Sports, Leisure, Gaming, and Gambling

it should be. Bluelight is not supposed to be run by one person making decisions and thats the way its been going for a long time...:|

im not necassarily saying every time someone wants a new forum it calls for a vote, or when someone has an idea on who should be a moderator, or what not...BUT this site is for all of us and it was nice when we actually had some input :(

Last edited:
Originally posted by dreamgirlie19
Bluelight is not supposed to be run by one person making decisions...

i'm intrigued by this comment - what dictates that BL isn't supposed to be run by one person making decisions?

alasdair

^
That's kind of how I feel.

It's not like we all had a helping hand in building this site from a technical stand point. We all don't own this domain name, we all don't maintain this site technically, we all don't handle the sites costs, and we all don't stay up late at night trying to keep this site online when there's server problems.... Where are we getting this 'We all post on here so we should be able to dictate how things are run' mentality?

I didn't create this site, but I'm glad to be a part of it. I have no problem playing by the rules that the PERSON WHO FOUNDED THIS SITE has set, or guidelines from someone skydancer has appointed. It's no big deal really.

^^^

lol, this site is sooo much more than its origins (which was basically an ecstasy board). Obviously, no one has to do a fucking thing ever so whoever runs the site can do with the site what they want. I always wondered why anyone would waste time and say "its mine, so i can do with it what i want." No shit, but its not a bad idea to share, especially when the site would not be shit without the people who come here.

The ppl who say that it should be done my majority vote or that the mods need to lighten up, are not giving legal opinions, they are saying what they think is right and the response of "its mine, fuck you" while legally correct is pretty stupid.

oh and on the topic, i agree sports etc... would be a great new one.

Like randycaver and DD said, many of us, like myself, are former (or very light) drug users because we have grown up and moved past the heavy drug use stage of our lives.

I really could not say it better than Randy did "came for the drugs stayed for the people." The diversity of bluelight, is what makes it strong.

But if you stay for the people.. Why the fuck do new forums have to be created (that don't have anything to do with drugs)..?

^^^^^because i enjoy talking with like minded ppl about sports and other things besides drugs, and i still browse the drug forums, but since i havent much experience lately, i dont have anything new to add.

I think the problem with the sports board is not that there is not interest, but the mods who want nothing but drug forums are afraid it will be too successful so they keep trying to nix it.

Its one thing to allow "words" (what is that forum anyway?) or another community forum that does not get much attention, but my bet is that if you added sports, it would quickly rise to the top 5 in traffic almost overnight.

(I realize some of the other community forums get noticeable amounts of traffic, but like any consensus--albeit of only the few ppl who are running this place, the results are not always consistent.)

Originally posted by miamistu
...but my bet is that if you added sports, it would quickly rise to the top 5 in traffic almost overnight.

perhaps. but two points:

1. it's not your bet. they're not your dice to roll.

2. maybe a sports forum would rise to the top in terms of traffic but is that a good thing for BL? i'm sure a britney spears forum could attract a lot of traffic - does that mean BL should have one?

alasdair

Re: Crimson & Clover

BlueAdonis said:
I see your points, Rocka. These are things that have been mentioned before on the board (and in MPC). Although you're gonna bust my balls for saying this, I think with each addition of non-drug discussion forums it takes away from this site's purpose and goal. Yes, you can aruge that Film & Television, Words, SLR, Second Opinion are not necessarily "drug related" but must the board fall further away from the topic?

I just dont see how much traffic a sports could possibly generate, also. How many sports topics are in the lounge, just a handful? A football thread, a baseball thread, a hockey thread, etc, etc... I just dont see the immediate need for a forum only for sports.

I lurk on a site that covers many of the things you listed: Gaming, Sports, Movies and Television, Athletics, and all sorts of cool techie computer shit. Basically everything minus the gambling. If you like, I'll give you the address to look at and post at if you like. Maybe watch the forums there and see how their sports forums barely survive. I rarely see a topic on gaming or gambling, maybe I've just missed the "ton" of posts on the matter. :\

Im only on the 1st page of this thread, so maybe this has ben brought up already but ill comment on it anyway cuz i forget tp later.......

