• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Bupe Suboxone/Buprenorphine FAQ and Megathread v.1; 2007 - 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
Suboxone and your Tolerance.

Hello All,
I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the effects of suboxone on your tolerance. When im not doing oxy, I usually take 4 mg of sub a day. However, If I take 4 mg of sub for a week, then stop for 2 days, and take my usual oxy dose (120mg), I feel as though the sub did not do anything to lower my tolerance, I feel like I would have gotten the same effects had I been doing oxy instead of sub.

What im asking is does anyone whos taken Suboxone long term notice that i has a permanent or long last effect on your tolerance? Because for example, say I quit cold turkey for 2 weeks, and then took the 120mg of Oxy, i would definetly have been much higher than if i had been taking the sub. Im starting to think I should stop using sub for maitainence and only for short 4-5 day detoxes. I dont like having to "plan" when I can use opiates due to my sub dosage/tolerance. Im sure other people who take sub can relate to what im saying.

Suboxone is a partial opiate agonist, so if you take a dose of suboxone that's equivalent to your dose of oxycodone, your tolerance is never going to go down. If you want your tolerance to go down, stop taking oxy for a month, and only take 0.5mg of suboxone per day. This isn't going to bring you back to baseline, but your tolerance will go down.

If you quit oxy for a month and take 4mg of suboxone per day, when you start taking oxy again your tolerance will probably be about the same.

~CTdopeLove

I had surgery and quit taking 16mg a day. I had oxy, hydro and dilaudid. Nothing got me high. I mean I got high, but it was very dull, even a week off the Subs. It's like my tolerance went UP. Now there is no reason for me to even go off the Sub for a couple of days to recapture a high. Not worth the trouble, and thats probably a good thing.

I'm on 8mg/day, and when I jump off to use heroin, I can get very high off 3-4 bags of dope. This is only 12-15 hours after my last 2mg (I take 2mg, 4x per day, which seems to cause the bupe to burn through your system faster).

~CTdopeLove

Suboxone is a very potent opiate. It will raise your tolerance is you are taking more than you should. At low doses, people (including myself) have said that there tolerance has gone unchanged, and in some cases lowered.

There is no way for us to tell you what dose will raise YOUR tolerance. It is different for everyone and depends on a lot of things.

I am merging this into the Suboxone Mega Thread, where it should have been posted to begin with.

^^I kinda figured that was the deal. So yeah, I'm probably taking more than my habit required, but I'm only comfortable at this dose. Taking only 8mg or less makes me feel withdrawalish. 16mg gives me energy for the whole day.

i have a quick question about darvocet and suboxone.

Basically it's another one of those how long should i wait before I take my suboxone.

Heres a little background, I've been using poppy pods for a couple weeks, and stopped taking them 3-4 days ago. Today at work some kid that works nearby comes up to me and gives me 2 darvocets (I don't know about the mg.) So i ended up taking them. I hate darvocet, but i was at work, i felt shitty and I figured 'why not?'. I don't know if it was placebo, but I did feel that I had a more positive outlook on the rest of the night.

Then my boss comes by, and she knew I was kicking so she gave me half a 8mg suboxone. So now i'm wondering if it's cool to take my 4 mgs of suboxone tomorrow morning....roughly 14 hours after the darvocet??? I don't know the milligram....and i can't find anything useful using the search engine....besides this:
157.jpg

^^^lol @darvocet 8) I really doubt I'd get sick(er) but i'd like a second opinion.

Yeah, sounds like you guys nailed what I was getting at. It seems like 4 MG of Suboxone is equal to at least 80 mg of oxy, so, even when I take suboxone for weeks at a time, its really no different than me taking oxy. I was hoping that if I could use 4 mg of suboxone for the 2 weeks of the month I dont use opiates, my tolerance would go down, but apparently thats not the case in my experience and others. I guess if you really want to enjoy opiates again, the best thing to do is detox with the Sub instead of taking it on days when your not using. Because even if I wait 48 hours after doing sub, I still don't get all that great of a high, its like my habit picked up right where it left off. On the other hand, when I quit cold turkey for 21 days, 2 30 Mg roxies got me floored. That would never happen now.

Another question bout suboxone I had asked that kinda went unanswered. Do you guys feel that suboxone has some type of permanent effect on your tolerance in general. Like does it chemically rewire your receptors so that it makes it much harder to get high, even if you stop taking it for a while. I have a friend whos been on Suboxone for 3 years, and he tells me when he stops that he never gets the same effects he used to before he started the suboxone. Id like to see if anyone else has experienced this, I think I have to some extent. if this is the case, then I definetely want to get off Suboxone. Ill just go to a Methadone program at that point if i really need it for maitanence, because Im starting to think Suboxone is not the best choice for an opiate dependency problem. Its a relatively new drug, and the side effects haven't been researched alot. Oh well, maybe in 10 years I can be part of a class action lawsuit against it. I really think the stuff is bad for you.

dankstersauce said:
i have a quick question about darvocet and suboxone.

