• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Stereosonic death shows festivalgoers are playing 'Russian roulette', police say

Concerns raised over lack of warnings given about drugs at Stereosonic dance party and openness of organisers

a6cffb349a0536a436a8649117f44d8d

TROUBLED music festival Stereosonic is under scrutiny following the second death at one of its events in a week with claims the dance parties are staged under an atmosphere of excessive secrecy and more could have been done to warn people of a “bad batch” of ecstasy pills.

Meanwhile, allegations have emerged on social media that Stefan Woodward, who died after taking ecstasy at Stereosonic’s Adelaide leg, was mocked by his friends for seeking medical attention and persuaded to leave the first aid tent.

Totem OneLove, the promoters behind Stereosonic said that while “every effort” had been made to keep revellers safe, “there is only so much we can do”.

Mr Woodward, 19, died on Saturday after being rushed to hospital after allegedly taking drugs at Stereosonic in Adelaide’s Bonython Park.

Last Saturday, 25-year-old pharmacist Sylvia Choi died after taking ecstasy at the Stereosonic in Sydney bringing the total number of deaths at Australian music festivals to six since last November.

A further two people hospitalised at the Adelaide dance party remain in a stable condition at the Royal Adelaide Hospital. South Australian Police say they issued 23 drug diversion notices and seized 34 ecstasy pills at the event.

f46f54b70b9e14432f1ad11b1790fae5

A further 20 people were hospitalised at this weekend’s Stereosonic festivals in Melbourne and Brisbane with almost 190 arrests at the two events. A man remains in a serious but stable condition at Melbourne’s Western Hospital.

‘NO ONE SHOULD HAVE TO GO THROUGH THIS’

Mr Woodward’s distraught mother, Julie Davis, said her family would “miss their happy, fun-loving young man whose life has been cut so tragically short”.

Mrs Davis, an aged-care worker, called for more support staff to help festival goers in need.

“I keep asking what could have stopped me from losing my son, and my other two sons from losing their darling brother,” she told the Advertiser.

“More than anything I want something good to come of this tragedy. I want organisers of events like these to make sure there is enough first aid on offer to make sure that no one gets turned away, and no one feels they need to wait.

“I want friends to look after each and make sure it’s never considered weak to ask for help. And I want young boys and girls like Stefan to never be too scared to ask for help.”

“Mostly, I never want another family to go through what we are going through now,” said Mrs Davis.

219e31f62c3d39f62ea0af770510addf

Mr Woodward, who was completing year 13 at Seaton High School, was a gifted lacrosse player.

‘MOCKED’ FOR SEEKING MEDICAL HELP

But claims have emerged on social media that acquaintances of Mr Woodward may have mocked him from seeking medical attention at the festival.

A post on Facebook from a fellow festival goer, whose identity hasn’t been disclosed, said Mr Woodward was behind her in the queue for the medical tent.

“I hope all your friends who called you a ‘pussy’ feel bad for not listening to you and pulling you out of the line. RIP Stefan,” reported Channel Seven.

As well as dealing with the two deaths, festival organisers Totem OneLove are also facing scrutiny about a lack of information and a perception of secrecy surrounding the events.

Festival-goers said organisers did not make an announcement warning about the potentially lethal drugs, stamped with a dollar sign, found inside the venue.

The was despite police tweeting about the contaminated pills before 8pm on Saturday evening.

In addition, staff and independent contractors at the event have been barred from speaking to the media.

Last week, news.com.au contacted medical service provider First Care to see what, if any, extra precautions were being taken at the Adelaide event in light of Ms Choi’s death. However, the organisation said only Totem OneLove was authorised to speak.

St John Ambulance, one of Australia’s largest providers of medical care at outdoor events including at Brisbane’s Stereosonic, refused to provide news.com.au with even general advice on how attendees should remain safe.

Patrons are also banned from taking pictures on cameras, mobile phones or recording devices, ostensibly to prevent breach of copyright laws.

Cont -

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/he...s/news-story/90722814883b28f3751f3e00951b3605

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-12-...-resigns-over-stereosonic-drug-charge/7013094

Brisbane Stereosonic: Queensland constable quits police force after drug charge

A North Queensland police constable has resigned after allegedly being caught with drugs at the Stereosonic Music Festival in Brisbane at the weekend.
The 26-year-old woman was one of about 130 people arrested on drug charges at the event held at the Brisbane showgrounds.
Ethical standards was investigating but Queensland Police said the woman had since quit the service.
"The officer will not be subject of a disciplinary investigation concerning allegations of misconduct due to her resignation," the statement said.
She is due to face the Brisbane Magistrates Court on January 5.
Event organisers went all out to ensure the festival's Brisbane leg was safer after a 19-year-old man died in Adelaide and a 25-year-old woman died in Sydney from an overdose.
Extra ambulance officers and security staff were hired to supervise patrons, but ambulance officials said the measures did not stop people taking drugs.
Over the weekend, paramedics took 20 people to Brisbane emergency departments for treatment for drug overdoses