• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Stigma/Myths surrounding Methamphetamine - '...meth does not cause brain damage'

Lightning-Nl

Bluelighter
I saw this article, and I was incredibly impressed. Just like Amphetamine - Methamphetamine, at therapeutic dosages, is not neurotoxic and does not cause brain damage. Methamphetamine when heavily abused can cause brain damage, however, so can any drug.

I, personally, believe that the social stigma's around Methamphetamine are criminal. Methamphetamine is legitimate medication that could have many indications (ADHD, obesity, nasal decongestant, treatment-resistant depression, Parkinson's Disease, etc.) And yet, this will never happen because of the lies the media has created about Meth.

Anyways, what's your opinion on this matter? I personally believe that this is one of the most unfortunate things that has happened to many drugs. Drugs that could really help people get put into Schedule I just because people happened to abuse it before any research was actually done into the drug... quite sad really...

EDIT: 7 YEARS LATER

At this point we've discoverd that Methamphetamine creates free radicals that bind to Dopamine and Norepinephrine and Serotonin receptors that permanently destroy them. Meth therefore is directly neurotoxic to Dopaminergic/Serotonergic/Norepinephrine cells

Last edited:
wouldnt long term use of meth at therapeutic doses have some kind of effect on the brain after a while

i just dont think that you can get away with being on amps for decades without it causing some irreversible damage

im not judging or anything thats just what i woulda thought

I, personally, believe that the social stigma's around Methamphetamine are criminal. Methamphetamine is legitimate medication that could have many indications (ADHD, obesity, nasal decongestant, treatment-resistant depression, Parkinson's Disease, etc.) And yet, this will never happen because of the lies the media has created about Meth.

Anyways, what's your opinion on this matter?

Using stimulants to treat obesity or depression is incredibly foolish & short-sighted IMO. Yes, they work wonders for these ailments; however, once the drug is gone, what are you going to do? Nothing has been gained, just postponed. Meth is a highly addictive drug & I don't think many people should do it. Do I feel like it's the government's right to dictate who can & cannot have it? No, but I don't think meth is a good idea for almost anyone.

Using stimulants to treat obesity or depression is incredibly foolish & short-sighted IMO. Yes, they work wonders for these ailments; however, once the drug is gone, what are you going to do? Nothing has been gained, just postponed. Meth is a highly addictive drug & I don't think many people should do it. Do I feel like it's the government's right to dictate who can & cannot have it? No, but I don't think meth is a good idea for almost anyone.

I wouldnt say its incredibly foolish and short-sighted at all and in fact it is prescribed for that under the name desoxyn. Fancy name for cleaned up meth but i believe it has the same chemical structure.

to me it is a shame and it show the power of how the media can brainwash people over a long period of time. its a horrible how meth is in a catagory of its own. their drug users and then theirs meth users.

they do this with certain drugs starting with reefer madness in the 30's that said if you smoked bud you were gonna rape, kill, and rob random people, outlawed LSD in the 60's for absoluty no reasoning, in the 80's it was crack, and today its meth. people have eaten it up since the beginning.

that fat pig that worked in a jail that had nothing better to do than create a college of peoples mug shots and call it faces of meth was really damaging. im not gonna say some of those people werent on meth but those are extreme cases and more toward a lack of hygiene more than the drug itself.

just like anything out there, too much of a good thing is bad. its not the drug making these people psychotic, its the lack of sleep and the brains reaction to it that causes weird behavior. you have to have a strong mind too when seeing the difference in reality and not reality. and a strong mind to know when you need to eat and give yourself rest.

I'm curious about what would be considered "therapeutic" and what would be considered "abuse" or "heavy abuse"? Like what sort of doses are we talking about and how often are they being taken?

I also find the hysteria surrounding meth pretty ridiculous. Even amongst the larger "drug community" meth use seems pretty taboo.

Even here where people are educated on meth and its genuine dangers, its often implied meth is neurotoxic and causes physical damage no matter what dosage. Obviously this is not true, however i think the exaggeration with regards to this may be somewhat valid due to the fact that in most causes the dosages used by proper recreational meth users are likely within the neurotoxic range. It would be interesting to know exactly at what dosage or circumstance it crosses over from safe to physically damaging or toxic.

In terms of personal experience. I have used huge doses, over days, suffered many terrible physical symptoms of what might be considered OD level dosages, however never in over a year noticed any negative ongoing effect to my mental state at all. Thats two years using meth close to 100 multi day high dose binges. Can say the same for coke, after 5 years of maybe using twice a month at min before meth, never caused any long term issues or increases in anxiety, not a single long term noticeable negative effect.

However, MDMA, only 9 months usage, twice a weekend and 1 single stupid OD day right at the end and my life was forever changed beginning with 7 years of life fuking drastic mental changes and genuine brain damage level symptoms, which have never fully healed or ever will. Yet, meth gets all the neurotoxic heat and endless attacks on this point and i never hear a single thing about poor innocent little mdma, which in my opinion is probably 50 times more dangerous and brain damaging then meth could ever hope to be. And thats my genuine real life experience. I dont care what any "studies" say to the contrary.

