• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Supposed LSD doesn't glow under UV (blacklight)

myr

Bluelighter
Hi folks. Sorry for new topic, I know this has been answered gazillion times but still...
Are you guys 100% sure that LSD should always glow under UV?

One of my friends bought a few 110mcg blotters off the dark side of the net and it didn't glow. He tried it, it was tasteless, came up in about 45 mins and got him flying for 6 hrs then came down in another 6-8. He is experienced with LSD and he states that this WAS LSD despite not glowing.

Any thoughts?

I did read about Erowid's test and I have tested once too, it was glowing. But still he's 100% sure it was acid.

There are a couple of things that I would check:

First: You need to check that your blacklight is the appropriate wavelength. Broadly speaking, there are two types of UV lamps available: "Long" and "Short" wave, which emit and ~360 and ~254nm, respectively. LSD fluoresces at ~360nm (source). I believe that most blacklights are the long-wave kind, and should work for your purposes, but you never know.

Second: As suggested by the above source, you might need to remove it from the blotter paper to see the fluorescence clearly. If you have some high-proof alcohol and a pipette, I imagine you could fill the pipette with a few drops of alcohol, "vacuum" the LSD out of the blotter with the pipette, and then drop it on a non-fluorescent substrate like a coffee filter.

If you do both of those things and still don't see the fluorescence, then perhaps you don't have LSD. Good luck!

Or I'm sure an Erhlich's test would be more accurate?

I don't think the blacklight method is a fail-proof test. Some sort of reagent test would probably be more helpful.

You need to check that your blacklight is the appropriate wavelength.
Yes, I was thinking about this yesterday but he's got 'blacklight' in his room which is UV-A and long wavelenght. It cannot be the shorter one (UV-C) because it's mutagenic and carcinogenic, it is used for it's germicide effects but not common and you certainly shouldn't put that in your room as mood light for tripping :D

Anyway, thanks for the answers, now the only thing left is to order some Erhlich reagent. I am curious.

Oh, apparently they sell EZ test for LSD in a headshop nearby. And cheaper than online :D

Last edited:
... is long-wave UV light completely harmless? I'm always a little wary about how much I use my UV bulb...

Anyway, yeah, try the Erlich test too!

Last edited:
Woods Lights.

IDK,I used to sell a lot of acid back in the late80s/early90s and that was always the standard test (to prove to any doubtful customers that were buying quantity).The best one for this,since it's small,portable and appearantly operates within the right spectrum,is called a Woods Light.It's used in veterinary (and human) medicine a lot to check for corneal abrasions by putting drops of a UV flourescent solution in the eyes.It causes any abrasions or other trauma to flouresce brighter.It's handy because it's palm sized(maybe 4 inches long) and I've actually seen them in head shops.Every batch of acid we tested with it flouresced brightly under the Woods Light except for one batch that was on really dark red blotter paper.Even that had some degree of flourescence,not really bright but enough to notice it wasn't just blank paper.So IME acid always glows to some degree under flourescent tube blacklights(but not the incandecsent bulb type ones).Perhaps your blotter contained another hallucinogen with very LSD like effects that was effective at microgram level doses.Just a guess but it's a possibility I thought worth mentioning since I've had a lot of experience with this very thing.Just out of curiosity,did you eat any of the acid yourself?If so,did you get off?I know it's a silly,obvious questions since you most likely would have mentioned it to begin with.

Last edited:
No, it's not the same. UVC (short) is more harmful to the skin and eyes. Wikipedia has all the answers :)

Question, since I have never done the UV test but I was wondering this. Would you be able to tell If WoW blotter was glowing from the LSD, because wouldn't the white blotter glow anyways?

Not the white colour glows in fact but the optical brightener in the materials. It absorbs UV light and reflects blueish light. That's why white clothes appear "whiter" in sunlight (UV-B) after washing them and that's why they glow in a party :)
Acid has a component that does the same thing.
Blotter paper not likely to be treated chemically with whiteners, usually only one side is glowing where the acid was laid.

Thank you for your response. To me this seems confusing because if the blotter was in a regular sized batch it would be dipped and have lsd on both sides equally. This is of course just my guess from what I think I know. :)