• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Heroin so heroin does actually make you look ugly, i knew it!

e92

Bluelighter
i am 20 days clean from heroin! after a roughly 4 month relapse. my brother and his girlfriend came to visit me a month into my relapse. and today i saw them and she commented, "i dont know what you're been doing or eating but you just look like... healthier for some reason" and they 100% had no idea was on dope. funny thing is, i was still eating clean 4-5 meals a day and working out 4 times a week.

i always notice this when i go on a binge longer than 2 weeks straight, even though there would be no change in my diet, weight, or exercise

Was your sleep interrupted while you relapsed, certainly likely if you got high in the evenings cos you don't really sleep when you're a little too high, otherwise - makes sense to me. We are always better off than on.

WELL DONE on 20 days clean e92 - you are a champion!

Was your sleep interrupted while you relapsed, certainly likely if you got high in the evenings cos you don't really sleep when you're a little too high, otherwise - makes sense to me. We are always better off than on.

WELL DONE on 20 days clean e92 - you are a champion!
thank you! and about the interrupted sleep, yeah sometimes not often though.

^The less sleep I get the uglier I get that's for sure but not in your case you handsome devil lol.

Heroin doesnt make you ugly and unhealthy. The life style you chose made you ugly and unhealthy.

Good job changing your lifestyle, I hope you end up pretty and healthy.

And all these years I thought heroin was making me more handsome!

In all seriousness, I definitely agree. I can easily look 10 years older when I am strung out. Then if you get clean, about 6-8 weeks after you start looking healthy again.

Heroin doesnt make you ugly and unhealthy. The life style you chose made you ugly and unhealthy.

This pretty much. I used to be a bodybuilder, after I started on heroin/opiates I quit working out. I neglected to eat as much food as I needed on many occasions. After withdrawals my eyes had (and still do, 11 days clean but feels like much longer. Should be longer but relapsed at one point) bags under them. I am now noticebly much skinnier, i have those classic addict eyes, but those are more due to my lifestyle and choices i made after i started using than directly as a result of the heroin. Except for the eyes maybe, but i had bags before withdrawals from my sleep schedule being fucked up due to the times of the day i chose to use, not the drug.

Last edited:
Trust me man... you may think you are taking care of yourself...but heroin is full of cuts that are dangerous to the body...not to mention if you are a speedballer like I was you constantly go without meals and sleep. That really makes your skin jacked up and your hormones out of balance. Yeah I have lasting scars on my arms and hands from IV, but I look and feel a lot better after a year. I mean even with being sick, I have gained enough weight to be healthy again.

The best thing you can do for yourself is just excercise regularly and eat small meals multiple times a day and stay away from opiates, or only use them when you need them.

Nice job on the 20 days! Its always cool when people, who have no clue about your personal struggles, notice differences when you make changes. When I relapse/binge, my skin loses its glow, also my hair takes on a different look too. My face tends to breakout some too, which I CANT stand! If I keep food in me while using, it doesn't look as bad, but I always lose the appetite first when I go on a run. But I do agree, its more of the actions that go hand in hand with using that affect our GREAT looks. I stress more, eat less, sweat more, sleep less, and just give no fuck, depending on what's fueling me emotionally at the time.
I look better when things aren't internally fucking with my head, so if I use and my mind's emotionally stable, I can have fun and not look like a crack whore! Go figure! Weed generally keeps me positive all around too, so if I keep on that life's good.

I very often looked like shit after using stronger opioids/opiates like oxycodone, heroin or poppy seed tea.
Especially after a few days of use.

Also I was four years addicted to tilidine and I took care of myself...but a bit after i stopped people told me that i look much much better.

Last edited:
actually heroin stops aging IME
I know you're not joking, because i tend to agree. I've known a few long-term heroin addicts that look half their age.
No HR message in that at all - but it is an observation i have made as well.
Obviously physical indications of age - and their causes - are various, but i know heavy drinkers my age that look 10-30 years older than i do, and have seen other drugs seem to prematurely age people physically.

^ agreed, and seconded. Looking noticeably healthier and better is a great sign you are doing the right thing, and a nice piece of positive reinforcement.

