• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Heroin staph infection from iv drug use.

kkgb1035

Bluelighter
i wasn't sure where to put this but since i got it from iv drug use using opiates i figured id put it here.

so i have been stuck at home for the past 3 days and have only had one rig so i re used it.(stupid i know)
i got a red bump on my arm that looks kinda like a pimple and looked it up online and im thinking that it might be a staph infection.it dosnt hurt or anything and i cant seem to pop it to drain it.
if anyone has anyother idea what it might be please let me know.
If it is a staph infection is there anything i can help it go away? like and lotions or creams or non prescription drugs.

is it something where i have to go to the hospital?

IS it painful? It's just going to get worse I'd go to the hospital.

no it dosnt hurt at all. im not too sure if its staph infection. somethings iv read online is that when people do have it it hurts.

A staph infection is no joke. It sounds like an abscess. And if it is either there is nothing you can do on your own. Do not drain it. Do not try to treat it along. Go get it seen to and stop re-using your needles!

Yea if it doesn't hurt you should be fine. If it gets worse go the hospital. Obviously don't continue to shoot there.

its looking like ill go see my doctor this week but I'm gonna try and find something i can maybe buy from the store.
or just see if it gets better over a couple days.i have had bumps come up on my arm like this before and they have gone away but this just looks a little different.
im defiantly going to try and stay stocked on cleans and if i dont have one then not let my addiction get the best of me.

i had the same thing happen. reused a needle way too much and got a small bump the size of a mosquito bite or pimple coming in. didnt hurt, sometimes but rarely itched, and no pus so no way to pop it. i had it for about 2 weeks at which point i got worried and went to the doc. he told me it wasnt an infection just an irritation and gave me a corticosteroid cream to rub on it. after using that for like 4 or 5 days it went away. i do still have a little permanent redness there (not really redness actually its more brown) like how a pimple will sometimes leave a dark spot/scar where it was. but otherwise im fine. thats probably what you have and if it doesnt go away on its own after a few days i would go get it checked out it definitely helped relieve the stress/anxiety i was having from not knowing what it is. you can also try using some tea tree oil which is a natural antiseptic and just use vit e and aloe cream to help though i doubt those will do all that much. i actually just got the same sorta thing but a bit smaller from the shot i did today (though i used a fresh new needle and didnt miss-at least dont think i missed at all) so im thinking its just an irritation from the cut in the dope and hope it goes away, but i do still have that cream i got which i just rubbed on it.

good luck!

also wanted to add that i saw a doc online before going to the clinic and told him i had what i thought was an infection. he gave me antibiotics to take for it which did nothing to it, hence another reason why i doubt it was an infection.

lechium thank you so much! yes what you explained is exactly what i have so im certain its the same.I tend to stress and think the worse over things like this so to know its something that can get better makes me feel alot better.My night /next week has just became way less stressful. I really appreciate the feedback.

peace and love

Np I know its stressful I had moments when I thought the worst and read shit online that got me really freaked out to the point where I had anxiety attacks. If it doesnt go away def get it checked out the doc didnt give me and shit when I told him I used IV h and was really understanding and helpful...however the visit did cost me about $160 as I didnt use my insurance because I was worried of it being put on a record or something

yea what iv realized somthings can really freak you out on the web but then again something are really helpful especially people lke you on here!
im gonna give it a week and then o have an app for other things so might as well check it out then.
check back in weeks to come and ill reply with how things turned out.
thanks again!

kinda a late reply to all this but a couple days after i posted the area i though might of been infected just cleared up went back to normal.i still have a weird hard bump ther which im gonna get checked out this week during my appointment. i might as well talk to my doctor about seeing as im gonna be ther anyway

Thats a good idea. Those hard lumps are pretty normal though i wouldn't be too worried its usually just scar tissue that has formed under the skin.

I have had a staph infection pop up because (in my thinking) iving caused an underlying staph infection to spread. I had a pimple like spot pop up on my chest, to the right, under my boob. It started small and ocer a week grew to a large, inflamed sore that radiated in pain. It was so tender that I could barely wear a shirt or bra. I continued to iv despite my thoughts of the origin. By the end of the first week I finally took a warm compress to the sore. It immediately oozed...for days. All over the sheets and pillow covers, the towels, shirts would be stained with crusted bloody pus by the end of the day. Eventually my dumb ass started covering it so that I wouldn't spread infection to other parts on my body. Well, the original sore got so large it did branch off to other smaller infections. From not covering the pus, i have multiple small, immatue staph abcesses. I take antibotics when I remember, has been helping but I still have a spot under my boob that is hard, red, and has a soft opening, from where it oozed out. Do I need to keep compressing this area? Also, it has scared several other areas, should I worry with this large spot being a bad (possibly) discolored scar?

kinda a late reply to all this but a couple days after i posted the area i though might of been infected just cleared up went back to normal.i still have a weird hard bump ther which im gonna get checked out this week during my appointment. i might as well talk to my doctor about seeing as im gonna be ther anyway

Sounds like a regular abscess. Still might turn into something nastier, but what happens is the infection gets "walled off" under your skin, thus causing the little pocket or bump that might FEEL like a zit or something from the outside, but isn't really poppable.

