• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Substitution advice

Bropiate_NI

Greenlighter
I am currently on buprenorphine and I have been for a few years from doing the switch from a high dose of Methadone. I am currently on 20mg of bup. Buprenorphine for me has helped my life in regards to looking at my issues etc but it has left me with horrible stomach issues and pretty nasty anxiety.

I didn't have any of these issues when I was on methadone. I have been taking substances very heavily from a very young age so I understand I potentially have done damage to my Brain in regards to bad anxiety etc. I really want to see my life would be like (now in a better place) on methadone as I need the "numbing" to get through the day.

I can't stop thinking if my life now (currently in a better place from years ago) would be better back on methadone due to the bad anxiety issues I have. There was no need for antidepressants when I was on methadone. I am going to taper down on buprenorphine as I know I am on a high dose and see if things improve. If it doesn't I might make the switch back.

Has anyone here been in this situation before? I know some people will say to stay on buprenorphine. I'm also worried about pain relief ie if was in a accident etc.

Would love to hear peoples opinions Thanks

In the case of an accident, just tell the paramedics and docs that you are substituted, they should hopefully adjust the dosages they administer. I know that not all places show such respect but I hope the UK to be one where you'd expect it.

In general, buprenorphine is seen as superior to methadone in terms of antidepressant effects but I'm an example where too it didn't work too good. How long have you been on methadone? Unfortunately opioids sometimes turn from antidepressives to depressives with time and them suppressing other stuff in your body (e.g. hormones). I can't give you an answer here unfortunately, but my substitution practitioner once told me that not all people were better off with one of the substitutes, e.g. some do better on morphine, some on bupe and some on methadone. That's why I find it sad that nowadays they aren't even allowed to give codeine or DHC anymore even when somebody would have a better life on them.