• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Stimulant tolerance = messed up

lemonman

Bluelighter
I read a report online of some guy that was taking Ritalin, and he took a year break, and started taking it again but resulted him in getting only 10% of the effects.

I too had this experience, I was on 30mg LA and 10mg IR for about 2 years... i then took a year break and started taking Ritalin again but noticed barley any effect.
Only felt a tiny bit.

this is a bit strange because people say to take tolerance breaks, which is true, my farther says when takes a month off drinking and drinks again after that month it blows the head clean off him.
and of course many people with psychedelics, you don't need such a high after taking 2 weeks break.

is problem for all drugs or just some drugs such as Methylphenidate?

thanks.

Very strange. For me, stimulant tolerance actually lowers quicker than ANY drug (marijuana coming in a close second). When I was prescribed vyvanse and adderall, I could literally only take a 4 day break (while eating healthy and exercising), and have my tolerance ALMOST back down to normal.

However, this is methylphenidate, which has a different mechanism of action on the brain (dopamine reuptake inhibitor as opposed to releasing dopamine), so maybe that is why tolerance is not being lowered. However, a year is a LONG time....

Question is, which effects are you getting, and which are you missing? IOW, are you still getting "stim" effects, but just not the positive mood?

I think there are different forms of tolerance. One is the physiological, desensitization kind, where taking a break lets those various receptors grow back; and the other is large-scale brain adjustment, a sort of psychological tolerance. I think that form can last as long your memory.

There's also a lot of anecdotes for things like antidepressants that just stop working altogether after an extended break. Almost like there's some inertia with certain psych meds--they work as long as you keep moving, but if you come to a stop they just never get going again. Methylphenidate may be a stimulant, but it's structurally related to antidepressants, and I wouldn't be surprised if it has the same limitations.

Question is, which effects are you getting, and which are you missing? IOW, are you still getting "stim" effects, but just not the positive mood?

I think there are different forms of tolerance. One is the physiological, desensitization kind, where taking a break lets those various receptors grow back; and the other is large-scale brain adjustment, a sort of psychological tolerance. I think that form can last as long your memory.

There's also a lot of anecdotes for things like antidepressants that just stop working altogether after an extended break. Almost like there's some inertia with certain psych meds--they work as long as you keep moving, but if you come to a stop they just never get going again. Methylphenidate may be a stimulant, but it's structurally related to antidepressants, and I wouldn't be surprised if it has the same limitations.

Seconded. What you're experiencing OP, would be considered an extreme anomaly based upon what you've described. It's definitely not normal and like Scrofula, I would be interested just what you mean by not experiencing the same effects from Methylphenidate (Ritalin).

You dont build a tolerance to Amphetamines ... It breaks down like this amps Interact with your DOPEamine , Extended use of amps WILL result in downregulation of D1 & D2 receptors in the brain , This is the "Tolerance" we all Despise

I have been taking Vyvanse and Adderall (10mg support IR's) for over 7 years and recently took a 4-5 month break from them (which is not uncommon). I just re-filled the other day and today is my third day taking Vyvanse (60MG) with zero effect what-so-ever. The Adderall works just as well as it always has.

I'm not really sure, it could be something I've been eating or taking in the past few months canceling it out, or a bad batch (if that's a thing), but it could also be a similar case as the report you read. Especially given its day three and I usually have a much more pronounced effect after taking such a break.

Will be interesting to see, I've never had this issue before but it sure sounds like what you're describing..

Can you (EazyEze and (OP)) clarify what you mean by "works just fine" and "zero effect what-so-ever"?

I've never been treated for any ADD and have no idea what the therapeutic effects are supposed to "feel" like. There is not a tiny number of people it seems who skip any therapy and head straight for recreation (I"m not judging, I would have too if I had those as a teenager). I can relate to that high, but not to the "working" dose.

So I'm curious about what seems like two effects: mental stimulation and positive mood. Do both effects go away, or just one? Which one are people seeking? It's starting to seem to me like two user classes: Adderall &or Ritalin as cognitive enhancers for school/work and/or as antidepressants. (Leaving out the people who just want a good time; I understand that part just fine.)

Even more interesting is how for EazyEye one drug works, but the pro-drug stopped working.

I find this interesting as well. I've made mention of a chick I knew that had narcolepsy, and after taking her off the wonderful Dexedrine (wasn't her idea, the doc was an ass), she went through several different meds, one of which was Vyvanse. Although she missed the Dex and how it made her feel, the Vyvanse did the job, for a while at least. After a couple months it just quit working. She took no break from taking it, and the dosage was never changed one way or another. This happened a couple times with different meds before finding a suitable drug. What an ordeal to go through when you didn't have a problem in the first place.

Myself, I've had drugs up and stop working sans break as well, but with anti-depressants and neuroleptic (antipsychotic) drugs. I'm a skin coated refuse bin, and doc was slinging pills in my mouth, and down the hole like those prepubescent ski-ball savants you might see during the first, and final, date at Chuck-E-Cheese during one of your more regrettable dalliances.

Those skinny ski-ball savants, cautiously emerging from their D&D sanctuaries, the only place in town they can finally display gender-of-interest attention-gathering prowess, and strut with date-stealing arrogance, owning the alley, ripe with pheromones and Accutane--and that's where you asked Mom to take you two. If only you'd gone to the claw machine first.

