• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Opioids Stopping 100 mg Fentanyl that I've been on for 12 years with only kratom to help. Going crazy.

Bamabelle

Bluelighter
I've been reading in the forums here for while now while planning this but this is my first time posting and need any advice anyone can give. Quite honestly im terrified of withdrawal. I remember well how horrible it was when I was snowed in for days unable to go get my meds. I've been on 100 mg Fentanyl for about 12 years now since I was injured in the military. My great Va docs literally changed me from hydrocodone straight to fentanyl after seeing all my xrays and MRI's. Its gotten to the point that im just tired of it and want to try living without a strong natcotic. A few months ago I started tapering myself by cutting more and more off the patch. At this point I believe I'm at about 20 to 25 mg.

I put on my last sliver of fentanyl about 4 days ago. To help with the withdrawals I had a few percocet and I have kept on changing out and putting on old patches every day even though i honestly don't think there is any medicine in them. More of a mental thing. I ran out of percocet so I don't have access to any other meds other than zofran. Today I went and bought some gold kratom because I read that would help. So I tried it for my first timer and It did help some about 1 to 2 hours after I took the capsules then within 30 minutes I just felt horrible again. Maybe I got the wrong kind?

Most of the withdrawal symptoms I can deal with but not being able to lay still because I constantly feel an overwhelming need to move my spine/ back every few minutes and not being able to sleep more than 45 minutes is driving me crazy. Plus my anxiety is probably through the roof too. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. I apologize if I have posted this in the wrong place.

Sorry about your situation (also on a technical note it appears you mean 100ug not 100mg).

I think you might have more success with the withdrawal process if you talk to your doctors about wanting to do some sort of rapid taper, or perhaps better yet, explain the situation and ask for ancillary medications (such as benzodiazepines, clonidine, etc.). The benzodiazepines will at least allow you to rest for a moment. I'd also recommend the "healths harmony" brand of black seed oil capsules (sold inexpensively on amazon). It does help a little with the akathisia/restlessness and is worth trying. Immodium (loperamide) at doses of 8-10mg will help with some of the peripheral symptoms too.

Kratom doesn't last that long for me either. You could increase your dose, but keep in mind it can prolong the withdrawal process.

Might want to talk to your doctor, as you've been on fentanyl for a very long time, and the 100mcg/hr patches are pretty strong (equivalent to about 350mg of oral morphine a day). Your chances of success will be better if you are able to minimize the intensity of the symptoms without unnecessary prolonging it (this is easy to say, hard to do unfortunately).

Oh trust me I have tried for 5 years now. They refuse to. They don't see how I will be able to function without a strong med. I don't see what is wrong in trying.

They did finally get tired of me asking every appointment and lowered my prescribed dose to 75 patch a few months ago which at that point I had already lowered myself lower than that. They absolutely refuse to go any lower.

Sorry just saw your comment about benzos. Yeah when heck freezes over will my doc do that. He doesn't believe in prescribing any type of pain medication with benzos. He is actually trying to get it passed legally where no doctor is the USA can prescribe them outpatient together. He views it as extremely dangerous. If you pop for a benzo your immediately an ex patient of his.

I think seeing if your doctor could prescribe you gabapentin or pregabalin would be extremely helpful for you. It is magic in relieving opioid withdrawal symptoms, and is a non-benzodiazepine. It could definitely help get you the rest of the way out of the woods. Throughout the years, I've used it to successfully jump off various opiates/opioids. It greatly diminishes RLS for me, and even enabled me to go to the store, run necessary errands, etc.

Pregabalin (Lyrica) is much easier to dose properly. Gabapentin (Neurontin) is more tricky as it is metabolized strangely. The trick there is to take small doses, every couple hours or so with small meals or snacks. It greatly increases the bioavailability.

I think seeing if your doctor could prescribe you gabapentin or pregabalin would be extremely helpful for you. It is magic in relieving opioid withdrawal symptoms, and is a non-benzodiazepine. It could definitely help get you the rest of the way out of the woods. Throughout the years, I've used it to successfully jump off various opiates/opioids. It greatly diminishes RLS for me, and even enabled me to go to the store, run necessary errands, etc.

Pregabalin (Lyrica) is much easier to dose properly. Gabapentin (Neurontin) is more tricky as it is metabolized strangely. The trick there is to take small doses, every couple hours or so with small meals or snacks. It greatly increases the bioavailability.

The problem is he won't take me off my meds so he won't prescribe anything to help me go off.

The problem is he won't take me off my meds so he won't prescribe anything to help me go off.

Gabapentin is relatively easy to get a hold of. I've received it from two separate GPs and a Psych doc no problem. It's unscheduled in most states, I think recently West Virginia and Tennessee made it harder to get. The generic is also very inexpensive. Lyrica is not as cheap and it's also scheduled. It's definitely worth looking into.

Are you unable to see any other doctors? Your doc sounds like a prick by the way.

Im actually in Tennessee. How long after taking kratom can a doc give you something for withdrawals? Im so miserable im about to go to the er even though I know how they will treat me.

If I could just sleep I would feel alot better but I haven't slept since the day before yesterday. I can't lay still to be able to sleep plus my anxiety is through the roof.

Last edited:
gabapentin or pregabalin would be extremely helpful for you.
In the US they have scheduled these now because of "opioid potentiation". Docs can no longer (supposedly) prescribe these in conjunction with opioids (in the US).
@Bamabelle
If you can acquire some (gabas) they do work... specially the pregabalin (lyrica)

Now I do have an old medicine called restoril. I think it is considered a benzo.

