Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

South Korea Drug Discussion

shaggyneedsgrub

Greenlighter
Hey all. I know this isn't really all too happening of a forum for expats or even natives in Asian countries, seems mostly Ausie and Kiwi folk here, but since there's no other place on BL that seems to be for those in the specifically Asian region (pretty broad!) I figured I'd start since I'm hoping to do a bit of networking anyways.

So for any and all discussion pertaining to South Korea, feel free to post here. I'll probably try and keep this thread going with news and whatnot, but considering the uber conservative and near-draconian attitude both legally and culturally here, I can't imagine much traffic.

I suppose that's my point though, there are certainly foreigners, expats and even English speaking Koreans that use this site, lurk, or even post. I'm hoping that fellow South K'ers will spot the thread and pop in for a hello. Considering the size of the country, the huge number of expats/english speakers here and the socially uptight attitude, there has to be some others feeling the way I feel, i.e. way too sober. Here's a place we can chat, vent or discuss whatever.

No need to flame for relevancy, I'm aware of the amount of traffic this thread will get and it may soon be buried, but can't blame a fellow for trying.

all i know is south korean girls are lovely

my gfs from south korea.. South koreans dont like drugs, definately not your country for it

about 15 years ago I met a few Koreans in Cairns, they had never tried any type of drugs so in my wisdom I gave them some acid. After about 3 hours things went pear shaped with them climbing all over the unit they were living in and generally running amok lol.

Very very nice people

^ lol.. Sounds pretty crazy.

If this thread was 'Asian Drug Discussion' I could contribute some Asian drug busts and Asian drug related articles into it sometime and help keep it active. Just an idea.

Be careful, I remember reading a story of expats in South Korea getting caught with hash and being sent to a stupendous prison term.

Most drugs in South Korea are imported by US GIs or grown by GIs hydroponically. SOme hard drugs come in from North Korea-that's it. Small market.

Hi Psytrancernz and welcome to the board.

I'd be interested to hear about how things are there. I've met lots of South Koreans (here in Australia) and they generally have a very conservative attitude towards drug use, as far as I could gather. To most of them it seems that "drug" means "illicit substance" and while alcohol is considered an acceptable part of Korean gatherings (and actually not a "drug" at all), other stuff is seen as dangerous and not acceptable. Also, something which comes from the doctor is not a "drug".

Some young dudes I talked to once seemed convinced that marijuana was deadly hardcore stuff which could make you 'crazy' and was best avoided at all costs. Their ideas about it reminded me a bit of the old Reefer Madness hysteria/hilarity. They also didn't seem to make any distinction between 'soft and hard' drugs - to them heroin and weed were equally too hot to handle. I'm sure that some people there are into drugs, but from what I understand it is very much an underground thing and not cool or fashionable.

Any anecdotes would be appreciated!

Hey there mate,

What you have stated is entirely true regarding drug use in South Korea. I find it very interesting that a whole country could be brainwashed the way this one is. Let me start with the drinking culture... Now coming from NZ, I thought we had a bad drinking culture but here people drink 'soju' as we would drink beer except soju is around 20% alcohol content. It is not unusually to see to see men sitting down with there families and drinking around 5 bottles (the equivalent of around 20 beers) over just a normal week night dinner. It is appauling and I guess it is why you see so many drunk out of their minds people around. I guess it also goes hand in hand with the high domestic violence rates etc in this country. Other alcoholic beverages such a makgeoli (rice wine) is in fact seen as a 'health drink' even though it goes at around 7% alcohol.

When it comes to 'other' substances this country is extremely harsh. You are lucky if you just get deported for anything related to THC. Medicines even containing things like 'dextromethorphan' are even really hard to come by. They also only hand out prescriptions for 3 days at a time here meaning that if you get sick and need a week long course of antibiotics you need to go back to the doctor (no matter how sick you are) and get your pills for the next three days. However in saying this I went to the doctor with a semi sore ear and came out with around 600mg of tramadol and was offered a morpheine injection (which i declined as I was in little pain). This would not be seen as narcotics or of any danger to the country because a 'doctor' prescribed it hehe. The only other thing apart from alcohol that you can easily get your hands on here with no chance of punishment is nitrous oxide in the form of cream chargers...

Of course as with most countries you could get anything if you searched hard enough and yes there is a culture here for it in the bigger cities (I live in the country). But the reality is its a harsh country when it comes to laws... I am happy with or without substances and would not risk my job or living in this great place. But it definitely is interesting watching the culture here and yes it is VERY similar to reefer madness hehe...

