• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

South Korea Drug Discussion

I actually for a little trip around that part of the world not to long ago, and it was really interesting to see how different these attitudes are towards drugs. In south Korea and Japan there is very little drug use (from what I could determine anyway). Whenever I met locals and came across this topic I was suprised to find that almost none had even tried pot. Even young nationals who had done a lot of traveling and what not. And as psy said the drinking culture is huge! I remember seeing this guy in full business dress lying on the ground having a little rest at like 9 at night. Haha, no one was really concerned or too shocked. Beautiful countries, but very few drugs

Totally true - i used to live in Japan. You can pass out and lay on the street and nobody will worry too much-especially not the police. They rarely get involved in anything in Japan unless told so by their superiors. I remember browsing past a police car at 140km/h in an 80 zone and they didn't chase me.....they couldn't give a fuck. And except for the airport they wont bust anybody for drugs unless you involved some poor little girl and she became all fucked up and told somebody (some English teachers got big jail terms for smoking pot with students and being busted) So enforcement is REALLY lax but if they DO fuck you, you're going in the slammer.

In south Korea and Japan there is very little drug use (from what I could determine anyway). Whenever I met locals and came across this topic I was suprised to find that almost none had even tried pot. Even young nationals who had done a lot of traveling and what not.

I would have to dispute this, at least as far as younger Japanese travellers go. My observations of Japanese backpackers in SE Asia and India is that when they discover drugs are freely available, many of them get on it big time 8o, and they fucking love it too (generalising a little here of course!). Completely drugfaced Japanese backpackers are a common sight in certain tourist ghettos in India. I think this partially explains the popularity of headshops and weed themed clothing and accessories you see around Tokyo. In my experience, Japanese tourists are surprisingly adventurous and usually up for trying new things. Koreans don't seem to be into independent travel as much, I don't think I've ever met a Korean hippie backpacker.

i went to the red light district for...uhm reasons. but i also asked the chick if she had any coke and she looked at me like i was crazy. i think koreans are pretty lax on certain moral ambiguities but drugs are a big no no. but she might have thought i was a cop.. but then i'm a white fat dude so may be not

Koreans don't seem to be into independent travel as much, I don't think I've ever met a Korean hippie backpacker.
I've met a few Korean independent travelers in Australia but not so much else where. Definitely don't seem as nuts as the Japanese, really kind and generous though. They are welcome to come and cook for me again anytime.

Hey it seems like I am here wayyy too late. I am Korean, have been studying in both US and Aus for about 10 years now. Currently I am a attending university in USA. I remember being young, before coming to 'western' part of the world, drug was some kind of evil thing. That's just how I was educated. I remember everyone around me told drug is a horrible thing that will almost certainly ruin your life when the idea came up to discussion. Indeed, I would agree to the opinion that most South Koreans are almost brainwashed about the idea of drugs. I would say most of them know weed stays in the lower side of scale though.

First time I came through a drug other than alcohol or cigarette, which is very common in Korea, was in Thailand. I visited my friend that I meet in US and his sister offered me to smoke a joint with her. It was way easier of a decision to make than I thought it would be. I said yes almost instantaneously after asking how it feels. I remember she said 'you will just laugh a lot', and who the hell doesn't like to laugh! So I have a first shot to marijuana. I didn't feel anything that time. Maybe it's just a first time thing. What I am trying to say here is there is curiosity in most of Korean peoples mind even though they seem to reject the idea because society's atmosphere is very uptight about it. Now, I have enjoyed many other drugs beside marijuana; LSD, 1-P LSD, shrooms, cock, xanax, benzos, opium, kratom, DMT, MDMA. So just wanted to let you guys know that there are some Koreans like me out there too! So let's be closer and be friends. Peace and love to all of you guys. :D

hey dude, thanks for the input from a Korean perspective. I find it interesting understand the ideals some cultures have on said vices, such as drugs. i have had korean friends ans find them quite westernized in a sense, or at least eager to integrate and understand another culture well. therefore, they are usually open to mind expansion and altered perspectives.worldly, in a a sense.

were you told about the dangers of drugs at school by teachers?

Thank you for finding my story interesting! :) Yes. Teachers definitely tell us how bad it is. Hell, they use to smack kids getting caught smoking a cig! They are very serious about educating children 'right'. But it's mostly the society that is among us constantly telling us that it's seriously bad. Think about being around with people that has very limited perspective about drugs. There's is no friend or anyone to tell you about benefits of the substance.

Most interesting part of my drug experience that correlates with my identity as an easterner is LSD. I feel like I had to break a fear that is innate in my mind about drug for not to have a bad trip. I would get caught up into infinite loops with the idea about drugs that I was told since I was young inside my head. It was a fear and insanity. It was a hard trip, but after a point I learned that it is those ideas that made me and started to admit it as my identity. Then a trip got easier and after certain point I felt like I reached nirvana. All senses being together. Just being there. It was a glorious moment. Being a doubtful Buddhist, I always pondered about the idea of reaching nirvana. After that trip, I am the luckiest person alive. ;D

hello from seoul! from my experience, everything that's been said about how koreans are brainwashed about drugs is true. i remember hearding a couple years back of a couple people getting caught in Itaewon smoking a little pot and they received some rediculous jail times.
but after being in the usa for years and coming here, it's crazy how different the culture is. im not much of a drinker so it'll be a challenge to see how i can enjoy my 'relax time' as i enjoyed my little blue friends back home pretty often... but i have a feeling it's going to be close to impossible to find them here.