Anyways.... what about the people who DONT USE DRUGS(like me) but are very active on the Community forums. Ive yet to find another site w/ the open mindedness and one that covers an array of subjects like BL does.

So is BL taking saying that since i dont have intrest in discussing stuff i dont use....That i shouldnt belong. OR that i dont have any say?

My point is that i think its good that BL isnt soley centered around drugs. Yes......It was drugs that brought me here in the first place but its not what is keeping me coming here.....

I see nothing wrong w/ expanding BL to some non-drug forums. I understand that BL is a harm reduction site and i think thats great but shouldnt BL have more to offer than drug info? NOw i do understand that there are already quite of a few non drug related forms already. But whats the prob w/ adding somemore?

FoxyKel said:
Are there enough current threads to warrant it, though? It might be worth your while to compile a list of threads that have been active in the past 14 days that would fall into the category.

It is unlikely that a new forum will be created because of the threads that could be started on the subject matter, they are generally created because of the topics that are or have been.

I'd be interested to see how many are out there, because S/O and the Lounge would be the two places I would most expect them to be started, and I've barely seen any in S/O.

Take the College & University foruim for example......Im sure there were as many threads as say sports related stuff but since a forum was dedicated to it, it has encouraged more people to post about it.....

There are probably 5-10 sports/gambling threads that could get moved from aus social to this new forum. I don't really mind either way .. I don't see a huge need for it, but then again, if it was made, it would probably thrive. I'm happy with the current setup, its not like sports topics are unwanted by other forum mods or anything ..

JTNOLA5211 said:
Take the College & University foruim for example......Im sure there were as many threads as say sports related stuff but since a forum was dedicated to it, it has encouraged more people to post about it.....

... and if you created a forum about how regularly people take a shit, it would probably encourage people to post about their bowel movements - what's your point?

It doesn't matter what you create a forum about, it will encourage people to post on that topic... the question is whether or not a forum on this topic is one which the adminstrators think will benefit the forums as a whole and whether they particularly want to encourage people to post more threads in relation to that topic.

Last edited:
^^take that with the knowledge that there is no set direction among the staff. Some want more 'community forums', others want less of them or at least a more re-focued approach to the drug side. I can't say which side is in the majority or the minority - simply that both sides of this directional desire exist among the staff as well as it does among the members.

You may have noticed the majority of forum changes over the past several months have been more of a suprise than a publicly announced transition. This is the result of the Admins guiding the forum offerings in the direction they see best benefitting the site. They state that they take into consideration the amount of threads on a certan topic and weight that against the desired purpose of BL and make decisions on what forums to add or not - so the message is to have more threads on a topic if you hope to generate a forum for it.

Show the need, and if it fits our direction, it will be met. But that is subject to the Admin's direction, which we aren' always privy to.

---

My own personal opinion? Most of these new requests are better answered by other sites or by the current forums. Would the Canadiens really care less about Aussie Football? Do the Europeans care at all about the NFL or the NBA? Sports are probably best left to their own current regional discussions. Liesure as well, since who in South America really plans on backpacking Europe or skiiing in Colorado? Again, those types of discussions can best be addressed regionally, and people who actually anticipate *travelling* to somewhere can post in those regional discussions for more info. As for gambling....I've not seen much of it in the forums I frequent. Perhaps there is a need, but it isn't glaringly obvious. But take all this with a grain of salt as well, since it is only the opinion of one man.

FoxyKel said:
... and if you created a forum about how regularly people take a shit, it would probably encourage people to post about their bowel movements - what's your point?

lol......reread the post i quoted...yours...Im responding to u...

You said that they are not enough threads to warrant a new forum......I responded that there are about the same amount before the C&U forum was started....And it got a new forum.....

