• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

smoking vs vaporizing

vaporizing weed is a much clear/tasty high compare to smoking joints/bong. from bong/joints i get the headrush and coughing smoke makes me feel extra dirty.
also with vaporizing weed, you can roll the vaped weed in a joint for quick small session, taste like ass but gets you ripped still.

Salutations TranceTasy,

...you can roll the vaped weed in a joint for quick small session...

It's true electric vaporizers typically seem more involving, not to mention their cannabic vapor is dry. As for goodies being left behind i've tested this idea using 172 g of HA remains and my resulting 0.5 g extract turned out to be little more than tar/cauldron, which i found to be quite repulsive... In comparison my pipe provides fairly good & quick inhalations while this particular tool also happens to be self-moisturizing. In addition, using it i prefer not to push extraction too far: the remaining material goes to a jar for later reclaims, as cookies instead.

=D

Salutations TranceTasy,

It's true electric vaporizers typically seem more involving, not to mention their cannabic vapor is dry. As for goodies being left behind i've tested this idea using 172 g of HA remains and my resulting 0.5 g extract turned out to be little more than tar/cauldron, which i found to be quite repulsive... In comparison my pipe provides fairly good & quick inhalations while this particular tool also happens to be self-moisturizing. In addition, using it i prefer not to push extraction too far: the remaining material goes to a jar for later reclaims, as cookies instead.

=D

Can you say all of this again in clear English, please? :D

I'm pretty sure there is information in this post that I need to know but am having trouble teasing out the meaning.

Heh, I've smoked the left over stuff after vaporizing before. I can't recommend it and it tastes terrible, but it did provide a solid buzz in a pinch.

Salutations Bit_Pattern,

Sorry, i've already done all i could.

=D

Can you clarify some terminology at least?

"172 g of HA remains"

"tar/cauldron, which i found to be quite repulsive"

"particular tool also happens to be self-moisturizing"

The reason I ask is that I vape my bud pretty thoroughly - I start at between 190 - 200, do one bag then empty the filling chamber until whatever I have is gone. Then I start the second run, using slightly more each time, then when I've gone through all of it like that I fill the chamber with everything I've got left and hit it again at 230. I'm assuming there'd be no point saving the stuff that's been vaped to within an inch of its life - I mean, it reduces a 1/4 oz down to an amount that could just fill the chamber, so it loses a significant quantity of whatever is in the plant material. Someone suggested doing QISO on it but by the sounds of it (if I understand what you are saying, which I'm still not 100% sure that I do) that would be waste off time.

Last edited:
Does anyone notice a difference in the high if they vape at different temperatures? E.g. THC vaporises at about 180C. whereas CBDs vaporise at 200C+. I always do a couple of hits at 190-200 then put the vaped material aside to raost later at 230

THC vapes at <160o, and most of the cannabinoids will vape at 180. At 200+, benzene forms, which is not particularly a big deal but it seems somewhat pointless to vape instead of smoke if you're still going to roast the plant until carcinogens form.

Salutations Bit_Pattern,

...having trouble teasing out the meaning. ... ...clarify some terminology...

It was after a comment from TranceTasy about a simple method meant to reclaim from already vaporized cannabis. Using an HerbalAire (HA) table vaporizer i collected 172 g of such remains which were water-cured before i proceeded with grain alcohol extraction and yet it proved to be totally useless in the end (no goodies were left to be reclaimed in the first place).

...self-moisturizing...

The VaporGenie butane-operated pipe generates a hot moisturized air stream before it even enters its vaporizing chamber; this concept is based on a specific chemical reaction where combustion of butane gas converts it into carbon dioxyde (CO2), water vapor (H2O) and energy (heat)...

...I start at between 190 - 200... ... ...hit it again at 230...

First of all, depending on manufacturing quality those temperatures may be similar between units of a same brand/model but we must keep in mind those are NOT absolute values as the numbers differ significantly if you compare different configurations (e.g. these figures may apply to a convection system such as the Arizer Extreme-Q while an HerbalAire stops at ~200 °C anyway)...

Good day, have fun!