Now, I have enjoyed many other drugs beside marijuana; LSD, 1-P LSD, shrooms, cock, xanax, benzos, opium, kratom, DMT, MDMA. So just wanted to let you guys know that there are some Koreans like me out there too! So let's be closer and be friends. Peace and love to all of you guys. :D

I didnt know that "cock" was a drug ?

Foreal though, I think it's pretty stupid how drugs are seen with such cultural tabboo when alcolism in Korea is rampant. Alcohol is just as if not more damaging to society as opiods and other narcotics.

Don't be wondering around Itaewon and look for it. u won't find any. In korea, it is fairly easy to obtain Tramadol as u mentioned and also they are easy with Benzo's ( My dad is doc in Jeju.)

yoooo good to see fellow korean! I'm just like u too hahaha been studying in States for 10 years!

yoooo good to see fellow korean! I'm just like u too hahaha been studying in States for 10 years!

I didnt know that "cock" was a drug ��

Foreal though, I think it's pretty stupid how drugs are seen with such cultural tabboo when alcolism in Korea is rampant. Alcohol is just as if not more damaging to society as opiods and other narcotics.

U are very right....in some places in the world, they take as certain substance as more genuine than other substance...korea being easy on the alcohol, but i think things were little different before Jeon Du Hwan's Military government regime changed lots of perspective. My dad is doctor so he was able to obtain drug of choice fairly easily ( IV Nubain user for 17 years!! thankfully he dropped the habit when i was in my teens) and he told me stories that my grand father and other grandpas used to have poppy pods always in hand. Good example is North Korea. They were able to keep lots of tradition whether its drug or any other culture and they still uses opium poppy when in need of emergency or recreation, while South changed and accepted westernized culture which includes prohibition of other substances...most of my friend in korea still thinks that there isn't too much different between Weed and Methamphetamine....total wrong way of education on drugs..

In the Philippines they had banned almost opiates, even for cancer patients. You couldn't get codeine even. They were giving terminally ill patients NSAIDs for godsake. They had a very short lived synthetic opiate, can't recall its name but from reports its suggested that panadol was more effective. It was only fairly recently that the laws were relaxed. Apparently you can get methadone these days even.

I really must be a rare creature -- and accordingly, get to meet very rare creatures like myself :D

I have met several drug-using South Koreans in my native homeland of Canada. Two were in Toronto, and both were opiate users; one casual [just a young guy trying to be gangsta, really, though I'm sure he enjoyed the OC high! hehe] and one hardcore junky, one of the most hardcore I've met, who IV'ed heroin and hydromorphone which she got prescribed from a Korean doctor [she claimed through her parents networking; I think she might've sucked his dick as an incentive LOL]. BTW, hydromorphone is the main opiate in Canada, it's the heroin of Canada, which is its biggest consumer globally as well. But heroin is common enough in Toronto and Vancouver, and to a very minimal degree in Montreal, and all those 3 cities "commute cities".

Third, I met a third drug using South Korean in the town I was studying -- Halifax. At first, he seemed wary of drug use, and remarked how screwed up it was that all the people -- including the chefs -- that the kitchen we worked smoked weed, like a LOT of weed. I kind of agreed with him [at the time I was staying sober], but said Hey, that's Canada for you. [which is true, the stereotypes are, yes, true, LOL!] In the end, he ended up not only trying weed, but buying it regularly. The he got a giant tattoo of the world map covering his entire upper back to commemorate his journey around the world. NOT KIDDING!

Ha! Besides those 3, I've met like 10 Chinese stoners in the same city. They smoked HUGE amounts, I think they were actually addicted, but they still got through school, albeit with a small courseload [3 courses per term] which no doubt worried their poor parents. As much as I think the East Asian attitude is excessively authoritarian and draconian, I understand the emigrant, i.e. non-Western attitude, the NEED to succeed, since my folks are immigrants to Canada, and the possibility I'd flunk out of school and use hard drugs never even crossed their mind until they found out too late. so I understand the motivation for that "blind" attitude. WW2 really screwed up a lot of places, Korea is one of them. Survival obsession.

Finally, I met a Japenese stoner in Halifax. He was also excessive in his use [like, even by Canadian standards, probably letting loose before re-entering the Dungeon of Sobriety that is East Asia], treating it almost like a narcotic, but that the same time the pot's inevitable hallucinogenic effects did open his mind right up, and we had amazing, lengthy, philosophical discussions about East-meets-West culture, globalization, the end of the world, the difference between our familial cultures, etc. It ws really fun meeting these rare East Asian stoners and being able to telepathically commune with them via the World Herb.

I wrote a bunch about my time in China and the very prevalent drug use there, but that info can 1) be found elsewhere and b) fill up this msg too much. I'll leave it at the "mind-warped" East Asians I've met in Canada. If we're going beyond East East, I've also met a crack-smokin' Filipino in East Canada. He was not a crackhead, but he did steal 40 bucks from me to buy crack. So I guess... a non-obvious addict? [I am also totally not obviously an addict, no one would think it! Comes in handy! But I think it's karma! I commit to a cause beyond the poppy, my brothas! For example: he was a pro-level skater and breakdancer, and I'm a musician and wannabe writer! So there, drug fiend god!]

Last edited:
a lot of the mafia members in japan are originally from Korea, Japan does have a drug scene they just tend to keep it pretty quiet, they have everything there.

Isn't ketamine fairly common in a few of the Asian countries? I think it may have been Singapore(you'd have to be crazy to use anything there!)