And calm down, im just presenting a case.....Not attacking u personally......Unless this new forum somehow affects u....I dunno, chill:)

TheLoveBandit said:
^^take that with the knowledge that there is no set direction among the staff. Some want more 'community forums', others want less of them or at least a more re-focued approach to the drug side. I can't say which side is in the majority or the minority - simply that both sides of this directional desire exist among the staff as well as it does among the members.

You may have noticed the majority of forum changes over the past several months have been more of a suprise than a publicly announced transition. This is the result of the Admins guiding the forum offerings in the direction they see best benefitting the site. They state that they take into consideration the amount of threads on a certan topic and weight that against the desired purpose of BL and make decisions on what forums to add or not - so the message is to have more threads on a topic if you hope to generate a forum for it.

Show the need, and if it fits our direction, it will be met. But that is subject to the Admin's direction, which we aren' always privy to.

---

My own personal opinion? Most of these new requests are better answered by other sites or by the current forums. Would the Canadiens really care less about Aussie Football? Do the Europeans care at all about the NFL or the NBA? Sports are probably best left to their own current regional discussions. Liesure as well, since who in South America really plans on backpacking Europe or skiiing in Colorado? Again, those types of discussions can best be addressed regionally, and people who actually anticipate *travelling* to somewhere can post in those regional discussions for more info. As for gambling....I've not seen much of it in the forums I frequent. Perhaps there is a need, but it isn't glaringly obvious. But take all this with a grain of salt as well, since it is only the opinion of one man.

Finally, a voice of reason in this thread. :) And although you're not necessarily for my proposal, TLB, I can respect everything which you've just said.

Originally posted by JTNOLA5211
lol......reread the post i quoted...yours...Im responding to u...

You said that they are not enough threads to warrant a new forum......I responded that there are about the same amount before the C&U forum was started....And it got a new forum.....

And calm down, im just presenting a case.....Not attacking u personally......Unless this new forum somehow affects u....I dunno, chill:)

I was just making a point that no matter what topic you create a forum on, it will encourage people to post on that topic - I wasn't un-chilled in the slightest, I'm sorry that my mentioning feces gave you the impression that I was ;)

alasdairm said:
...but my bet is that if you added sports, it would quickly rise to the top 5 in traffic almost overnight.

perhaps. but two points:

1. it's not your bet. they're not your dice to roll.

Disclaimer- alasdair, we dont always agree but ive never had an issue with u so please dont be offended by my response. your argument, which can be rephrased "its mine, so fuck you ill do what i want" does not actually promote much discussion. everyone agrees tha the admins can do what they want, ppl debate what they think i the admins should do hoping that the admins want to do what is best fpr the site and that they do actually listen, even though they pretend not to.

iso240 said:
Aren't you the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" guy? Is there a NEED for a leisure activities forum? But the real reason I'm commenting here is to say that we mods "who want nothing but drug forums" are not afraid that the sports forum will be "too successful," we're afraid that this entire site is going to continue "diversifying" to the point at which harm reduction and drugs are more of a sub-focus than a "mission" around here (assuming it's not already there).

First, I havent had much contact with you but i still am not trying to offend you.

i really dont have a stick in this fight as i was only throwing in my .02. I like sports so sure, id post in a sports forum but i dont care that much either way. Second, you actually make valid points which are hidden behind your not so veiled insults. However, adding forums is not the same as adding policemen (and like it or not, the mods, and especially the supermods are the bl policemen).

Still, i never thought about the community vs drug forum issue and i can definitely see the point.

Disclaimer- alasdair, we dont always agree but ive never had an issue with u so please dont be offended by my response. your argument, which can be rephrased "its mine, so fuck you ill do what i want" does not actually promote much discussion. everyone agrees tha the admins can do what they want, ppl debate what they think i the admins should do hoping that the admins want to do what is best fpr the site and that they do actually listen, even though they pretend not to.

i'm not offended in the slightest and i value the discussion more than you may think.

please don't assume that i disagree with you - i actually have a lot of sympathy with your position. there's a large element of playing the devil's advocate in what i'm saying.

alasdair