• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

sober activties (the anti-drug culture thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seriously though, I think dancing at raves and clubs is great to do sober! Dancing is good exercise, and the music gets you "high" without drugs if you're willing to open your mind to it.

<3 psychoactive music (Electric Universe)

i feel like im just going to explode and punch a hole in a wall or through a chair across the room.

Well hey, then you can be CEO of Microsoft! :p

Graffiti - better than any drug, you get so hyped up- its awesome
there should be a support group for ex writers. cuz its been years and im still hooked like a dope fiend

i like feeding the birds in my backyard daily
lil sparrows are my buddies
puts a smile on my face watching them chow

getting the yard ready for the garden this spring

- tennis

powerwalks

if im hanging with buddies at a bar , drink club soda and play games like suffleboard , darts or poool - youll kick all the drunks ass, the only flaw is if you are playing for drinks , you only win another club soda

drawing relentlessly
playing guitar

improving your house or apartment

when summer comes skateboarding and record shopping
and gunna learn how to surf this summer

Music. You don't need to be on any drugs to enjoy this one unique and sublime experience in life. Seeing a great live act, going to a concert of really talented musicians, playing it in recital halls, playing it with your friends in a band... nothing beats it.

Sure, some drugs can really enhance music appreciation, but anyone that tells me that music isn't good sober is crazy.

Even the music therapy studies with LSD etc.... the LSD changed the subjective experience a hell of a lot, but LSD + music was no better than music alone for feelings of well being and positive outcomes. Some of the best musicians I know take no drugs and hate the association between their art and drug use

Sorry for rambling, but yeah... music!

What a great thread idea :)
I've been largely sober this month. 2 lsd trips but that's it.
I've been a daily cannabis smoker for almost 6 years, and this is only the 3rd time I've taken any significant break from it. I find that when I dont smoke I'm generally just a healtier person.
I've started excersizing more and I find this is a great way to get sort of a "natural high".

My husband and I go out to dinner, a concert, a comedy show, a movie, to a game night with other couples, host a dinner party for 6 or have an appetizer/drink gathering. All depends on the cash flow. An evening alone at home is nice too.

Our weekend days are consistently filled with the gym, errands, housecleaning/laundry (woohoo 8) I like the end result). My husband works Saturdays. We hike on Sundays weather permitting or he plays golf, I read and cook. Recently we are taking on renovation tasks.

Personally, I enjoy organizing things too. It relaxes me. Closets, cupboards, rearranging rooms. Bringing in new things and selling/discarding/donating old items. I like thinking about decorating and slowly making the changes I can afford. I like planning things. Like our upcoming weekend trip to Burlington, VT. I like flower arranging. I keep fresh flowers around our home. I like having plants. Researching about the ones and buying the ones I might help thrive. I like walking the dog. I like napping with my cat. I like having a bird feeder to watch. I have a bird book and binoculars. I like taking photos...not only of myself. Simple stuff like this keeps me going and makes me feel good.

All of the above we/I have done under the influence too.
You can learn how to do things sober. We did.

I think this thread has been done before.

Learn an instrument, go for a swim, read a book, ride a bike

Cooking, have a dinner party with non-alcoholic mixed drinks, give yourself a makeover, go for a bike ride, put together a large jigsaw puzzle.

You can do many things sober.....It's called moderation. If getting fucked up is the only thing that you have in life, then you need to get a life.:|

Anything physical really. I enjoy cycling, rock climbing, and running. I also enjoy playing pool sober, I find that I'm a much better shot when I'm just having a juice instead of a beer. If you are looking to do something that is social but not active, board games can be a lot of fun. Cooking is a wonderful way to spend an evening with someone or many someones, and shopping, although I'm not really into the whole material aspect, just going out and having a little look can be nice. Museums are a good way to spend an afternoon with a group, going out for coffee or tea, or lunch, or hitting up a video arcade.

There are tons of things to do that are fun and do not require drugs or alcohol. The trick is trying them all and deciding which ones you find amusing.

I'm going to try volunteering. I'm not sure what I should go for, but I'm leaning towards red cross/ambulance service or state park. Something that will lend to legitimate experience for the job market.

I also enjoy skateboarding and I never liked doing it on drugs.

sex

i know its better with a little buzz, but honestly, you dont need it

I was admitting to someone earlier today, it's been more than 2.5 years since I've had any sexual contact sober. I don't remember what it feels like any more. :eek:

Some things I like sober; movies (sometimes cinema if I have a weekday off), gambling (any form), walking, shopping (about 2 hours max is all I can stand), writing, studying, daydreaming, curling up in bed and going to work.

Video games and chess!

Video games is pretty common but few people truly understand the beauty of chess. If you guys are bored, try it some time. Once you get into it (and if you find a playmate), it will be one of the most productive ways to spend your time. It's good for the memory, cognition, etc. And time will really fly by after you get into it lol.

EDIT: btw playing chess in real life is 100x better than playing on a computer.

Last edited:
Art is really good. I've seen people give up drugs without having to distance themselves from their drug taking friends by just being the entertainment for everybody, encouraging others to get into it and creating a total atmosphere of creativity without even trying, causing their friends to use less drugs too because they're too distracted making crazy stuff.

With myself, a major branch of the art I make is psychedelic, and trips are a major part of the influence behind what I do, but I can only pull things out of the psychedelic experience if I have a completely sober mind for long enough to interpret it. I used to smoke a hell of a lot of grass all the time, though, which paradoxically improved my aesthetic in ways but took a lot out of my motivation to make anything of it.

But psychedelics aren't always something people take socially or very often. Herb certainly is though.

Oh! and skateboarding, which I would still be doing if I didn't get my skate stolen. It gives you a proper high like nothing else (bombing hills is better than many of the drugs I've had), improves health if you don't spill too often and has a super strong social element if you skate with friends.

I find many people completely oblivious to their surroundings. They frequent the same areas and head back home. Some of them even take the same route everyday!!
Can't stand hearing kids talk about their "shitty town". Get out and explore your surroundings. I realise not everyone is into checking out the areas under freeway overpasses, and back alleys and train stations like I am, but put me in any place and I will find some cool stuff to check out. City, rural, doesn't matter.

There are alot of hobbies and shit I'm into that don't involve drugs(even tho I may be high while doing them :D), but here are some things I think are fun to do with other people as well.

Biking...anywhere. to the beach, mall, park(one of the zillion around). walking around aimlessly, having good conversation. going for coffee(haha, does this count?) screen printing, or any other artistic activity, collaboration are great. "projects"(like building things, treehouses, working on a bike/car) going out to eat. going to a show or movie. (tho i gotta admit the former almost always involves substances) even just chilling at someones house with a group of friends. if you play an instrument, find some other people who do and make some music!

and random events or gatherings revolving around the countless sub-cultural social outlets("scenes) that are out there. check out flyers you see around record shops, art stores, or hear from word-of-mouth.

Status
Not open for further replies.