• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids STARTING SSRI WHILE ON OPIOIDS TREATMENT

CobakuSamsara

Bluelighter
Hello my friends, I'm here to ask you something that happened to me and it's a bit weird. I've been taking large doses of opioids for months, mostly oxycodone and morphine. Well, I'm bipolar and it's been 3 years or so since I stopped using antidepressants. Lately, I had some hard depressive feelings and decided start taking paroxetine. Strangely, it's been 12 hours since my first dosage in years and I'm feeling super manic! I thought it was going to take a lot of time to feel some "good" effect, mania is a lifeguard for me right now and I don't understand how it's possible, since I don't have knowledge of opioids acting in serotonin. I don't have any explanation for this, I don't take anything but opiods, I don't even drink alcohol or smoke cigarettes. Placebo is not a thing in here since I was expecting all the time to get more anxious and have a really hard time, till it starts to kick in. Does anybody know anything that can explain this? I appreciate your help. PS: Not taking opiods on a daily basis now.

It maybe an anomaly, or what is know as the the AD jump lead effect, as most Reuptake inhibitors work immediately on a molecular level, at general onset of action within an hour let’s say, as a compound it gets straight to it. However The build up of your cerebral network blocking 5ht on a therapeutic scale is still subject to the usual 2-6 weeks or so!!

I'm moving this to other drugs. I think you will get a better response there.

I'm very sure opiates and SSRIs have no effect on eachother. I started taking Sertraline/Zoloft before I started using opioids and everything's always been fine.

Codeine analgesia is due to codeine-6-glucuronide, not morphine.
The PhaseII metabolism into Codeine-6-Glucuronide wouldn't make it useless, although possibly take away some of it's magic. (using the word magic for codeine is a stretch)
C-6-G (50-70 %) is considered to do as much if not more than Demethylated Morphine(5-15%) alone, though losing either on something as weak as codeine is going to be problematic.

View attachment 11278

Fluoxetine and paroxetine are potent CYP2D6 inhibitors, whereas fluoxetine's main metabolite, norfluoxetine, has a moderate inhibitory effect on CYP3A4. Fluoxetine deserves special attention as inhibitory effects on CYP-activity can persist for several weeks after fluoxetine discontinuation because of the long half-life of fluoxetine and its metabolite norfluoxetine.

Losing 2D6 would render Tramadol nearly useless without it's M1 metabolite, O-Desmethyltramadol, which is a metabolite that is FAR stronger than (+)-/(-)- Tramadol.

View attachment 11279
I was not aware of the novel nature of Fluoxetine metabolites so thank you. :)

The cumalitive affect of some compounds which work on 5ht in the background, are often overlooked. However unless I am wrong, the only designed opiated with SRI SRE effects attached on purpose, is Tramadol.

I've been thinking if I may need some antidepressant.... Been smoking weed, but could not smoke it anymore, because stupid medical crew is on my back (sort of big monkey:eek:).

Well oh yeah, I'm on methadone maintenance, and feeling relatively depressed, because I COULD NOT SMOKE WEED..

I've been thinking if I may need some antidepressant.... Been smoking weed, but could not smoke it anymore, because stupid medical crew is on my back (sort of big monkey:eek:).
Not following the relevance pal?

Jekyll We should be giving codeine a knighthood, without it there would be no poppy as we know it!!