I know you're not joking, because i tend to agree. I've known a few long-term heroin addicts that look half their age.

Yes, I noticed the same thing.
But sometimes you can also tell by their look (face) that they are long term addicts.

And imho also the voices of long term addicts have sometimes something in common.
Even when clean and sober.

Last edited:
Yeah, very true.
I've noticed that i can spot a long-term heroin user a mile away, but when mentioning it to others (without a history of this kind of addiction) think i'm being funny or judgemental or something along those lines - when i'm absolutely not; just noticing the way such things leave their mark on people.
This is like many things in life, however.
In the summertime in Australia, I spot a person that isn't local, simply based on their skin.
Because of the hole in the ozone layer, and the heat of the Australian sun, people that grew up where i live have skin that has a subtle, yet distinctive leathery look to it.
Even the most sun-tanned, bronze skinned european tourist looks different to this, as they havent had the same exposure to this environment.

I think this is somehow analogous to the way addicts can end up looking - and, indeed - sounding.
Much the same can be said for users of many drugs - regardless of the way people dress or act, i can often tell people are heavy users of alcohol, amphetamine or MDMA based upon small things that seem common to a lot of the folks i've known who fall into these categories.
Long term environmental factors can really affect people's physical appearance - and living a healthy life shows (in all the best ways) too :)

Nice job on the 20 days! Its always cool when people, who have no clue about your personal struggles, notice differences when you make changes. When I relapse/binge, my skin loses its glow, also my hair takes on a different look too. My face tends to breakout some too, which I CANT stand! If I keep food in me while using, it doesn't look as bad, but I always lose the appetite first when I go on a run. But I do agree, its more of the actions that go hand in hand with using that affect our GREAT looks. I stress more, eat less, sweat more, sleep less, and just give no fuck, depending on what's fueling me emotionally at the time.
I look better when things aren't internally fucking with my head, so if I use and my mind's emotionally stable, I can have fun and not look like a crack whore! Go figure! Weed generally keeps me positive all around too, so if I keep on that life's good.
thank you so much, i really appreciate it. it's not my first relapse but definitely my hardest relapse/recovery. it hasn't been easy and i was so proud ofsymyself yesterday when i figured out i miscounted the days and it turned out to be more. and to think this time last month i was in my room alone, dependent on heroin, chain smoking cigarettes thinking everything was ok but wondering why my girlfriend was leaving me.

my skin looks better and so does my hair. just proving a point here, but naturally a really good looking guy so growing up that forced me to always make sure i look my best. i always notice when something is wrong. greyish skin and doopy eyes. bags under my eyes.

those who know the deal can notice when someone is on heroin right away. i will never forget beating the shit out of my childhood best friend when i saw him high 2 months after he overdosed and was nearly dead from IVing heroin.

but the worst part is, when i looked into my eyes in the mirror, and in the eyes of every heroin user, i saw no expression. i saw no emotion. i saw nothing.. and that tore me up inside.

^So true. Cannot hide shame from yourself.

And I have to agree that alcohol and cigarettes (oh what a lovely synergistic combo) ages an individual no end. I can spot junkies and alcoholics a mile away - I recognise my kind lol.

Congratulations e92! Keep moving forward. I'm sure it will certainly make you look better from inside out.

The things people tend to notice is normally our skin color, the weight loss, thinner face, paleness.
But most importantly (IMO) is the way we look at people when we are sober. Specially coming off from heroin.
Perhaps something do to with the brightness of our eyes.

Everyone is different. There's a thread here about pictures "now and after". Some of the posters have changed completely in less than 30 days if memory serves me well. One of us have changed completely. Round and positive face, and the eye expression I was talking about.

Once more congrats and good luck!!
Erik

Yeah that hollow eyed stare is so chilling to me. I can't look I into a mirror when I'm using and I'm female so its required if I do my makeup. I mean, I'd look in a mirror, but just not longer than needed and I avoid gazing into my own eyes. Its also added giveaway when I spot other active addicts. The broken out skin, greyish tint and hollow motherfucking gaze! I should call Stephen King for a novel idea.....shheeiittt.