=D

THC vapes at <160o, and most of the cannabinoids will vape at 180. At 200+, benzene forms, which is not particularly a big deal but it seems somewhat pointless to vape instead of smoke if you're still going to roast the plant until carcinogens form.

Not really - is still way cleaner than combusting the stuff, the residue on the vape is testament to that. Of all the things that are likely to give me cancer, a few benzo-rings formed from pot being heated a little higher than it should is the least of my worries. Much more concerned about all the polonium I inhaled from smoking tobacco for years.

And then there's the whole efficiency thing - weed in my Volcano lasts me nearly twice as long as it would if I was smoking it (and tbh that is probably my main reason for vaping, rather than the health benefits). There are plenty of reasons to vape beyond avoiding a few minor carcinogens.

Edit: I hadn't looked into any of this since I bought my vape about 5 years ago but was certain there was good reason for vaping at higher temps (aside from the fact that vaping material again at 230 when desperate gets me high as fuck - must be all that tetrahydrocannabivarin, certainly isn't the cannabidiol which I mistakenly though vaporised at higher temps than 180. But, yeah, when there's nothing else around a big lungful of tetrahydrocannabivarin can be quite a treat, even if it does come avec a few benzo-rings)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Phytocannabinoids, their boiling points, and properties

delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC)
Boiling point: 157*C / 314.6 degree Fahrenheit
Properties: Euphoriant, Analgesic, Antiinflammatory, Antioxidant, Antiemetic

cannabidiol (CBD)
Boiling point: 160-180*C / 320-356 degree Fahrenheit
Properties: Anxiolytic, Analgesic, Antipsychotic, Antiinflammatory, Antioxidant, Antispasmodic

Cannabinol (CBN)
Boiling point: 185*C / 365 degree Fahrenheit
Properties: Oxidation, breakdown, product, Sedative, Antibiotic

cannabichromene (CBC)
Boiling point: 220*C / 428 degree Fahrenheit
Properties: Antiinflammatory, Antibiotic, Antifungal

cannabigerol (CBG)
Boiling point: MP52

?-8-tetrahydrocannabinol (?-8-THC)
Boiling point: 175-178*C / 347-352.4 degree Fahrenheit
Properties: Resembles ?-9-THC, Less psychoactive, More stable Antiemetic

tetrahydrocannabivarin (THCV)
Boiling point: < 220*C / <428 degree Fahrenheit
Properties: Analgesic, Euphoriant

Terpenoid essential oils, their boiling points, and properties

ß-myrcene
Boiling point: 166-168*C / 330.8-334.4 degree Fahrenheit
Properties: Analgesic. Antiinflammatory, Antibiotic, Antimutagenic

ß-caryophyllene
Boiling point: 119*C / 246.2 degree Fahrenheit
Properties: Antiinflammatory, Cytoprotective (gastric mucosa), Antimalarial

d-limonene
Boiling point: 177*C / 350.6 degree Fahrenheit
Properties: Cannabinoid agonist?, Immune potentiator, Antidepressant, Antimutagenic

linalool
Boiling point: 198*C / 388.4 degree Fahrenheit
Properties: Sedative, Antidepressant, Anxiolytic, Immune potentiator

pulegone
Boiling point: 224*C / 435.2 degree Fahrenheit
Properties: Memory booster?, AChE inhibitor, Sedative, Antipyretic

1,8-cineole (eucalyptol)
Boiling point: 176*C / 348.8 degree Fahrenheit
Properties: AChE inhibitor, Increases cerebral, blood flow, Stimulant, Antibiotic, Antiviral, Antiinflammatory, Antinociceptive

a-pinene
Boiling point: 156*C / 312.8 degree Fahrenheit
Properties: Antiinflammatory, Bronchodilator, Stimulant, Antibiotic, Antineoplastic, AChE inhibitor

a-terpineol
Boiling point: 217-218*C / 422.6-424.4 degree Fahrenheit
Properties: Sedative, Antibiotic, AChE inhibitor, Antioxidant, Antimalarial

terpineol-4-ol
Boiling point: 209*C / 408.2 degree Fahrenheit
Properties: AChE inhibitor. Antibiotic

p-cymene
Properties: Antibiotic, Anticandidal, AChE inhibitor

Flavonoid and phytosterol components, their boiling points, and properties

apigenin
Boiling point: 178*C / 352.4 degree Fahrenheit
Properties: Anxiolytic, Antiinflammatory, Estrogenic

quercetin
Boiling point: 250*C / 482 degree Fahrenheit
Properties: Antioxidant, Antimutagenic, Antiviral, Antineoplastic

cannflavin A
Boiling point: 182*C / 359.6 degree Fahrenheit
Properties: COX inhibitor, LO inhibitor