Take the anti biotics as you should until your better.... even check with your doctor after you finish your script. Last thing you want is drug resistant staph

I almost lost my foot using a dirty needle. If you have the chills, fever, and swelling I suggest going to the emergency room. I waited days and ended up in the hospital for 8 days. The dr said I was close to losing my foot. It also looked like a pimple.

Another sign of bacterial infection that has formed an abscess, or that is generalized to skin and subdermal tissue (this is called cellulitis) is a combination of redness and heat, that can be felt to the touch, it will feel significantly hotter, at least if it is of any size, compared to the rest of the limb. Abscesses are, once grown past the tiny stage, excruciatingly painful and can cause some massive, massive swelling. When they burst, or if opened and drained then they will ooze theresa may...err...ahem, repulsive, stinking pus, potentially bloody or containing gelatinous bits of clotted blood. Definitely, if that happens get to the hospital, because aside from the very tiniest such infections they grow rapidly and can do major damage. Definitely, the slightest resemblance to theresa 'gutterbitch' may, then its trouble.

They will not get better on their own, but grow. And need draining surgically. Some smaller ones can be dealt with by antibiotics of the right type, assuming the organism causing the grief is not resistant to the antibiotic. In the meantime if its hurting severely, whilst waiting for the appointment, in waiting rooms etc, elevating the limb up into the air will help with the pain although it will not assist physically in any way shape or form, only lessen the agony a bit.

I've had an abscess before like that and it needed surgical treatment, after being impaled by a dirty old nail, that had been holding an ebony mask, african, on the wall, covered in plaster, an ideal nucleation site for all kinds of horrid pathogenic muck. It was so searingly painful, after my leg had swollen to over twice its usual diameter at the thigh, that in hospital I had to persuade a medic to bring me a tank of nitrous and leave me with it in the waiting room. He did, and by the time they had come to take me to the ward, that nitrous tank was literally, drained to the last little whiff, completely depressurized.

The first medic that had attended me was a tightfisted, procedure and protocol-obsessed anal retentive gutterfuck. Diarrhea in ambulant, mammalian biped form. A slobbering unclefucking inbreed who insisted I could have ONLY at first 10mg ORAL morphine. And this despite seeing prescriptions (it was weekend, and I had taken my last dose, being due again for refill on monday) due to chronic severe pain in my knee and hip joints. And knowing that I am able to quite easily withstand a gram of intravenous morphine, to a gram and a half, plus whatever oxycodone, if any, I choose to throw in. And he insisted thats all he was allowed to give anyone. Plus when it did nothing at all, I EVENTUALLY managed to browbeat him into giving me another 20mg oramorph, and then grabbed the syringe it came in and sticking it up my arse right there and then haha. Had no choice really since that little would do very little to me even IV. He otherwise gave not a shit, and was fine with leaving me in withdrawal, the bastard cunt son of a syphilitic dogfucking crackwhore.

The other guy was a rare breed, an angel wearing human form. I asked him, pleaded for a tank of N2O, explained about the other prick, and he didn't just let me have a bit, but just left, then returned in a few minutes lugging a full-sized tank, almost my height, and a mask, then left me to do with it as I wished.

That was amazing, the relief was not far off immediate, and being a dissociative anaesthetic, it was actually more effective than I think a solid opiate dose would be. I was sat there in the waiting room, pain faded to something utterly irrelevant, completely off my fucking tits, whacked out of my tree, the guy laughed his ass off when I told him my gratitude and how it was even working better than the diethyl ether I'd been breathing and drinking shots of, ether on the rocks, before I rang the ambulance (in which, although a smaller one, I'd drained dry another tank of nitrous, this time as entonox, that started full and despite a fairly short journey to the hospital from my place, bled to the last gasp between home and hospital entrance. Somehow managing to time that by sheer luck, so that the moment it gave out completely was just barely long enough to recover enough balance to get into a wheelchair from the ambulance and into the hospital, recovering my dissociative-fucked speech at about the time I got to the triage=D)