If it will let me sleep I will be thrilled but with me taking kratom 6 hours ago can I take it and at what dose? I haven't taken that stuff in 8 years. I think its 30 mgs.

In the US they have scheduled these now because of "opioid potentiation". Docs can no longer (supposedly) prescribe these in conjunction with opioids (in the US).
@Bamabelle
If you can acquire some (gabas) they do work... specially the pregabalin (lyrica)
Damn, that really sucks. It is an absolute god send for getting off opioids. I used to get scripted 3 grams per DAY so I always had tons on hand. Plus it was really easy to order online too but we won't go there.

I have no way to acquire anything.
The Restoril will make you test positive for benzos. Temazepam is a good hypnotic type benzo, so it would definitely help you fall asleep (if it's possible, I know I could never go more than a couple 30 minutes straight) and also give you some relief from the RLS and anxiety. Isn't that a no go for your doc though?

I don't quite understand why your doctor sounds like he's forcing you to stay on a medication. I would perhaps maybe stick with it for a while until you can get a different doctor and one who can more suitably help your individual needs, and most importantly, listen to you and what you want. I understand it's a VA doctor so that may not be feasible.

Only other recommendation is kratom. I know you said you tried some, but you can affordably purchase kilos of good quality leaf. Dosed several times a day should keep you in the clear for most the day and night until you can stabalize on it, and slowly taper off. I have used kratom to get off harder opioids more times than I can count. You can taper off that much easier (but there still is withdrawal.) I've been using it off and on since 2007. HOWEVER, I believe that is now restricted in TN too, is it not? Which is absolutely sickening. God, what is up with that state. Ludicrous.

If you don't have the ability to obtain any other medicines, and your doctor isn't willing to budge on anything, you might just need to stay on it a while until you can make some more permanent changes. That's just my opinion. I know a lot of times telling yourself to take it just a while longer can be detrimental but it sounds like you are already ready to quit. At the very least, demand that your doctors switch you to something that is 1) Not as viciously powerful when it comes to acute withdrawals (I've been there on Fent) and 2) Lasts longer. Was the hydrocodone not working for you? At least it is more flexibile in terms of dosing, not super long lasting, but redosing is possible very easily, etc etc.

I'm just kind of spitballing here. I know exactly what you are going through as do most people on this forum lol. But know that you can make it out the other side. You just have to decide what's truly best for you and what kind of compromises you have to make. Good luck.

Edit: accidentally mentioned price

Huh, you've really had luck with curing withdrawal symptoms from Gabapentin?

Huh, you've really had luck with curing withdrawal symptoms from Gabapentin?
Absolutely. To an astonishing degree. There are many others that have made mention around the forums in the past too. Now granted, I was usually already in the process of tapering off of oxy/dope/etc but the gabapentin dosed properly as I mentioned above, in smaller doses throughout the entire day, allowed me to even get some sleep, it helped the chills somewhat, and actually put me in a more positive mood. It even helps with the RLS which is my least favorite symptom and the thing that causes me the greatest suffering. I swear it works. It's not a total cure, but it's about as close to one as you're going to get besides taking more opioids.

Been trying to leave these things in the past, but at times it's just impossible.. if I had a few days off work maybe, but working with withdrawals is terrible. I may have to try the gabapentin. Maybe it'll at least allow me to work through withdrawal

Damn, that really sucks. It is an absolute god send for getting off opioids. I used to get scripted 3 grams per DAY so I always had tons on hand. Plus it was really easy to order online too but we won't go there.

The Restoril will make you test positive for benzos. Temazepam is a good hypnotic type benzo, so it would definitely help you fall asleep (if it's possible, I know I could never go more than a couple 30 minutes straight) and also give you some relief from the RLS and anxiety. Isn't that a no go for your doc though?

I don't quite understand why your doctor sounds like he's forcing you to stay on a medication. I would perhaps maybe stick with it for a while until you can get a different doctor and one who can more suitably help your individual needs, and most importantly, listen to you and what you want. I understand it's a VA doctor so that may not be feasible.

Only other recommendation is kratom. I know you said you tried some, but you can affordably purchase kilos of good quality leaf. Dosed several times a day should keep you in the clear for most the day and night until you can stabalize on it, and slowly taper off. I have used kratom to get off harder opioids more times than I can count. You can taper off that much easier (but there still is withdrawal.) I've been using it off and on since 2007. HOWEVER, I believe that is now restricted in TN too, is it not? Which is absolutely sickening. God, what is up with that state. Ludicrous.

If you don't have the ability to obtain any other medicines, and your doctor isn't willing to budge on anything, you might just need to stay on it a while until you can make some more permanent changes. That's just my opinion. I know a lot of times telling yourself to take it just a while longer can be detrimental but it sounds like you are already ready to quit. At the very least, demand that your doctors switch you to something that is 1) Not as viciously powerful when it comes to acute withdrawals (I've been there on Fent) and 2) Lasts longer. Was the hydrocodone not working for you? At least it is more flexibile in terms of dosing, not super long lasting, but redosing is possible very easily, etc etc.

I'm just kind of spitballing here. I know exactly what you are going through as do most people on this forum lol. But know that you can make it out the other side. You just have to decide what's truly best for you and what kind of compromises you have to make. Good luck.

Edit: accidentally mentioned price

Yeah no luck in changing docs and I tried kratom today. That was the most horrific experience. Actually made everything worse. Regardless until I go to the doc next week i don't have a choice but go go without my patch until next Monday so I have to go through this regardless. I took the restoril (about 20 mg i think) about 40 minutes so and it's still not helping at all.