Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Stephen King's The Dark Tower series

I probably wouldn't see if even it it were produced. Would ruin my own version of Mid-World I have in my head :)

Universal to produce three films and a tv series based on Stephen King's Dark Tower

Universal announced today that it has acquired the rights to produce three films and an NBC series based on the seven novels, short stories and comic books from Stephen King’s The Dark Tower. Ron Howard will direct the first film and the first season of the TV show, which will be written by Akiva Goldsman (The Da Vinci Code).
“I’ve been waiting for the right team to bring the characters and stories in these books to film and TV viewers around the world,” said King, in a statement. “Ron, Akiva, Brian along with Universal and NBC have a deep interest and passion for the The Dark Tower series and I know that will translate into an intriguing series of films and TV shows that respect the origins and the characters in The Dark Tower that fans have come to love.”

Link to the complete article

Finally! I'm glad they've chosen a good director, too. In the hands of the wrong person, this movie could be a disaster. Then it's goodbye franchise. I'm not sure how I feel about the tv series though. Seems like major overkill.

I've actually written to HBO several times with this idea. I never got a response. So,if one day this does comes to fruition,know that they are thieving bastards.
LOL, no one would have though of making a Stephen King book into a movie without you. ;)

This thread had me thinking about reading them again, but I seem to have lost the first one somehow. :(

This probably won't turn out well. .. my head, I need some Astin!;)

Last edited:
Let me just vent that a stranger at a bus stop ruined the entire Dark Tower series for me when he heard that I was a King fan. Thank Christ I'd never read any of the books, or I'd have been sorely tempted to throttle him.

I could never get into the series...the first book bores me to death, i've tried re-reading it a couple of times and it's just...dull and goes nowhere. (and I usually love Stephen King novels) Any tips? haha

I could never get into the series...the first book bores me to death, i've tried re-reading it a couple of times and it's just...dull and goes nowhere. (and I usually love Stephen King novels) Any tips? haha

Try reading the second book, 'The Drawing of the Three', it is heart pounding and hilarious.

Universal Pictures and NBC Universal Television have locked down an ambitious deal to adapt Stephen King’s fantasy novel series "The Dark Tower" for both the big and small screen reports Deadline.

"The Da Vinci Code" team of director Ron Howard, producer Brian Grazer and writer Akiva Goldsman will adapt the property into a feature film trilogy and network TV series that, in a highly unusual move, will unfold the story simultaneously across both formats. Ideally the viewer would watch the first film, the first season of the show, the second film, the second season of the show, and then the final film.

Ron Howard has committed to direct the first feature and first season of the series which will follow in close proximity. Akiva Goldsman will pen the film and the first season of the series which Grazer, Goldsman and King himself will produce.

Howard says the story's scale and scope requires a big screen budget, but a series allows them the time to explore the characters and their various nuances. Characters from the films and shows would crossover, while sets from the films will be reused on the series which would help cover the expense of such an undertaking.

The story follows Roland Deschain, the last living member of a knightly order of gunslingers and humanity’s last hope to save a civilization that will crumble unless he finds the mythical Dark Tower. Howard described the world of the Dark Tower as a post-apocalyptic Sergio Leone landscape.

Which books will be incorporated where is presently unknown, though the second season of the show is expected to be focused on Deschain as a young gunslinger using material from the prequel comic book series.

JJ Abrams and his "Lost" duo of Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse were the last to attempt to turn the property into a film relatively recently, but couldn't crack it. Howard, Grazer and Goldman are wasting no time with this version though, with Howard making this his next project once he finishes work on "The Dilemma". Goldsman is already busy at work writing.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/18194/-dark-tower-gets-series-film-trilogy

This is my take on it.

Try reading the second book, 'The Drawing of the Three', it is heart pounding and hilarious.

I actually stopped reading the series here because I hated this book so much. This was yeaaaaars ago, though, so maybe I'd have a different outlook now.

Let me just vent that a stranger at a bus stop ruined the entire Dark Tower series for me when he heard that I was a King fan. Thank Christ I'd never read any of the books, or I'd have been sorely tempted to throttle him.

I'm very interested - what did he bring up?

I thought these stories shined in the comics medium. I'm not so interested in the movie version

That's the second time you've posted practically the same article in the same thread as I did. What gives?

second? i have no idea which other you're referring to. in this one i'm just complimenting yours with another source. chill out man, there's no competiton or credit in copypasta.

I think someone like David Fincher would do better than fucking Da Vinci Code Ron Howard/Brian Grazer team.

I actually stopped reading the series here because I hated this book so much. This was yeaaaaars ago, though, so maybe I'd have a different outlook now.

Your right, what a booooooring book... put me almost to sleep- who cares about some guy from a time(what we would probably describe as the American old West) that is almost dying who is forced to travel between parallel worlds and has to kidnap/ match wits with a heroine addict, a schizo and a meticulous killer ... all the while navigating in a strange world by possessing people and searching for some aspirin, antibiotics and a strange and elusive dark tower . pfffff, so boring.

;)

Oh and Jamey Sheridan better reprise the role of Randall Flagg

1045944749_RandyFlagg.JPG

Damn. I was hoping you were doing it intentionally. I was almost flattered. :(

sorry, brah. aint like that, but i guess we're both excited by similar news, that's somethin, right? great minds something something.