• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Smoking Black Tar Basics

O1s480

Greenlighter
So I recently started smoking black tar and I'm very curious on the techniques I constantly read in the forums here.... I'm new to this so of course I do the tin foil and star method. But I don't get this whole "chasing the dragon" thing every keeps saying you have to do in order to get high.

I kept trying it at first and I'd get little to no hits and it would take forever to get high. And it seemed to waste a lot from smoke being all over.... What I've done lately is take a small peice, about the size of a match head, and slowy creep the lighter towards the foil until the tar starts to smoke. Then just keep creeping it closer and closer. Eventually I'm torching the foil, which everyone says not to do, until I get the very last bit out of it as I can. Since the tar sits in one little spot I don't seem to miss any smoke and get pretty large hits.

So my question is why people say it's a must to chase the dragon? Am I actually not getting as much out of it as I can? What I don't get is that tar isn't combustable or flamable, it's a solid/liquid that's heated to an oil and then eventually a gas which you inhale... Is it really that essential to smoke it in such a ridiculous way to chase it at an angle? I really don't see a reasoning for any of that unless I'm missing something. I also don't get why people can't use meth pipes to heat it and just twist the bowl. Only thing I would hate is trying to clean up all the ash/coal that would build up from putting it in a pipe.

Please refrain from any replies that say to stop now or anything involving waterlining or shooting up. This post is simply to see what is so special about chasing it. I've already made the dicision to do it and I don't want anthing to do with shooting.

Also, if chasing it is really that important, and tar is water soluable, can't I just add a drop or two to a decent size chunk to dissolve the tar and spread it around the foil? At least that way I would end up with a thin film of tar in a line that would be very easy to chase without losing any smoke in the process. Just a thought.

Because if you just let it start to sizzle in place it will exceed the temperatures you want and begin to burn up some of the heroin. What I do is just take a square of foil about 8 inches or so on each side and fold it in half, put the match head sized dot on the top of one of the sides so that it can run down towards the crease when you light it. The folding it helps with tilting the foil to get the lighter under it and get it rolling down the foil. A meth pipe would take too long to cool down since glass has the property to it so foil is the best way to go.

I get that it'll heat it too much by what I'm doing in a sense. However, if I'm inhaling all the smoke how can i really be wasting anything? It's not like the heroin just disapears. Does it change the chemical structure to a gas that doesn't get you high or something?

I'm pretty sure the opiates get destroyed past a certain temperature so that's why you would want to vaporize it more than burn it.

"chasing the dragon" is way easier than often suggested. it might take time to perfect, but getting it right takes all of one or two tries. do exactly what you are doing but tilt the foil. you will get great hits. put your ball on the foil. tilt it. slowly move your lighter closer and closer until it start to make the ball of dope smoke. you might have to move it just the tiniest bit closer or tilt the foil the tiniest bit more, and the ball will suddenly (but not too quickly) start sliding down the foil. the smoke it leaves in it's wake is phenomenal and will get you very high. smoke will not be all over; it very predictably comes off as the dope moves in a line down the foil. if the dope is moving so fast you have trouble chasing with your pen, your angle is too severe. you also don't have to do it all in one fell swoop. if you take your thumb off the lighter the dope will stop moving. the first time you get it right will be an aha moment.

i had the same thoughts as you, but tried to do it right anyway. got it right almost immediately and saw it's the way smoke dope off foil.

if you don't wanna "stop now," make sure you're thinking into the future and have a plan. even if you don't end up a homeless junky, you are without question sabotaging your life.

enjoy.

"chasing the dragon" is way easier than often suggested. it might take time to perfect, but getting it right takes all of one or two tries. do exactly what you are doing but tilt the foil. you will get great hits. put your ball on the foil. tilt it. slowly move your lighter closer and closer until it start to make the ball of dope smoke. you might have to move it just the tiniest bit closer or tilt the foil the tiniest bit more, and the ball will suddenly (but not too quickly) start sliding down the foil. the smoke it leaves in it's wake is phenomenal and will get you very high. smoke will not be all over; it very predictably comes off as the dope moves in a line down the foil. if the dope is moving so fast you have trouble chasing with your pen, your angle is too severe. you also don't have to do it all in one fell swoop. if you take your thumb off the lighter the dope will stop moving. the first time you get it right will be an aha moment.

i had the same thoughts as you, but tried to do it right anyway. got it right almost immediately and saw it's the way smoke dope off foil.

if you don't wanna "stop now," make sure you're thinking into the future and have a plan. even if you don't end up a homeless junky, you are without question sabotaging your life.

enjoy.
You're not sabotaging your life, if you know how hard withdrawals are and such why would you use everyday? Just use it once and put about 2 or 3 days in between next use. Or even a week, that way you will never suffer withdrawals. Just don't underestimate your own willpower.

oh, re-read your post and see the smoke being all over is an experience not a concern. i'd try it again. you'll see once you get it right. the smoke like billows out from behind the ball as it slides. i hold the foil in a bit of a U shape. like a really weak half-pipe. it's fine if it flattens out toward the end because by then you clearly see how and where the dope is sliding. trying to get the dope to slide down a crease of folded tinfoil is not the way, in my experience.

all i can think of is you're holding the lighter too close (i said in previous post until the ball smokes, but actually it really doesn't give off much smoke until it starts sliding. move lighter up slowly until it starts to slide.), you're waiting until the dope start smoking to move your pen into place (have it hovering), or your piece of dope is so small it's disappearing before you can get behind it. if your current method works and gets you super high, word.

sure withdrawal is not pleasant and i imagine it gets pretty terrible for a gram a day shooter. but seen users voluntarily go through it just so they can get more out of their dope a day or two later. the assured loss with hard drug use is time and potential. squandered being high and wanting to be high. you've decided to smoke heroin. alright. be sure to continuously reevaluate your situation.

Last edited:
I’ve tried smoking Tar like 10’s and I just see a bunch of smoke billow out around me and I barely blow any out….I grew up on the east coast when atleast snorting was an option. Tell me what I’m doing wrong…. I use a foil around 6 inch by 6inch, hold it like in a u shape, put a dab of the h on the top of the foil and tilt foil so it runs down, heat up the h till it starts dripping and suck in with like a 3-4 inch straw… I think I’m getting the lighter to close, or something…any suggestions

I thought “chasing the dragon” was chasing the initial high which is like a mythical creature, not a smoking tek ?

I always assumed it was describing how you smoke heroin on foil as well, it liquifies and you "chase" the lighter around the foil

the dragon starts puffing and you chase it with your tooter

idk, that's how I always imagined it lol

tar gets very runny and you have to keep up when smoking it or you miss some... :/

Weird, I guess just goes to show you how shit differs from place to place, another good way to smoke is to put your dope in a silicon dish like you’d keep hash oil in, then take a tube or something and put a nail on the end of the tube, you heat the nail then just dip in the silicone dish and inhaling, gets you fuckin ripped