AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

Other Stock Market 101

mtu mwendawazimu

Bluelight Crew
Any gamblers here?

1). What is a Stock?
A stock (also known as "shares" or "equity) is a type of security that signifies proportionate ownership in the issuing corporation. This entitles the stockholder to that proportion of the corporation's assets and earnings.

Stocks are bought and sold predominantly on stock exchanges, though there can be private sales as well, and are the foundation of nearly every portfolio. These transactions have to conform to government regulations which are meant to protect investors from fraudulent practices. Historically, they have outperformed most other investments over the long run. These investments can be purchased from most online stock brokers.

2). Types of investment vehicles

Stock
: A piece of ownership of a corporation. Owners of stock (called stockholders) are entitled to the company’s profits in the form of dividends, as well as voting rights for company management.

Options: A type of derivative that gives a buyer the choice to buy/sell a position by a certain date. The seller of the option gets a premium and keeps his/her position if the option expires worthless.

Futures: A type of derivative that fixes a set price for a buyer and a seller at a future date.

Bonds: A type of fixed-income investment which is debt for the issuer and an asset for the buyer. Payments (called coupons) are paid in regular intervals, and the principals is repaid when the bond reaches maturity.

ETF: Acronym for exchange-traded fund. Usually a group of assets, but sells very similarly to a single stock.

Forex: Short for foreign exchange. Trading currencies. Usually highly leveraged and risky.

3). Know the metrics
There are dozens of metrics you can use to evaluate a stock, but the following are some of the best for locating undervalued stocks:
  • EBITDA: Any investment banker knows what EBITDA is - Earnings Before Interest, Tax, Depreciation and Amortization. This is how a company is valued all together, and the lower the margin, the better.
  • Price-to-earnings (P/E) ratio: By dividing a stock's current share price by its annual earnings, you can calculate this metric, which is useful for comparing companies in the same business. A lower P/E means a stock is "cheaper," but this is just one variable to consider. The current average market P/E ratio is roughly 20 to 25 times earnings.
  • Price-to-book (P/B) ratio: Calculated by dividing a stock's price by its equity per share. A book value of less than one implies that the stock is trading for less than the value of a business's assets. Value investors use P/B multiples to find stocks with a margin of safety. Traditionally, a ratio under 1 is considered good.
  • Price-to-earnings to growth (PEG): Found by dividing a stock's P/E ratio by its projected earnings growth rate over a certain time period -- typically the next five years. This can be effective for assessing the valuation of a company with a seemingly high P/E, but whose earnings are growing rapidly. PEG ratios higher than 1 are generally considered unfavorable, suggesting a stock is overvalued.
  • Return on equity (ROE): A company's annualized net income as a percentage of shareholders' equity. This is a measure of how efficiently a company is using invested capital to generate profits. ROEs of 15-20% are generally considered good.
  • Debt-to-equity ratio: As the name implies, this is calculated by dividing a company's total debt by its shareholders' equity. A good debt to equity ratio is around 1 to 1.5. However, the ideal debt to equity ratio will vary depending on the industry because some industries use more debt financing than others.
  • Current ratio: A liquidity metric calculated by dividing a company's current assets by its current liabilities. This tells investors how easily a company can pay its short-term obligations. Acceptable current ratios vary from industry to industry and are generally between 1.5% and 3% for healthy businesses.
Read more - (https://www.fool.com/investing/2016/05/31/5-point-checklist-to-finding-an-undervalued-stock.aspx)

4). Know technical Analysis
This is a way to guesstimate trends by looking at the actual stock chart.

Support/Resistance
By visually marking the charts, users can see certain price levels that tend to prevent prices from falling any further before rising back up again. These are known as price support levels. Users will also spot price levels that continue to provide a ceiling, that eventually causing prices to fall back down again after testing. These are known as price resistance levels.

Stock Volume
Volume measures the total number of shares traded for a specified period of time. It is used as a measure of interest that can manifest into significant price action. High volume indicates significant trading activity that triggers a breakout or a breakdown accompanied by a sustaining trend in prices. Breakouts result in higher trending prices and breakdowns result in lower trending prices. When volume is light, stocks tend to chop around in a range known as consolidation.

Trends
Trends indicate the current direction of share prices. When stock prices continue to rise higher, it is considered to be in an uptrend and vice versa for a downtrend. Uptrends indicate increasing demand for shares, as buyers are willing to pay higher prices as supply diminishes. Downtrends represent an oversupply of shares with waning buying interest resulting in falling prices. By connecting the various high and low points on a chart, you can manually generate trendlines that pinpoint support/resistance and direction of stock prices. When compared to historical templates of similar trendlines, you may be able to forecast the future direction, turning/inflection points and targets.

5). Compare to the industry
Knowing ratios and technical analysis is one thing, but comparing a stock relative to their industry is a must.

6). Industry News
Pretty self explanitory. Look for news on the stocks you're interested in to see if they have any hints on whether or not the stock is under or over valued.

Ratios - www.macrotends.net (my favorite)
Tech. analysis - https://stockcharts.com/school/doku.php?id=chart_school:overview:technical_analysis
Industry comparison - https://www.zacks.com/stock/research//industry-comparison
News - https://seekingalpha.com/market-news/all

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The more people invested in your stocks, the more money you are likely to make.