That is not the typical thing they do here. In fact I am very surprised the second medic complied with my request. I wouldn't have gotten it if I had not asked specifically for a tank of N2O; and while I asked, I really, really didn't actually expect to get it. And if I did, I expected to be given a few minutes on it, not to be simply handed a tank. Well, have a tank lugged over for me, parked there and the medic to clear off after giving me a quick primer on working the flow controls (although I'm used enough to using gas bottles of CO2, argon, nitrogen, O2 and other pressurised gases for chemistry purposes that I didn't need it) When they eventually DID ask for the tank back, it was because they were moving me to a ward where I could seek opioid analgesia, to the best luck I might get there. But by that time there wouldn't have been any point in my taking the tank with me even if I COULD, because the only thing I could have done with it would be take the empty thing home, and plate the inside of it with a suitably resistant metal coating to survive it being filled back up with chlorine, or SO2)

The look I got, though, when they came for the tank and then realized how LIGHT it now was, because there was nothing whatsoever left inside, that was priceless, and the laughter somewhat in the way of pain relief in and of itself! I just kind of turned round and Edit / Delete grinned at them, shrugged my shoulders=D. Although of course I thanked the guy who gave it to me and brought it over, both for it in the first place, and for just leaving me to it, to read my book and suck it dry.

There are way too many real stingy, mean-spirited bastards, but once in a while, if your lucky, you run into someone like that medic. He literally, is a living saint. Truly he is. I still feel immense gratitude for that.

And there was someone else, that more than once, when I have had trouble of various kinds and have been treated like shit by others, whilst in there, even when I was being discharged, they, because I'd not been given the prescription medication i NEED to take daily even when nothing else is going wrong that I would seek hospital assistance for, or if I was, then at improper doses, and you can bet they were improperly on the low side not too much!

But, rather than give me the two or three days worth of medication coverage, such as for example, a few morphine and oxy caps, plus 6 chlormethiazole capsules, they gave me a big fucking entire BOTTLE of liquid oxy, two big sodoff great full packs of morphine 30s and some tens, plus not one but TWO containers of chlormethiazole. I'd asked for two to three days of meds, meaning six CAPSULES of the chlormethiazole. Instead I got two bottles of capsules, containing sixty caps in each bottle. Plus masses of cimetidine, clonidine, tizanidine, gabapentin and cyclizine. They even gave me a small handful of morphine 100s.

And i don't even GET those 100mg capsules of morphine XR on prescription outside of hospital. I think it was either to stop me making a formal complaint about being left to withdraw whilst in there, or compassionately motivated, as a kind of compensation, by way of saying sorry we fucked up big time, here, have these and enjoy.

And they have fucked up like that several times, and several times I've been, after asking for a small supply of the essentials from my medkit that come from prescribed sources, to tide me over a weekend for instance, or simply so I have a day or two to recuperate before making a doctors appointment with my GP, I've had the same thing done for me, including those massive hospital pharmacy stock bottles of chlormethiazole capsules. I was very surprised at that, because typically its viewed mainly, although not exclusively as an in-patient detox drug for alcoholics (and I am not one, however I do take chlormethiazole as an unlicensed seizure prophylaxis drug, because whilst I strictly speaking shouldn't have got that prescription for that indication, I did get it, and it not only works, but does so with great efficacy. It does precisely what I ask of it with very very little in the way of side effects or negatives) BUT, its a damn dangerous drug, its similar to the short-medium acting barbiturates only without their AMPA receptor antagonism, a clear-headed strong barb in other words although chemically in a class all on its lonesome. It has a very steep dose-response curve, and it will easily kill in overdose. And I am truly astonished that I was given it when already on a heavy daily dose of morphia and oxycodone plus gabapentin and the two adrenergic autoreceptor agonists I take, muscle relaxant tizanidine and autistic overload-suppressing clonidine.

And for them to let the stuff out of their sight like that in such a HUGE quantity, the two 60 count bottles, rather than two lots of SIX individual dose units...they can't have fucked up like that surely?? Lol they metaphorically speaking, pretty much gave me the keys to the pharmacy and bonked the pharmacist over the back of the head with a blackjack, poured me a stiff glass of vodka, ether and codeine syrup w/limeade, dragged a CD player and my favourite collection of metal and industrial albums over and left me to party (I call that cocktail a 'manhattan project, came up with it several years ago, its made by layering the codeine syrup, not sugar free type, but the chloroform-flavoured kind, with vodka and limeade, then floating a little shot container of diethyl ether on top like a jagerbomb. Manhattan project is my pun on the manhattan cocktail, and the US nuclear program of WWII=D)

Last edited: