• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Benzos Splitting Xanax XR

No, you cannot split any time-released pill. If the pill doesn't have a line through (in other words, it's scored) you should not even think about splitting it.
I'm not sure what you mean. There are many different time release mechanisms in extended release pills which can easily be defeated.

I'm not sure what perspective you're speaking from here. This website is typically about drug abuse and not following the exact instructions on a xanax XR pill bottle.

There's nothing inherently wrong or invalid with splitting a pill in half.

As others have said, this should not be a problem. In general, pills are homogenous and can be broken down, in theory, to any fraction. There are no hotspots.

So yes, your pharmacist is wrong. You can split the pill and you shouldn't have any problems.
That is absolutely wrong. If the pill is not scored, you are not supposed to split it.

You should listen to your Pharmacist.Cause as a Pharmacist, I know that, Doctors don't have any idea about these formulations of medication, how do they work...... After-all,take professional advice, but not online.
You are correct. Time-released pills are not supposed to be split.

You should listen to your Pharmacist.Cause as a Pharmacist, I know that, Doctors don't have any idea about these formulations of medication, how do they work...... After-all,take professional advice, but not online.
Your doctor is dead wrong.

You absolutely cannot split ANY time-release pill. Those pills were engineered to last a long time, so they have much more xanax then the immediate-release ones. If you split xanax xr you will be taking much more xanax then you think. I just came back from rehab because I was cutting a 0.5 pill in 4. I thought I was being conservative but I was actually taking a lot of xanax. Everytime I tried to stop I had horrendous withdrawal symptoms. Please don't do that.
thats just utter nonsense.... the pills have the exact same amount of it, just absorbs more slowly.... yes, alprazolam wd´s are hell and can be deadly but dont spread nonsense if u dont understand how XR meds works...

That is absolutely wrong. If the pill is not scored, you are not supposed to split it.

Source, proving me dead wrong? I'm not saying prove "a pill shouldn't be split if not scored", I'm asking you to prove my specific statement wrong regarding the homogeneity of a pill's composition. I'm pretty sure my statement is accurate, but I'll accept my mistake if I've made one. Let me know.

To design a pill with so-called "hot spots" in composition would, in fact, be a more difficult process than to design a pill with a homogenous composition. From a logical, mathematical basis, there is no reason or cause for a pill to have these "hot spots".

I was very recently scripted Xanax Extended-Release 2mg, and I fairly often break them in half, or even slightly smaller pieces.

I only bumped to add what I consider a likely contribution to the thread.

I find that splitting a dose into several small pieces, or even a powder (whether it's a quarter of a pill or entire one) seems to speed the onset a bit, by maybe 30-50% if I had to take a stab at it. I think this makes sense because in doing so you're increasing the surface area. It's not a huge difference and it doesn't change the duration of the experience compared to eating them,

The extended release mecahnism remains, you just get a somewhat quicker onset.

There is also litereate that say eating a small fatty meal 2 hours before dosing increases cmax by 25%. In 1/3 or volunteers, eathing right after dosing had decreased cmax by I wanna say 30% (but definitely fact that, and this one) and volunteers who ate an hour after ingestion had increased cmax by 30%.

Super interesting formulation of alprazolam, and AFAIK, then its the only benzodiazapene that is so significantly affected (time dependently) by ingestion of fatty foods.

I was very recently scripted Xanax Extended-Release 2mg, and I fairly often break them in half, or even slightly smaller pieces.

I only bumped to add what I consider a likely contribution to the thread.

I find that splitting a dose into several small pieces, or even a powder (whether it's a quarter of a pill or entire one) seems to speed the onset a bit, by maybe 30-50% if I had to take a stab at it. I think this makes sense because in doing so you're increasing the surface area. It's not a huge difference and it doesn't change the duration of the experience compared to eating them,

The extended release mecahnism remains, you just get a somewhat quicker onset.

There is also litereate that say eating a small fatty meal 2 hours before dosing increases cmax by 25%. In 1/3 or volunteers, eathing right after dosing had decreased cmax by I wanna say 30% (but definitely fact that, and this one) and volunteers who ate an hour after ingestion had increased cmax by 30%.

Super interesting formulation of alprazolam, and AFAIK, then its the only benzodiazapene that is so significantly affected (time dependently) by ingestion of fatty foods.

Good information. A small, but relevant addition:

Breaking an extended release tablet into smaller pieces doesn't defeat the time-release mechanism of the pill per se. However, smaller pieces are going to be dissolved more quickly just due to their smaller mass. So, in theory, the more or rather the smaller you break up a time-release tablet is going to reduce the onset/duration accordingly until the mechanism is completely defeated i.e. the tablet is in powder form. Not to overload with bullshit, but many time-release tablets that seem to be pulverized completely have been demonstrated to still retain up to 20% of this mechanism.