ß-sitosterol
Boiling point: 134*C / 273.2 degree Fahrenheit
Properties: Antiinflammatory, 5-a-reductase, inhibitor

Last edited:
And, regarding the efficiency of vaporising - if that were one's primary concern (as it is for me) higher temps might be the best way to go:

Research using the vaporizer found the delivery efficiency highest at around 226 °C (439 °F), falling to about half efficiency at 150 °C (302 °F) to 180 °C (356 °F) degrees depending on material.[24]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaporizer_(inhalation_device)#Efficiency

Of course, the healthiest choice would be to vape at <180 and reclaim the material with an iso wash or something but, shiiiiiit, I smoke a LOT of pot - I'm really not that motivated =D

Salutations Bit_Pattern,

It was after a comment from TranceTasy about a simple method meant to reclaim from already vaporized cannabis. Using an HerbalAire (HA) table vaporizer i collected 172 g of such remains which were water-cured before i proceeded with grain alcohol extraction and yet it proved to be totally useless in the end (no goodies were left to be reclaimed in the first place).

The VaporGenie butane-operated pipe generates a hot moisturized air stream before it even enters its vaporizing chamber; this concept is based on a specific chemical reaction where combustion of butane gas converts it into carbon dioxyde (CO2), water vapor (H2O) and energy (heat)...

First of all, depending on manufacturing quality those temperatures may be similar between units of a same brand/model but we must keep in mind those are NOT absolute values as the numbers differ significantly if you compare different configurations (e.g. these figures may apply to a convection system such as the Arizer Extreme-Q while an HerbalAire stops at ~200 °C anyway)...

Good day, have fun!

=D

What temp do you suppose the HA is getting the material too before any extractions become useless? I'm just curious to compare to my own smoking habits and whether I've been cheating myself by throwing vaped material away

Salutations Bit_Pattern,

What temp do you suppose the HA is getting the material too before any extractions become useless?

It's possible i misunderstood this sentence as formulated but i used to set the HA knob between 185 °C (365 °F) and 195 °C (~385 °F) then i definitely switched to another solution after 25 months of trying to deal with electric dryness.

I'm just curious to compare to my own smoking habits and whether I've been cheating myself by throwing vaped material away

These days my pipe-vaporized material still needs to go somewhere anyway and the worst which could happen would be to bake cookies with no potency so i continue to do it, taking care to leave some goodies other than just tar for my future reclaims: the appreciation part is as important as the psycho-active effects if/when any so i don't wait for the pop-corn taste before i empty my pipe vaporizer.

=D

Phytocannabinoids, their boiling points, and properties

NSFW:
delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC)
Boiling point: 157*C / 314.6 degree Fahrenheit
Properties: Euphoriant, Analgesic, Antiinflammatory, Antioxidant, Antiemetic

cannabidiol (CBD)
Boiling point: 160-180*C / 320-356 degree Fahrenheit
Properties: Anxiolytic, Analgesic, Antipsychotic, Antiinflammatory, Antioxidant, Antispasmodic

Cannabinol (CBN)
Boiling point: 185*C / 365 degree Fahrenheit
Properties: Oxidation, breakdown, product, Sedative, Antibiotic

cannabichromene (CBC)
Boiling point: 220*C / 428 degree Fahrenheit

cannabigerol (CBG)
Boiling point: MP52

?-8-tetrahydrocannabinol (?-8-THC)
Boiling point: 175-178*C / 347-352.4 degree Fahrenheit
Properties: Resembles ?-9-THC, Less psychoactive, More stable Antiemetic

tetrahydrocannabivarin (THCV)
Boiling point: < 220*C / <428 degree Fahrenheit
Properties: Analgesic, Euphoriant