That said, who are YOU investing in??

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bluelight doesn't like advertising or self-promotion, but I'm using Robbinhood.com as my preferred platform for trading because they don't take commission on trades. In other words, buying and selling is FREE! This is a very uncommon phenomenon. They also allow you to trade on margin (borrowing money from them) and also allow up to$1,000 in INSTANT deposits (you can trade immediately, as opposed to waiting for the transaction to be completed by your bank). If anyone is interested, PM me and I can share a referral to help us both get free stock.

Anyone else using other trading sites? if so, what do you like or dislike about it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Pro tip I've learned through the years....

The stock market is like gambling, never invest more than you can actually burn.

Very nice man! Awesome post! Im definitely a gambler ;) Never heard of robinhood. Ive been personally using the "Think or Swim" platform from TD Ameritrade which is pretty good. Ive heard good things about ninjatrader, but never really looked into it though. Ill have to check robbinhood out as well. I literally have no idea what the commission is on the "Think or Swim" platform (for futures). Probably something I should look into LOL. But you cant be free!!! (with robbinhood)

White Rose is right, if you cant afford to lose it... dont do it! Because it can and WILL happen. I lost THOUSANDS when I first started lol Thankfully ive made that back though.

Keep this up madness and you might get me to catch the trading bug again. Maybe :p

So what ways does RobinHood make money from clients? Quarterly/Annual fees?

There are some fees, like $75 to take your money out, and fees for making a deposit that gets rejected by the bank.

Also, Robinhood passes on regulatory fees. This includes the SEC fee, which is $2.31 per $100,000 of principal, which is valid for sales only. The fee is rounded up to the nearest penny.

The Trading Activity Fee of 0.0119¢ is only applied to stock sales. It is rounded up to the nearest cent and is capped at $5.95 per transaction.

But there isn't straight commission collected, like other platforms.

Very interesting. $75 aint too bad. They gotta make money some how, I suppose. Nothing in life is free lol I gotta few errands today, after I get back ill definitely check them out. Since ive never had a "3rd party" trading platform, do you simply connect it to your trading company?? Ie. TD Ameritrade, Etrade, etc. etc.

"We have temporarily suspended inbound account transfers until further notice. This is a planned maintenance outage and we're working hard to get ACATS (Automated Customer Account Transfer Service) back up, but our systems had to take a breather while we converted to Clearing by Robinhood.

We're hoping to resume inbound ACATS sometime in 2019, and you are welcome to open a new Robinhood account and get started investing while you wait. We'll be sure to update the help center and our social media pages as we get closer to restoring this feature."

BTW - their mobile app is amazing. I do most everything from my phone.

Last edited:
"We have temporarily suspended inbound account transfers until further notice. This is a planned maintenance outage and we're working hard to get ACATS (Automated Customer Account Transfer Service) back up, but our systems had to take a breather while we converted to Clearing by Robinhood.

We're hoping to resume inbound ACATS sometime in 2019, and you are welcome to open a new Robinhood account and get started investing while you wait. We'll be sure to update the help center and our social media pages as we get closer to restoring this feature."

BTW - their mobile app is amazing. I do most everything from my phone.
Damn that sucks! Guess ill just YouTube some videos on it. Wasnt able to trade again today... Hopefully next week will be better (I work tomorrow). Hopefully I get that new job, then I can do it every day (its a night shift job).

what is this

Buying and selling stocks online. Madness posted a nice summary up top.

You basically buy little tiny pieces of a company then sell them when the prices go up. But you risk the prices going down and losing money. That's the gambling part.

Buying and selling stocks online. Madness posted a nice summary up top.

You basically buy little tiny pieces of a company then sell them when the prices go up. But you risk the prices going down and losing money. That's the gambling part.
yeah i know what investing is lol i didnt know if it was real investing or pretend

Yeah just to clarify, I'm not trying to mislead you Pete. In fact, if we both go in on the same stock the company AND us will benefit.

On a scale of 1 to Dope, how dope is that?

Last edited:
OMGGGGGG I want to trade so bad right now! This damn job of mine has been keeping me from doing it! Ahhh!!! Wednesday will be the only day this week I can... Working 108 hours this week... *facepalm* On a 48 hour shift today (getting off at 8am wednesday) and my next shift is Thursday (getting off at 8pm saturday).

Thankfully were not busy atm, but cant risk trading because you never know when you're going to get a call.

Cool thread, Madness! I dipped my toes into equity investing with Canadian cannabis stocks in the year or so surrounding its legalization in Canada. I did quite well, but haven't jumped back in since.

hey @madness00, would you like to give me your sign up code so we both get penny stocks? I’m ready to trade on two, medical stocks xx

Hey y’all—new earnings’ quarter report tomorrow (July 1) FYI
Would have liked to start trading stocks (my first ever) tmrw
Is that not a good time to start with new earnings’ quarter ? It is also said that July - November is slow but does not mean you should not trade ?

No way I can feel confident in time for July 1 but—watch this space =)