Basically it's another one of those how long should i wait before I take my suboxone.

Heres a little background, I've been using poppy pods for a couple weeks, and stopped taking them 3-4 days ago. Today at work some kid that works nearby comes up to me and gives me 2 darvocets (I don't know about the mg.) So i ended up taking them. I hate darvocet, but i was at work, i felt shitty and I figured 'why not?'. I don't know if it was placebo, but I did feel that I had a more positive outlook on the rest of the night.

Then my boss comes by, and she knew I was kicking so she gave me half a 8mg suboxone. So now i'm wondering if it's cool to take my 4 mgs of suboxone tomorrow morning....roughly 14 hours after the darvocet??? I don't know the milligram....and i can't find anything useful using the search engine....besides this:
157.jpg

^^^lol @darvocet 8) I really doubt I'd get sick(er) but i'd like a second opinion.

Dude your using Suboxone to kick doing Darvocet, probably the weakest opiate? Honestly I would just ride it out cold turkey, I would imagine youd have to be taking ALOT of Darvocet for a LONG time in order to require suboxone to get off it. But yeah, youll be fine taking the sub 14 hours after Darvocet. Infact, youll prolly get more of a buzz off the Suboxone than the Darvocet. - Dred

dredmentia said:
Dude your using Suboxone to kick doing Darvocet, probably the weakest opiate? Honestly I would just ride it out cold turkey, I would imagine youd have to be taking ALOT of Darvocet for a LONG time in order to require suboxone to get off it. But yeah, youll be fine taking the sub 14 hours after Darvocet. Infact, youll prolly get more of a buzz off the Suboxone than the Darvocet. - Dred

He's been using poppy pods, first thing he said if you read his post. Dankster- you are definitely ok to use suboxone 14 hours after something as weak as Darvon. I use sub as quick as 8 hours after using dope and I've never had precip. w/d. although I don't use a lot of dope.

i wanted to see what it would be like. i'm not on suboxone therapy. so i split apart an 8mg pill and crushed it and shot it. i felt something. but am not high or anything. it's been like 40 mins. i def. feel something, but it's subtle. so i snorted the other half. oh well...

I'm only saying this one more time:

THERE IS NO SET TIME FOR WHEN YOU SHOULD TAKE YOUR SUBOXONE AFTER TAKING ANOTHER OPIATE. WHEN THE WITHDRAWALS START, YOU ARE SAFE TO TAKE THE SUBOXONE.

dredmentia said:

Did you even read his post? He's kicking poppy pods. He only took darvocet once.

But either way, if he's gone 3 days without pods and nothing else, there is no reason to even be taking suboxone now. Obviously you dont need it if you made it through the first 3 days (also the worst 3 days) of the withdrawals.

Physical activity on Suboxone

OK I'm currently on 2mg of suboxone a day. I notice when I go to play sports like basketball and tennis, I just start to sweat balls. I get very hot and even when I'm not playing and it's just hot outside I still seem to be sweating more than the people I'm with. Does anybody else get this too? Is it even from the suboxone or could it be something else. It wasn't like this before...

I get like this from Methadone. I SWEAT like fucking crazy when I'm on a high dose of Methadone! I haven't heard of sweating being a side effect of Suboxone though.

All opiates make you feel warm, so obviously your body will heat up faster.

This should have been posted in the suboxone mega thread, which is where Im moving it.

Someone suggested to me once that neurontin along with a benzo would help significantly. I haven't experienced any other usual opiate withdrawal symptoms except extreme dysphoria and anxiety which I can't handle. I have pretty bad anxiety anyways which is one of the reasons I was taking the subs. I'm going to see my psych doc tuesday and he'll pretty much help me out. I need to get off these subs without going crazy like losing my job and some worse things I won't say here.

So the neurontin along with a benzo you think will help with the dysphoria and EXTREME anxiety? Once I stop these subs my body feels extremely uncomfortable, I'm not myself and I can't tolerate it. Sometimes it's so bad I almost end up in the ER. I also think some other things are going on, not just the detox'n of the suboxone..

The thing is I can't get any subs and i'm going to have to do this with the help of other meds. This shit has my job in jeapordy , I was taking these subs soo stupid and careless. I didnt know about ceiling effects etc.. I was taking 4-5 8mg's every other day which has led me to some horrible things. I really can't tolerate whats going on so when I see my psych doc I want to be prepared on what to ask for.

d-brock said:
Someone suggested to me once that neurontin along with a benzo would help significantly. I haven't experienced any other usual opiate withdrawal symptoms except extreme dysphoria and anxiety which I can't handle. I have pretty bad anxiety anyways which is one of the reasons I was taking the subs. I'm going to see my psych doc tuesday and he'll pretty much help me out. I need to get off these subs without going crazy like losing my job and some worse things I won't say here.

