• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Status Update on Manboychef

What was OCD like for you? I get the sense there's a lot of different presentations of the disorder, and there's lots of misconceptions about it.

I want to say it started as perfectionism, but the resulting behaviors don't seem to prove that! My degree is in electrical engineering. Naturally in college, all the calculus, chemistry, physics, etc. was predicated on precision and being meticulous. When I graduated, I started working as an engineer. I think over time, unconsciously, it seeped into my thought process.

I think it was in the late 1980's when I first became concerned enough about it to ask a doctor. He said it was not uncommon for people in professions like mine to be perfectionists and prescribed Prozac to me.

Mine was repetitive behaviors, not anything like numeric sequences or biblical verses. One was going outside to turn off the water spigot, coming in, having an overwhelming compulsion to go out and turn it off again, over and over. Another one was checking the communal mailbox in my complex. I would go out and check it, come in, and then have an overwhelming compulsion to check it again, over and over until I would be in a panic. It's totally inexplicable behavior! The behaviors seemed to have something to do with me going outside. Just reliving it gives me the wiliys. You guys already know I'm whacked so here's the kicker. Manboys gonna love this!

My wife told me the neighbors were starting to talk about me. You know the Google Earth photos of your neighborhood? You guessed it, I was out there so frequently, my picture was on the Google Earth picture of our house with me at the mailbox!

Last edited:
Eckhart Tolle is a great teacher. I, too, have found a lot of his writing very helpful.

Eckhart Tolle is a great teacher. I, too, have found a lot of his writing very helpful.

I really like his book A New Earth. The ideas resonate with me although I understand that some criticize them as being psychobabble.

Last edited:
thats impressive mbc stayed sober during this crisis. i know that if my health went to shit again i would be back at it in a second.

I want to say it started as perfectionism, but the resulting behaviors don't seem to prove that! My degree is in electrical engineering. Naturally in college, all the calculus, chemistry, physics, etc. was predicated on precision and being meticulous. When I graduated, I started working as an engineer. I think over time, unconsciously, it seeped into my thought process.

I think it was in the late 1980's when I first became concerned enough about it to ask a doctor. He said it was not uncommon for people in professions like mine to be perfectionists and prescribed Prozac to me.

Mine was repetitive behaviors, not anything like numeric sequences or biblical verses. One was going outside to turn off the water spigot, coming in, having an overwhelming compulsion to go out and turn it off again, over and over. Another one was checking the communal mailbox in my complex. I would go out and check it, come in, and then have an overwhelming compulsion to check it again, over and over until I would be in a panic. It's totally inexplicable behavior! The behaviors seemed to have something to do with me going outside. Just reliving it gives me the wiliys. You guys already know I'm whacked so here's the kicker. Manboys gonna love this!

My wife told me the neighbors were starting to talk about me. You know the Google Earth photos of your neighborhood? You guessed it, I was out there so frequently, my picture was on the Google Earth picture of our house with me at the mailbox!

Thanks for sharing. :) Sometimes I make sure I turned the stove off because I have in all actuality forgotten every now and then :! =D

Glad to hear all is well with you <3

[/QUOTE] Manboy, I'm here in Tampa about 90 minutes from you if there is any way at all I can help you out, like transportation or whatever. I really mean it, I'm not just saying it to be polite. I'm retired so I've got nothing but time and availability forever![/QUOTE]

=D This warms my heart. I love people who help other people. No matter how bad things are for me, it helps me to help others. Thank you, FLA.

MBC...Think of you often. Wish I could do more. Listen closely in the distance. It's the rustling of pom-poms, my friend. I'm CHEERING for you!

Hey Z, popped on here to reference something in one of the stickies and saw this thread and thought I'd say 'hey.' I hope this post finds you managing better. I still have the same phone number if you feel like texting or calling sometime. I bought my own place over the summer. I live in a condo development on Lake Orlando in Rosemont, not far from the intersection of Lee Rd/JYP/NOBT. Coming up on 8 months - the psychiatrist said I look years younger. Keep in touch. A