• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Soooo what's the story with antihistamines and meth?

Kara7490

Bluelighter
Okay I've been going over posts both here and lengthy articles filled with medical jargon. I know histamine can be released from different areas of the brain and body, etc. I'm trying to figure out if meth causes a release of any of these histamines. I've read something about first generation antihistamines versus, well the rest. So do antihistamines potentiate meth? Or do they decrease it's effect? and which generation of antihistamines?

On a somewhat related note, I've been looking into modafinils neuroprotective properties of meth use. And I do know that moda causes a histamine release, particularly in the brain, theoretically causing wakefulness, and the anectotal "cognitive enhancement" some people swear by (hey, you do you).

But I can't seem to get meth's role in histamine straight. I'm not talking about seasonal type of allergies role. I'm trying to figure out what it does to the histamine levels in the brain, and then of course the role of antihistamines. Someone please explain this to me like I'm five.

Are you sure it's not rather opioids which release significant amounts of histamine?

Promethazine does, in my experience, not anything to sedate you or calm you down when on meth. Doesn't seem to lessen the effects of meth in the slightest.

Doing some reading I found that they can potentiate the effects of meth by their effects causing a higher plasma level of meth in the bloodstream.