IMO, It's all about TV commercials. meth-Amphetamine is slightly more empathogenic/serotonergic than regular Amphetamine, and methylenedioxy-meth-Amphetamine (MDMA) is even more so. Everyone has their preference, i like them all but i feel that meth has the best balance between 'stim' and 'monge'. It's just that the meth-Amphetamine version is easy to make at home, so they target it relentlessly because they know it will be the hardest to control.

The same is true for amphetamine guys. In recreational doses of Amphetamine, it becomes neurotoxic - just like every other drug in existence.

Keep in mind, however, that recreational doses are usually far higher than therapeutic dosages (therapeutic dosages ending at 20 milligrams once per day and recreational doses starting at 90 milligrams once every 4 hours)

It is amazing how fantastical and deep-seated people's belief in propaganda is. They have this visceral fear of it to the point of physically and passive aggressively attacking anything associated with it. All this despite almost the same drug being prescribed to their children and meth helping us win WWII with pills by the tens of millions.

WWII? Whats this now? Are you saying soldiers used it? Fuk, I would not want to by anywhere near soldiers or anybody with a weapon on meth. I can just imagine accidentally getting shot in the back and a high amount of trees and innocent wildlife being wiped out due to those pesky "shadow" soldiers appearing everywhere. Or "shit i swear i heard something in dem bushes a sarge.

Pilots in the airforce are given Dexedrine , im cool with that at therapeutic doses. My motto is a low dose of speed that won't get me recreational is.better than none at all . It calms my thought process

I wouldnt say its incredibly foolish and short-sighted at all and in fact it is prescribed for that under the name desoxyn. Fancy name for cleaned up meth but i believe it has the same chemical structure.

to me it is a shame and it show the power of how the media can brainwash people over a long period of time. its a horrible how meth is in a catagory of its own. their drug users and then theirs meth users.

they do this with certain drugs starting with reefer madness in the 30's that said if you smoked bud you were gonna rape, kill, and rob random people, outlawed LSD in the 60's for absoluty no reasoning, in the 80's it was crack, and today its meth. people have eaten it up since the beginning.

that fat pig that worked in a jail that had nothing better to do than create a college of peoples mug shots and call it faces of meth was really damaging. im not gonna say some of those people werent on meth but those are extreme cases and more toward a lack of hygiene more than the drug itself.

just like anything out there, too much of a good thing is bad. its not the drug making these people psychotic, its the lack of sleep and the brains reaction to it that causes weird behavior. you have to have a strong mind too when seeing the difference in reality and not reality. and a strong mind to know when you need to eat and give yourself rest.
doctors are so quick to give out amphetamines like candy just by saying your in. School and working a fear your priorities are in jeopardy, my one shrink thinks adderall helps drug addicts. These are performance enhancing drugs for people in our. Country. The government loves nothing more for us to be productive hard working academically advanced and have the reputation as a strong smart nation. Ironically asking for anxiety meds that are schedule IV like Xanax or Klonopin is looked at a drug as dangerous as heroin or crack , but it's ok to condition innocent children into taking methamphetamine , and sadly given no opportunity to know what they are doing to there brain

WWII? Whats this now? Are you saying soldiers used it? Fuk, I would not want to by anywhere near soldiers or anybody with a weapon on meth. I can just imagine accidentally getting shot in the back and a high amount of trees and innocent wildlife being wiped out due to those pesky "shadow" soldiers appearing everywhere. Or "shit i swear i heard something in dem bushes a sarge.

This post was ridiculous, come on now. Every side used millions of pills, they were not taking them to get sleep deprived and insane for fuck's sake. Does everyone prescribed ADHD meds that are almost exactly the same act like that? Dur! No, medics gave this shit out when soldiers were exhausted etc. The German "pervitin" brand was only 3 mg a pill. Desoxyn is 5mg.

I hope those soldiers had plenty of FHM and Penthouse mags lying around after taking their PERVITIN lmao

I was reading on erowid about amphetamines used in WWII and it mentioned countries like the USA & UK used amphetamine and or dextroamphetamine while Germany & Japan both used Meth. Makes ya think when you consider the outcome of the war lol....

This post was ridiculous, come on now. Every side used millions of pills, they were not taking them to get sleep deprived and insane for fuck's sake. Does everyone prescribed ADHD meds that are almost exactly the same act like that? Dur! No, medics gave this shit out when soldiers were exhausted etc. The German "pervitin" brand was only 3 mg a pill. Desoxyn is 5mg.

Well i was exaggerating for humors sake, so just calm yourself. Im sure it helps in very controlled dosages and circumstances but i still wouldn't want to be there in the thick of it with amped up soliders all around me. My biggest concern with this would be the increased anxiety or possibility of a quick and incorrect reaction to something, which is there even in the smallest dose. Anxious soldiers, not good.

Personally id give them all a combination of lower dose non sedating opiates and stims so that the wounded and dying can carry on fighting for a little longer (Every little bit counts on the battlefield.) and take some of the stim edge/anxiety off.

Lol, pervitin, a perfect name for meth, so true.