Sports, Leisure, Gaming, and Gambling

Finder said:
Any of this is covered under Second Opinion, IMO.

for some reason my keyboard does not want to cut & paste but there are threads on ashes cricket both in EDD & Aust Social. both current.

i would be surprised if there were not other sports threads NOT in SO.

i would favour reopening original thread.

Finder said:
Any of this is covered under Second Opinion, IMO.

you are right in that it is covered in SO, but I think sports and gambling deserve their own sub-forum. I think it's stupid that sports threads are in SO. well, they were first in the Lounge then got kicked into SO.

I think this type of forum would generate enough feedback. we could discuss poker, football, soccer, baseball, basketball, roulette, slots, and betting in general. it would be a GREAT addition to Bluelight. I am all for xtc's proposol.

I live by sports so if you need a mod...

xtcxtc said:
for some reason my keyboard does not want to cut & paste but there are threads on ashes cricket both in EDD & Aust Social. both current.

i would be surprised if there were not other sports threads NOT in SO.

i would favour reopening original thread.

EADD and Aus Social have always been somewhat self-contained anyway. I'm not particularly opposed to have a specific forum as I doubt I'd really participate much. It's really up to the admins if they feel another forum is warranted. Perhaps a trial basis to gauge interest is in order as this subject keeps cropping up year after year.

Finder should be disqualified in the decision making process because he hates sports. ;)

Seriously though, it's obvious that the demand is here for such a forum. If we can have several forums for music and one for film/TV I don't understand why a sports forum isn't included. Why should this entire genre of human spectacle and entertainment be split amongst various forums?

10 people demanding it doesn't mean there is enough demand for it. I still think it's completely unnecessary.

this discussion has raised its head and faded away a couple of times in my bluelight lifetime.

would anybody on the 'for' side of the debate care, for once, to actually make a case for creating such a forum - a case which goes beyond "it would be cool" or "it would obviously be successful"?

alasdair

but alasdairm, don't your two aforementioned reasons warrant this new sub-forum? look at the Lounge; that forum is fun and it is the most successful forum on BL (maybe).

I think slopping sports threads in SO actually degrades SO. what is it then that we are saying about SO by doing this? that it is a "trash bin" of some sort?

it most certainly is not, and sports threads most certainly do not fit in there.

m885 said:
If we can have several forums for music and one for film/TV I don't understand why a sports forum isn't included. Why should this entire genre of human spectacle and entertainment be split amongst various forums?

Agreed.

I'm all for a trial at least.

xtcxtc said:
still under consideration after more than 1 year TLB.

i would be grateful if the admins could decide one way or the other within 1 week.

cheers.

We're very slow on thinking, how else did we become Admins ;)

Actually, the response was not provided formally as a reply in this thread, though it ought to have been. The response is the non-creation of another forum when this came up a year ago. The decision at that time was to let such discussions fly under the SO forum header until enough traffic on the subject justified such a forum.

It's been a year, plenty of time to see what kind of traffic this subject matter has created in SO, so a review would be appropriate (and is in process with the Admins as I write this). However a few points should be made, I think. First, you'll still have the regional forums maintaining their own threads to some degree - it is their corner of the world, and part of their sense of 'family' to discuss such things internally. The more 'global' discussions appear to have been surviving in SO well enough, but I don't think there would be an intention of moving all regional threads to such a forum if it were to be created - I believe we'd respect what is already in place, and see if the members wanted to continue the discussions regionally or in a proper forum home. I suppose what I'm poorly trying to say is that we would not intend to disrupt the regional threads if we did this.

Also, I'll point out that the suggestion of a week to reach a decision is somewhat unrealistic, and I can't say when a final decision would be reached (though certainly some response is deserved before another year passes ;) ). We're dealing with a site that has six admins, and with a reluctance for anyone to weild executive power and perhaps make bad decisions, we try to get a majority decision made before any action takes place. With six Admins, that can take a little time for everyone to have input...certainly more than a week. Most especially during a time frame of Christmas and New Years holidays occuring :\ Patience, faith, and crossed fingers is what we'd ask of you guys - along with any other constructive comments on the decision. In return, we promise to give a firm answer as soon as we can. :)

Really couldn't give a flying fuck.

Am I interested in sports? No.

Am I worried that my forums are getting cluttered with sports related posts? No.

