• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Opioids Some question about Tramadol WD

riora69

Bluelighter
Hello! I'll post a new thread if that's okay.

I mentioned in my older post that I have been addicted to tramadol for about five years. In the last 2-3 years, I used larger doses for longer periods of time.
For example, around 1000 mg for 4-6 months, but in many cases I exceeded the dose of 1500-2000 mg in one day. It was a secret addiction and I always thought I could control it. This is the fifth time I've been in rough, hellish cold turkey.
This week I told everything honestly to my wife and my mom because I can't deal with this alone, then I went to a psychiatrist and told him everything. I'm very relieved, but I can't be happy about it.

Unfortunately, I already know the process of withdrawal well, but with every major withdrawal so far, I have noticed that it doesn't matter whether I took it for 3 months or six months, it lasts roughly the same amount of time. Why is this so? I've been using it for less than two months now and only went up to around 1000mg in the last 3 weeks.
Of course, I don't sleep, but if I use it for only 3 weeks, I don't have insomnia. My doctor does not prescribe any medicine because we agreed that I should not accidentally abuse it. Also, I start psychotherapy on Thursday. On the one hand, I'm very proud because I've never been honest about my addiction to others, and on the other hand, I'm afraid that even though I've been taking it for less than two months, I won't be able to sleep for two weeks either. Is it possible that it will be so? Right now I don't have brainzap and I don't sweat and I'm already on my fourth day and I jumped from 700 mg. No RLS at the moment either. Maybe I got away with it? This is normal? Until now, these symptoms were always present. My question is, what is your experience with the duration, and what could help you sleep without medication? because I'm struggling with this right now, maybe if I've had 3-4 hours of sleep in the last 4 days.
Any experience or advice would be a huge help.

For the first time in my life, I dared to ask for help and accept this addiction.

Thanks and sorry for my bad English.

Unfortunately, I already know the process of withdrawal well, but with every major withdrawal so far, I have noticed that it doesn't matter whether I took it for 3 months or six months, it lasts roughly the same amount of time. Why is this so?

That is a case with many drugs, for many drugs users after they already had serious addiction with given substance in past.

If I was you I would get some SSRI (to eliminate that part of WD’s as you were taking rather extreme doses at which SSRI effects of tramadol are probably rather strong) and something for insomnia. And as with anything, try to not replace one addiction with another.

That is a case with many drugs, for many drugs users after they already had serious addiction with given substance in past.

If I was you I would get some SSRI (to eliminate that part of WD’s as you were taking rather extreme doses at which SSRI effects of tramadol are probably rather strong) and something for insomnia. And as with anything, try to not replace one addiction with another.
Hi! Unfortunately now the comfort meds are not awailable, and I know it would help, but I really have to go through this cold turkey.

I didn't mention that I had my first gm seizure after five years. this has not happened so far no matter how much I used or how hard the WD was. Do you think there is a chance of another seizure during the WD?

Very slim and you don’t have to worry about that at all if I understood correctly you are are 4 days off the tramadol.

Nothing wrong with cold turkey or fast tapper for all who can handle it BUT limitations being – avoiding prolonged time of significantly impaired basic bodily functions, mainly don’t allow extremely long time without sleep, prolonged vomiting and/or diarrhoea etc….as things like that potentially can fuck you more than drugging itself… Treating serious WD symptoms is not cheating and wont prolong your recovery rather shorten it and make prosperity of staying clean bigger. Otherwise you're all good.

Very slim and you don’t have to worry about that at all if I understood correctly you are are 4 days off the tramadol.

Nothing wrong with cold turkey or fast tapper for all who can handle it BUT limitations being – avoiding prolonged time of significantly impaired basic bodily functions, mainly don’t allow extremely long time without sleep, prolonged vomiting and/or diarrhoea etc….as things like that potentially can fuck you more than drugging itself… Treating serious WD symptoms is not cheating and wont prolong your recovery rather shorten it and make prosperity of staying clean bigger. Otherwise you're all good.
if it weren't for insomnia, going cold turkey would be child's play for me after few days. I can handle everything else well, but staying awake for weeks is difficult. the last time I was able to sleep was after the 14th day. it's all very bad :(

Staying awake for weeks is dangerous, not only difficult. And there isn’t drug WD that isn’t vastly more durable if you get few hours of sleep and give a bit of rest to mind and body.

If you don’t get any sleep in days to come, get at least something OTC for sleep, mix & match at least to get a short power nap.

I manage to sleep 1-2 hours a day, but sometimes I get 6 hours every 3-4 days. I thought about valerian but it doesn't seem effective.

Valerian is weak as fuck, at least the usual preparations. I'd rather recommend trying doxylamine or hydroxyzine for sleep or even temporary zopiclone.

Also I think venlafaxine, being a close chemical cousin of tramadol, might help separating the opioid from the SNRI withdrawal.

I was taking Tramadol for about 7 years for chronic back pain. Getting off this medication was downright brutal. First the physical withdrawal which included sheer anxiety, hot and cold sweats, insomnia, etc. The psychological was also crippling. I finally found kratom and it was a Godsend.

riora69 you seem too doing really well and will be better in not too distant future I’m sure. I’m glad it’s so. Even just 1 – 2h a day is immensely better that no sleep at all, and not really dangerous except for really long periods.

And although valeriana is weak, it’s still better than nothing.

riora69 you seem too doing really well and will be better in not too distant future I’m sure. I’m glad it’s so. Even just 1 – 2h a day is immensely better that no sleep at all, and not really dangerous except for really long periods.

And although valeriana is weak, it’s still better than nothing.
after I wrote the morning reply, I went back to sleep for another 1 hour. I can't believe how happy I am to sleep...holy shit! Thanx for the kind words!

I came out again like Dudu's scabies... haha

So today I'm on my 8th day and although it's very little, I managed to get some sleep. I would like to believe that I am slowly getting over the acute, but my body is not telling me that. characterized by difficulty and slowness. it's better if I don't talk about the mental side because there's nothing motivating about it. however, tomorrow is my first day of psychotherapy and I am very excited. if you are interested, I will share my experience tomorrow evening.
so far I have always fought alone, but now something else is happening. Good luck to everyone who is struggling and I love you all!

Staying awake for weeks is dangerous, not only difficult. And there isn’t drug WD that isn’t vastly more durable if you get few hours of sleep and give a bit of rest to mind and body.

If you don’t get any sleep in days to come, get at least something OTC for sleep, mix & match at least to get a short power nap.
Be carefull with OTC sleep medicine. They cause me to have severe restless limbs especially during WD. I personally wouldn't take them.

Be carefull with OTC sleep medicine. They cause me to have severe restless limbs especially during WD. I personally wouldn't take them.

I did not use any medicine (otc) not even an orphan clonazepam.

Hello!

I had my first therapy today and I think it really helps now. I'm sorry I didn't ask for help for years. this is my 9th day in wd. I hope it will end someday.

Uhm.. never asked before, but how long does it take for testosterone levels to recover?

If your lucky they aint even fucked up

Check it out when you can

I also need to do that to see if I was lucky enough to avoid damaging myself in that way too from poly-drug use, or if it recovered since I’m relatively decent for quite a long time