So the neurontin along with a benzo you think will help with the dysphoria and EXTREME anxiety? Once I stop these subs my body feels extremely uncomfortable, I'm not myself and I can't tolerate it. Sometimes it's so bad I almost end up in the ER. I also think some other things are going on, not just the detox'n of the suboxone..

The thing is I can't get any subs and i'm going to have to do this with the help of other meds. This shit has my job in jeapordy , I was taking these subs soo stupid and careless. I didnt know about ceiling effects etc.. I was taking 4-5 8mg's every other day which has led me to some horrible things. I really can't tolerate whats going on so when I see my psych doc I want to be prepared on what to ask for.

Good god man. 32-40mg's (every other) day is going to take a while to taper off from.

Honestly though I think your best bet would be taper off the suboxone and tell your doc about your severe anxiety.

An intelligent taper regiment will let you jump off the suboxone bus with virtually no withdrawal symptoms, but with that high daily dose it could take up to a month to taper.

I've noticed suboxone begins to lose it anti-depressive and anti-anxiety properties after the 3-4 month mark at 1-2mg daily doses.
Which can be remidied with the 3 day fast.(given that your tolerance is semi-low and don't use opiates in those 3 days)

Addiction to suboxone probably wont get you anything(drug wise) but a kind word, maybe.

You may get some benzo's depending on your doc.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Thanks Sub, I know i've gotten myself in quite a mess. Worst i've felt in my life. My doctor is really good, he shouldnt mind prescribing me what i ask for if my reasons are legitimate. My doctor knows nothing of the suboxone, just that i am a sober alcholic with severe anxiety and severe dysphoria, which should work out. It has in the past, also PTSD is another diagnosis for me. Because my father committed suicide when i was 14 and i found him. This is going to be such a long process and i'm sticking to it. It feels i will never feel normal ever again. I used to be the happiest outgoing full of energy person. People at work know something going on with me, something bad..

God i wish i knew what i was getting into before i started these subs like candy...

So Neurontin or Lyrica and some k'pins should help me out alot with this long process? God, months! I didn't even think subs had withdrawal problems. I'm in for a ride..

Any other meds that could help?

I've had some really bad thoughts while feeling this way and thank god for my family I wouldn't act on any of them.

Thanks again m8 .. I hope I'm making sense here, I'm having quite the trouble thinking straight.

d-brock said:
Thanks Sub, I know i've gotten myself in quite a mess. Worst i've felt in my life. My doctor is really good, he shouldnt mind prescribing me what i ask for if my reasons are legitimate. My doctor knows nothing of the suboxone, just that i am a sober alcholic with severe anxiety and severe dysphoria, which should work out. It has in the past, also PTSD is another diagnosis for me. Because my father committed suicide when i was 14 and i found him. This is going to be such a long process and i'm sticking to it. It feels i will never feel normal ever again. I used to be the happiest outgoing full of energy person. People at work know something going on with me, something bad..

God i wish i knew what i was getting into before i started these subs like candy...

So Neurontin or Lyrica and some k'pins should help me out alot with this long process? God, months! I didn't even think subs had withdrawal problems. I'm in for a ride..

Any other meds that could help?

I've had some really bad thoughts while feeling this way and thank god for my family I wouldn't act on any of them.

Thanks again m8 .. I hope I'm making sense here, I'm having quite the trouble thinking straight.

Sorry my post got a bit convoluted.

I'd say just 1month-6 weeks to finish a taper schedule. I'd stick to the neurontin for daily use, the kpins for panic attacks/anxiety(as needed). The lyrica probably isn't necessary.

How long have you been on that huge dose?

Edit: What were you prescribed the suboxone for?

6 months on that disgusting dose of the subs. The subs I got off the street, it totally made my anxiety dissapear. I'm also an alcoholic so it's better to do the subs than get back to drinking ending up in jail.. I was soo unaware about anything with these things with the long term effects. (this is before i got hooked up with a psych doc)

So neurontin and k'pins, anything else? It feels like my whole body is restless, totally uncomfortable, dysphoria and anxiety that seems it could be deadly. Everyone i know it worried about me. They're worried about suicide I'm sure because my father killed himself. Like i sad before, mabey there are other things going on with me, not just the detox'n suboxone. I'm seeing my psychiatrist tuesday. He will think all this anxiety and dysphoria was from all my years of heavily drinking so no probs getting the meds i need seeing how i've been abstinent from the liquor for quite a while...

Any other meds or tips to make this process somewhat easier. I'm a strong person but this is totally different. I can't even explain it.

Status
Not open for further replies.