• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Stadol for dogs...torbutrol

Buster-Kun

Greenlighter
So I was recently given a bottle of a couple hunderd 5 mg Torbutrol by a friend of mine who didn't want them because of the way they made him feel. Obviously he wasn't IVing them because I don't think he would have ever given them away. But, he did mention a strange effect when taken orally. I know it used to be marketed as Stadol and was intranasal and that several BLers have enjoyed it by that roa. But like my friend when I ate 15 - 25 mgs of this stuff it gave me the anti-high. And similarly, when insuffilated the "high" was several times worse. Sketched out and completely uncomfortable. I'm curious to know if anyone else has had similar effects with torbutrol or any other generic of this chemical when taken orally?

Well it is a mixed agonist/ antagonist, so I would imagine it acts similar to other mixed opiates such as buperinephrine and levorphanol.
That means that at low to intermediate doses, it acts as an agonist (those feel good opiates) but at high doses it exhibits antagonist activity, which means that it acts like naloxone and other similar opiates in that it probably replaces its metabolites (the part that makes you feel good) with the drug itself and may even replace indigenous opioids at their receptors, which, when you have a full agonist or a mixed opiate and your receptors are down-regulating can cause this "anti-high" you are talking about.

Obviously you need to find the dose that works for you, so start low and work your way up. Also, since these are pills you should only take them by the prescribed ROA, which would be orally. A safer way to turn this into something you could insuffulate would be to dissolve in water, filter, and then insuffulate the solution. I would caution against IV'ing any pill no matter what. Good luck, be safe.

Useful information. I wonder then, why is it so raved about in the IV worlds and obviously as Stadol when the exact same medication taken orally, even at relatively small doses (15- 25) can have a naloxone esque effect? Is there that great a difference between this drug IM or IV and oral?

Also, i'm unfamilier with 'buperinephrine'. Are you refering to buprenorphine?

yeah, sorry about that spelling. bupe.
I can't answer your follow up question since I have no IV experience, especially with this particular drug.
All I can say is when I have taken mixed agonist/ antagonist drugs, there is a very fine line between reaping the pleasurable benefits of the metabolites and getting "un-high" from ingesting too much of a drug.

Well maybe the kappa-agonism is causing dysphoria. K-agonism is known to cause dysphoria.

I remember taking 5mg tortubtrol years ago [working at a vet clinic, had easy access to drugs] and thought it was a nice, calm euphoric high. But then again, at that time I had a low to no tolerance for rx medications, was mainly just doing a lot of coke. Recently my dog was given 25mg capsules of torbutrol [also known as butorphanol] - took 1 full capsule and nothing. There is very little research on its use in people in the form of pill/capsule, mainly used IV or as a nasal spray for migraines. So I took a small amount of the powder and mixed it with saline and inhaled it, but again, didn't feel anything. My narcotic/benzo tolerance is beyond high right now though. Tried a small amount - aiming for the normal dose of 2mg mixed into sterile saline in a syringe and went IM and then repeated again in 30 minutes. Next think I knew I was fast asleep. From what I read, and someone correct me if they know more, when taken orally you only absorb about 5-7% of the medication. So now I have a ton of this med because it didn't work for my dogs chronic cough and cost me a fortune to have specially compounded for her [shes a 100lb dog] and I'm trying to figure out how to use it for a nice euphoric high