• ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Television Spartacus

dont think i could watch it without Andy whitfield,

didnt realize he was dead until a few days ago, such a shame

My favourite show in a long time by far :D !!! Sad about Andy Whitfield the new guy doesn't play the role very well imo.

On a brighter note, 50 posts woopwoop.

I definitely agree with the sentiment that the new Spartacus is nowhere near as good as Whitfield was. I'm not just flattering the dead here, but when Whitfield's Spartacus said "Kill them all!" I wanted to jump in the fucking screen and kill them all. The new Spartacus just doesn't have that feel, where you can see him being a leader of a crazy fucking doomed group of killer former slaves. He looks soft in the eyes, where Whitfield was all heart all the time. That said, McIntyre could be worse and it is excusable considering the circumstances. Provided the new lead wasn't unbearably awful, I was prepared to let my minor gripes go and remain positive, so it's all good for me. Naevea was the big what the fuck to me. They should have just killed the character off if she wasn't absolutely essential to the show (she wasn't, only historically important characters are), although her last scene with Ashur was pretty cool.

For a while I was hoping that in honor of Andy they would cast a different Spartacus every year. It would be pretty cool to have a different actor in every phase of the show, casting the guy that best captures Spartacus during each period.

I honestly wasn't sure how much I would miss the old Spartacus, but after this season I realize in general how good the acting and writing are on this show. Despite the flaws with the lead, I was still engrossed and engaged the entire time, still picking factions that I liked and developing emotional attachments to characters.

This show strikes the perfect balance between B-movie sex and violence combined with genuinely well done plots and actors. Usually the two are mutually exclusive, as more often than not sex and violence in the levels we see them done in Spartacus are either methods of covering up glaring flaws, or are done by directors who want to bring people some kind of realistic (read: extra gritty) portrait of the world, which ends up being so depressing it is unbearable to watch on a weekly basis (imagine Aronofsky directing the scenes in this show where slaves are forced into non-consensual sex. Not a pleasant thought, right?). Somehow they manage the non-consensual slave sex scenes in such a way that I know it is disturbing, yet I'm not disturbed to the point of suicidal depression. And yet when I should get pumped up as Spartacus tears apart his dominus' ludus or tears down an entire fucking arena bursting with Roman citizens committing the mortal sin of worshiping blood sport, I am pumped the fuck up. Major props to the show, it knows how to engage without taking itself too seriously.

Fucking loved this. best thing ive seen for ages. finished season 1

fave bit has gotta be when Spartacus and Crixus vs. Theokoles.... legendary

or when he beats those guys and at the end of the ep he shouts " I am spartacus "... awesome