So think that's a pretty resounding no from me unless it's dealing with harm reduction in sport.

the only problem I have with all sports threads being in SO is it doesn't foster very much specific discussion. I'm a sports fanatic, and would have input on a huge variety of topics, especially now in college football season, but instead we have just one college football thread, when if it were up to me we'd have discussion of a playoff system, bowl predictions/discussions, a thread to pimp your team, threads on injuries/suspensions, a place to nominate top plays, and many more just for college football. The same would be applied to baseball, basketball, pro football and so much more just on the sports side. Throw in games like poker and such and there would definitely be content to fill a sub-forum, but as long as sports are under the SO umbrella the threads are not going to flourish in the same way.

Alasdair: What other reason could you want? Obviously such a forum is not going to have an impact on the community like the harm reduction forms are, few people are harmed by not discussing their interest in sports (however if you expand it to practicing sports you could discuss exercise and stretching tecniques and such). None of the forums other than the drug discussion forums have such reasons behind their existence, so why would a sports forum be held to a higher standard to being created, when clearly the lounge, tv, slr and most of the rest of the forums on this site don't provide the service as the drug discussion forums do, so I don't understand what kind of standard you want us to hold for sports when others are not.

If this actually happens and you need a mod I'd throw my hat into the ring.

toolazy2think said:
I'm a sports fanatic, and would have input on a huge variety of topics, especially now in college football season, but instead we have just one college football thread, when if it were up to me we'd have discussion of a playoff system, bowl predictions/discussions, a thread to pimp your team, threads on injuries/suspensions, a place to nominate top plays, and many more just for college football. The same would be applied to baseball, basketball, pro football and so much more just on the sports side. Throw in games like poker and such and there would definitely be content to fill a sub-forum...
if you are a sports fanatic there's nothing to stop you having "input on a huge variety of topics" now in the so forum by starting threads on these subjects. as it stands, you haven't started a single thread in second opinion dedicated to any sports topic.

i really don't mean to single you out but what you are saying just isn't supported by your contribution so it's hard not to take it with a pinch of salt.

toolazy2think said:
...but as long as sports are under the SO umbrella the threads are not going to flourish in the same way
why not?

toolazy2think said:
Alasdair: What other reason could you want? Obviously such a forum is not going to have an impact on the community like the harm reduction forms are, few people are harmed by not discussing their interest in sports (however if you expand it to practicing sports you could discuss exercise and stretching tecniques and such). None of the forums other than the drug discussion forums have such reasons behind their existence, so why would a sports forum be held to a higher standard to being created, when clearly the lounge, tv, slr and most of the rest of the forums on this site don't provide the service as the drug discussion forums do, so I don't understand what kind of standard you want us to hold for sports when others are not.
he difference is that these forums already exist and a sports forum does not. they don't have to make a case for creation.

i've said it before - i'm not philosophically opposed to the idea of a sports forum but i think that the pro-forum lobby have to come up with a better argument than "it will probably be successful".

those in favour of a sporting forum have been invited time and time again to come up with something more in support and have never made a case. i don't make these decisions at bluelight but if i did, i'd want to see some effort on the part of those in favour to convince me that it will work. if they're not even prepared to put together a convincing case, what on earth would make me believe that they'd participate in such a forum if it were created?

related reading:

[Declined] Forum Suggestion: 30+ Forum
sports
General Suggestions for Bluelight

alasdair

Last edited:
if you are a sports fanatic there's nothing to stop you having "input on a huge variety of topics" now in the so forum by starting threads on these subjects. as it stands, you haven't started a single thread in second opinion dedicated to any sports topic.

i really don't mean to single you out but what you are saying just isn't supported by your contribution so it's hard not to take it with a pinch of salt.

true, but in my defense up until like a month ago I had pretty much left BL, it's only been recently that I'm back, although your point is still valid. Other than my posts in the college football thread I havn't posted anything much about sports, if the posts are welcome though I'll try to start some topics whenever an interesting topic comes up/I have more time.

apologies if i made you feel like you had to explain yourself - my comments were meant in a more general sense.

currently, on the front three pages (120 threads) of second opinion there are 8 threads which would qualify for such a new forum. to me, that just doesn't seem like the kind of demand which necessitates a whole new forum.

how does one rationalise these two things - people saying a new sports forum is important but it's not important enough to them to do something as simple as start a thread on a sporting matter?

alasdair

i see diego blunt is suddenly making a burst of sport and gaming-related threads in second opinion.

while i admire the effort, it seems to address the letter but not the spirit of the discussion. who's to say the sudden influx of posts won't vanish as quickly as it arrived once a separate forum is created?

alasdair

currently, on the front three pages (120 threads) of second opinion there are 8 threads which would qualify for such a new forum. to me, that just doesn't seem like the kind of demand which necessitates a whole new forum.

To make a horribly corny metaphor, if you build it they will come.