Hope that shed some light!

Each cultures view on cannabis amazes me, I thought we had it rough not being able to grow it. But then in another country you could be executed for trafficking.

Then you've got others that have had it decriminalised for ages.

Is there any other things that cultures use that have such a wide spectrum of acceptance?

Cheers for the insight psytrancernz.

Awesome post psytrancernz, really interesting insight.

Given that you indicate prescription opioids are given out fairly liberally, do you know if that translates into people using prescription pills recreationally or selling them to friends? Or do people still see it as medicine that only the patient should take?

From my fairly uninformed position it does seem that alcohol abuse correlates with more restrictive drug laws, which I suppose isn't surprising - people love altering their consciousness. Of all the options, it's a pity that history has meant something as relatively toxic as alcohol is so widespread as our socially acceptable 'non drug' of choice.

Hopefully the OP shaggyneedsgrub comes back to see someone else in Sth Korea has replied!

ahhh wow. Took a week off from here assuming it was dead but nice to see some actual discussion going on!

Cool.

Yeah psy pretty much hit the nail on the head. I personally am not much of a drinker, I find it to be more socially disruptive than drugs for reasons I don't think I need to explain to anyone here. Case in point, how many driving related deaths are related to something like booze as opposed to thc? Random bar violence? Domestic abuse? I think it's a matter of the country's generally conservative attitude but at the same time it's not the type of conservative attitude that would be comprehensible in America. An example is that drinking is perfectly acceptable socially and it is one of the plastic surgery capitals of the world and yet something as harmless as marijuana is seen as to be as bad as some opiates.

and also, in response to foot, opiates are actually difficult to obtain, I'm surprised a morpheine shot was actually offered. I would have taken it! But tramadol is relatively easy to get, a synthetic opioid, so that's my sort of DOC here at the moment. It's kind of lame but not too bad for a chill buzz at home. I much prefer something pharmaceutical or herbal to alcohol so that's the boat I'm in.

I actually for a little trip around that part of the world not to long ago, and it was really interesting to see how different these attitudes are towards drugs. In south Korea and Japan there is very little drug use (from what I could determine anyway). Whenever I met locals and came across this topic I was suprised to find that almost none had even tried pot. Even young nationals who had done a lot of traveling and what not. And as psy said the drinking culture is huge! I remember seeing this guy in full business dress lying on the ground having a little rest at like 9 at night. Haha, no one was really concerned or too shocked. Beautiful countries, but very few drugs

Yeah it is a lovely country. I am happy that you found some tramadol shaggy. Definitely makes for a peaceful day walking around the hills when there is nothing much else to do hehe.

Footscrazy- I kind of get the feeling that shaggy and I are some of the only few that probably take tramadol/any opiates for their recreational purposes here. ALTHOUGH i went to a party last weekend and there was supposedly lsd, 2cb, ghb and ritalin going around. This was in Seoul. I however stayed away from this because I feel the risks in this country are far too high to dabble. All of the people using where also foreigners.

:)

ahhh wow. Took a week off from here assuming it was dead but nice to see some actual discussion going on!

Cool.

Yeah psy pretty much hit the nail on the head. I personally am not much of a drinker, I find it to be more socially disruptive than drugs for reasons I don't think I need to explain to anyone here. Case in point, how many driving related deaths are related to something like booze as opposed to thc? Random bar violence? Domestic abuse? I think it's a matter of the country's generally conservative attitude but at the same time it's not the type of conservative attitude that would be comprehensible in America. An example is that drinking is perfectly acceptable socially and it is one of the plastic surgery capitals of the world and yet something as harmless as marijuana is seen as to be as bad as some opiates.

and also, in response to foot, opiates are actually difficult to obtain, I'm surprised a morpheine shot was actually offered. I would have taken it! But tramadol is relatively easy to get, a synthetic opioid, so that's my sort of DOC here at the moment. It's kind of lame but not too bad for a chill buzz at home. I much prefer something pharmaceutical or herbal to alcohol so that's the boat I'm in.

Hey dude, don't disrespect opioids!! They are way more addictive than cannabis - I'll agree on that, but they also have way less other side effects psychologically. When I smoked weed I used to be a schizophrenic wreck...paranoid, nuts. On opioids, just cravings if I overdo it.