Terpenoid essential oils, their boiling points, and properties

ß-myrcene
Boiling point: 166-168*C / 330.8-334.4 degree Fahrenheit
Properties: Analgesic. Antiinflammatory, Antibiotic, Antimutagenic

ß-caryophyllene
Boiling point: 119*C / 246.2 degree Fahrenheit
Properties: Antiinflammatory, Cytoprotective (gastric mucosa), Antimalarial

d-limonene
Properties: Cannabinoid agonist?, Immune potentiator, Antidepressant, Antimutagenic

linalool
Boiling point: 198*C / 388.4 degree Fahrenheit
Properties: Sedative, Antidepressant, Anxiolytic, Immune potentiator

pulegone
Boiling point: 224*C / 435.2 degree Fahrenheit
Properties: Memory booster?, AChE inhibitor, Sedative, Antipyretic

1,8-cineole (eucalyptol)
Boiling point: 176*C / 348.8 degree Fahrenheit
Properties: AChE inhibitor, Increases cerebral, blood flow, Stimulant, Antibiotic, Antiviral, Antiinflammatory, Antinociceptive

a-pinene
Boiling point: 156*C / 312.8 degree Fahrenheit
Properties: Antiinflammatory, Bronchodilator, Stimulant, Antibiotic, Antineoplastic, AChE inhibitor

a-terpineol
Boiling point: 217-218*C / 422.6-424.4 degree Fahrenheit
Properties: Sedative, Antibiotic, AChE inhibitor, Antioxidant, Antimalarial

terpineol-4-ol
Boiling point: 209*C / 408.2 degree Fahrenheit
Properties: AChE inhibitor. Antibiotic

p-cymene
Properties: Antibiotic, Anticandidal, AChE inhibitor

Flavonoid and phytosterol components, their boiling points, and properties

apigenin

quercetin
Boiling point: 250*C / 482 degree Fahrenheit
Properties: Antioxidant, Antimutagenic, Antiviral, Antineoplastic

cannflavin A
Boiling point: 182*C / 359.6 degree Fahrenheit
Properties: COX inhibitor, LO inhibitor

ß-sitosterol
Boiling point: 134*C / 273.2 degree Fahrenheit
Properties: Antiinflammatory, 5-a-reductase, inhibitor

Do you have a source link for this? It would be good to reference in a future sticky thread

apigenin

Out of that whole list it makes cannabis seem like it truly is a wonder medicine. The estrogenic effect of apigenin is the only thing from the whole list that you could say is bad.

From wiki:

It was recently shown that apigenin induces autophagy (a kind of cellular waste-recycling system) in leukemia cells, which may support a possible chemopreventive role, but that induction of autophagy simultaneously induces resistance against the chemotherapy drug vincristine.[3] Apigenin is a potent inhibitor of CYP2C9,[4] an enzyme responsible for the metabolism of many pharmaceutical drugs in the body.

Apigenin has been shown to prevent renal damage caused by cyclosporin in rats, associated with reduced expression of the cell death mediator bcl-2 in histopathological sections.[5] Cyclosporine A enhances the expression of transforming growth factor-β in the rat kidney, which signifies accelerated apoptosis. Therefore, transforming growth factor-β and apoptotic index may be used to assess apigenin and its effect on cyclosporine A-induced renal damage.[6]

Apigenin acts as a monoamine transporter activator -what does monoamine transporter activation technically do? Reverse transport, enhance, block?, one of the few chemicals demonstrated to possess this property.[7] Apigenin is a ligand for central benzodiazepine receptors that competitively inhibited the binding of flunitrazepam with a Ki of 4μM, exerting anxiolytic and slight sedative effects.[8]

In vitro studies have shown that apigenin may be toxic to red blood cells.[9] - This concerns me.

Apigenin may also stimulate adult neurogenesis, with at least one study claiming that apigenin "stimulate adult neurogenesis in vivo and in vitro, by promoting neuronal differentiation" and may be useful "for stimulating adult neurogenesis and for the treatment of neurological diseases, disorders and injuries, by stimulating the generation of neuronal cells in the adult brain." While potentially promising, the study used rats and its effects have yet to be demonstrated in humans. [10]