The interesting thing with Vyvanse/lisdexamphetamine, is that it's not your liver that metabolizes the pro-drug, but your red (I think) blood cells. Which is weird. You'd think those would be pretty uniform between people and over time, but maybe there's some unusual chemistry involved. I guess that's the kind of thing I could go look up.

Vyvanse suck , Adderral is Little Brother to the sitting King of Amps, Ohhhhh Methamphetamine how you make me Fiend , All i want is more Dopamine

I find this interesting as well. I've made mention of a chick I knew that had narcolepsy, and after taking her off the wonderful Dexedrine (wasn't her idea, the doc was an ass), she went through several different meds, one of which was Vyvanse. Although she missed the Dex and how it made her feel, the Vyvanse did the job, for a while at least. After a couple months it just quit working. She took no break from taking it, and the dosage was never changed one way or another. This happened a couple times with different meds before finding a suitable drug. What an ordeal to go through when you didn't have a problem in the first place.

Myself, I've had drugs up and stop working sans break as well, but with anti-depressants and neuroleptic (antipsychotic) drugs. I'm a skin coated refuse bin, and doc was slinging pills in my mouth, and down the hole like those prepubescent ski-ball savants you might see during the first, and final, date at Chuck-E-Cheese during one of your more regrettable dalliances.

What drug worked in the end for her?

I double-checked, and Vyvanse/lisdexamphetamine IS metabolized by red blood cells, or in 2014 sure looked liked it. Rapidly absorbed through your small intestine into your blood stream, where RBCs suck it up and an unidentified peptidase hydrolyzes it to amphetamine and lysine. Thence to your plasma and off to your brain. You can apparently be bleeding out from gunshot wounds and still have enough blood for it to work.

There are peptidase inhibitors that could kill that reaction, but if you take those, attention problems aren't a big priority. So no explanation from me for why it could stop working.

the beast said:
Vyvanse suck , Adderral is Little Brother to the sitting King of Amps, Ohhhhh Methamphetamine how you make me Fiend , All i want is more Dopamine

It breaks down like this amps Interact with your DOPEamine ,

You realize eating more meth can mean less dopamine, right?

You realize eating more meth can mean less dopamine, right?
Yes im Aware that Meth Being a dopamine/Serotonin Reuptake inhibitor and Agonist is not something you want to Continuously Redose , I'm sure most tweakers(According to the US Government im technically an Ice Zealot) are aware that they are straight up toasting themselves, yet continue to do it, Its a hell of a drug.

I will take multiple month long breaks from using adderall, and when i use again my tolerance is almost back to where it was in the beginning, but only for the first dose. After that tolerance comes back with a vengeance. And you will never get that "first time" feeling back, which is what most of us are chasing.

For recreational rushing (I read your other posts deemgd, I know how you use your Adderall) stims are really only good for about two doses in forty-eight hours. It's just like MDMA--once you blow your transmitter reserve, it just has to build back up if you want to get a rush.

That's a separate process from tolerance though, when your receptors down-regulate and become less responsive. For that you need to avoid redoses and space your sessions as far apart as possible.*

Therapeutic failure is a whole different mysterious thing, and I bet has too much psychology involved.

*Yes, I'm aware I do the opposite of those things.

So are you saying that you could barely take four days off while being healthy and come back with a tolerance level that was normal? Because I was in the clinical trials of Vyvanse and I've been taking it since 2009, and I've had it prescribed up to 100mg/day but since 2011 had 70mg/day every day until 2017 when I started on 40mg/day, and literally *none* of the benefits I used to have are present anymore. And this is not just when taking the small 40mg dose. I've had days where I've doubled up to 80mg/day and still there's nothing. I'm usually pretty hungry, sleepy and have trouble concentrating. I logged on here to see if anyone else was having these symptoms.

So are you saying that you could barely take four days off while being healthy and come back with a tolerance level that was normal? Because I was in the clinical trials of Vyvanse and I've been taking it since 2009, and I've had it prescribed up to 100mg/day but since 2011 had 70mg/day every day until 2017 when I started on 40mg/day, and literally *none* of the benefits I used to have are present anymore. And this is not just when taking the small 40mg dose. I've had days where I've doubled up to 80mg/day and still there's nothing. I'm usually pretty hungry, sleepy and have trouble concentrating. I logged on here to see if anyone else was having these symptoms.

Were you referring my last post?

If you were, I meant that a recreational abuser of stimulants, like folks who do meth over a weekend, need at least four days to return to baseline.

I don't know what the answer is with Vyvanse, for you or the other posters. But it hasn't been very long at your new dose (~six months?), and you're still having double-days.

I'm thinking it could be like coffee. If you have two cups every morning for years, then decide to drop to one cup, it will take a while to get used to. But on weekends you still have two cups but feel like you just can't tackle the housework like you used to. (My guess is because you were less keen at the time than you like to remember.)

But I bet if you went from 2 cups to zero for a long time, and then back to two cups, you'd be peeing constantly and grinding your jaw as you clean all the things.

But then, I'm good at bad analogies.

hmmm.....maybe ~ but...I *don't* think so. Vyvanse has *never* affected me like meth. During the clinical trials when my dose was up to 100mg, there was *some* frequent urination. But there was never any teeth grinding or obsessive cleaning, or anything like that. From 2011 on, I just took 70mg a day and from that point on everything was pretty normal.