you also notice a fruity smell coming from your mouth, this could be caused by Glucose release. I remember reading a study that was exploring the possibility that amphetamine could be damaging to people who are diabetic. In their study they found that amphetamine induces the liver to release stored Glucose reserves and therefore heightens glucose levels to some extent. Because Glucose is a sugar, and a very small percentage of Glucose can exit the body through exhalation, this produces a smell that is rather similar to Apples.

Apples (and all fruits in general, but specifically apples) have a very high Glucose content. What is mostly responsible for the smell of apples is glucose. When your breath smells fruity, you are actually smelling glucose that has been excreted by your lungs. Also, I forgot to mention that since Glucose in a sugar and more of it is now circulating in your body, it will automatically be excreted into your saliva as well. This is what's responsible for the slightly sweet taste of saliva and since Glucose levels are heightened by amphetamine, more glucose can enter your mouth through the salivary glands and produce a stronger sweet taste in your mouth.

If you're diabetic, another possibility is Acetone...

In the same study mentioned above - their results found that this heightening of Glucose that is caused by amphetamine, could be toxic in people who are diabetic for a couple reasons. First reason is due to the fact that Glucose can be hepatotoxic (toxic to the liver) and Nephrotoxicity (toxic to the kidneys) in high doses - this leads to Acetone.

People who are diabetic are already resistant to insulin, or if they are diabetic from birth, do not produce insulin at all. Insulin allows cells in the body to absorb glucose and use it as energy. If you have no insulin at all (in the case of people who are diabetic from birth - also known as type 1 diabetes) have to inject themselves with insulin daily due to the fact that their body doesn't produce insulin at all. Since there's no insulin in their bodies, their cells can't absorb glucose. This means the cells will receive nothing to breakdown and use as energy and would therefore cause death pretty quickly.

That's an overview of diabetes, but no I'll explain Ketoacidosis. When glucose can't be absorbed by cells, glucose accumulates in the blood. The brain recognizes that something is wrong and since Glucose isn't providing energy, the brain assumes that there must be no glucose in the blood. So it tells the liver to increase glucose production. This overwhelms the kidneys with glucose, but it overwhelms them with Ketone.

The body has a system to deal with these very high levels of glucose. That is ketone. Ketone bodies (there are three to be exact) are metabolites of glucose (and most sugars found in the human-body, the next most common being fructose) and they're a slight metabolite of Gamma-aminobutric acid - a very abundant amino acid in the body that serves many functions, but that's not really that important.

Anyways, this post become extremely long and I realized no one would care anyways so I'll cut to the chase. Glucose is metabolized into ketone bodies which are then metabolized and eventually broken down into acetone. When glucose levels are high in the body, much more acetone is produced as a by product of glucose metabolism. Acetone is toxic and is responsible for neurotoxicity associated with high glucose as well as responsible for hepatotoxicity and Nephrotoxicity.

Acetone can also enter the lungs can be excreted through exhalation. Acetone has a sweet smell thus accounting for the question asked above.

Holy crap, I can't believe I wrote all that out. I just got switched back to Adderall myself (was on Vyvanse) and my dosing regiment is repeated IR dosages throughout the day. I forgot how incredibly powerful the focus-inducing effects of Adderall are, especially when compared to Vyvanse. I really need to stop myself from posting responses that long when just randomly checking Bluelight.....

I've tried IR a few times now, and I can't stand it: it's so uncomfortable for hours afterwards. Maybe I'm doing it wrong? FYI I use a fat 2 ml syringe barrel, drawing up no more than one ml of liquid, sometimes more, dependent on the amount of drug I'm dissolving. I insert the barrel about a half inch in, and squirt it up there fast, assuming if I get the liquid up fast, it'll ensure maximum coverage of the membranes in the rectum.Plugging once is uncomfortable; more than once causes unbearable bowel pains...so, is there a more efficient ie painless way to do it?

SwampFox56, I have no access to aderall, but I've recently began using ephylphenidate, and find it to be excellent for focus; not euphoric at all, but I find I'm writing a hell of a lot: posts and fiction, a hobby of mine - the words just seem to flow effortlessly, and word count is something I struggle with, being a bit of a perfectionist in my hobby. So yeah, I consider it to be an excellent study aid/ writing tool.

Also, I hear you on lengthy posts; under the effects of EP, my posts are getting crazy long.

For plugging I will always use thick dispensing needles...

They allow minimum spillage when taking them out after exhuming the liquid out of the syringe...

They also allow you to go deeper with minumal forcing inbetween your asscheecks...

You need to go farther than half an inch in....

Always remember to please take a nice shit to increase the area you have to absorb.

Also the volume of water you put in makes a huge difference.

The more you use, the more area you spread the drugs onto. Leading to a more efficient absorption.

I personally use up to 10 ml of water to dissolve anything I'm plugging.

Holy crap, I can't believe I wrote all that out. I just got switched back to Adderall myself (was on Vyvanse) and my dosing regiment is repeated IR dosages throughout the day. I forgot how incredibly powerful the focus-inducing effects of Adderall are, especially when compared to Vyvanse. I really need to stop myself from posting responses that long when just randomly checking Bluelight.....

Haha, I remember spending way too much time on things like that when I was prescribed adderall. An hour would go by and I would realize I spent it all trying to write the perfect reply to a thread, when in reality a lot of people would probably skip over it as a tl;dr post.

A sweet taste in the mouth, sweet smelling sweat and urine could indicate Ketosis which could be caused by not eating enough while on the drug, carbs specifically. I get it often as well.