• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Slow Cooker or Crockpot recipes.

omfg.

/salivates profusely.

I like to think my curries up on my own....so here goes.

A couple of things I reckon I'll have to fry first, like mustard seeds....you fry them till they pop like popcorn (use a lid, trust me), also curry leaves....which they don't friggin sell in woolworths, so off to the indian spice market with me.

I reckon I'll fry the onion too, cause there will be a LOT of it....and you have to caramelise it, because otherwise it's too overpowering.....remember to blend it up first. think consistency of porridge.....this is one of the things that gives a good curry that slightly lumpy texture.

I reckon since I'm slow cooking, I'll go all out and chuck the spices in whole. ie

cardamom pods, cloves, coriander seeds

I could go vego.....

I reckon it would have to involve copious amounts of pumpkin and potato.....because they will turn deliciously soft over 10 hours, and should soak up the spices nicely. Maybe I could rip up some spinach too and chuck that in.

If I were to turn it meaty, I reckon lamb would be the way to go. Big cubes that will fall apart in your mouth.

Last time I looked at GBS, it was still very beta....

I'm guessing it's doing alright now.

does it say anywhere how many books they have so far? I'd like to know.

edit: thanks for that fengtau, there's some awesome tips in there

Last edited:
Callos ~ traditional Spanish / Filipino recipe (one of my favorite dishes!)

Ox/beef tripe usually requires long, slow cooking, and that is the secret of extremely tasty, thick, and tender callos.
This quintessential Spanish dish uses a combination of ox tripe and pig feet, boiled together in water for two hours or more to ensure a delicate, easily chewed meat.
The gentle cooking also makes for a thick, sticky broth, which actually keeps very well for days in the refrigerator.

3 pcs red bell pepper
3 lbs beef honeycomb tripe or ox tripe
2 pig's knuckles
Water as needed
2 tsp salt
1/2 cup olive oil
6 garlic cloves mashed
2 big red onions chopped
6 tomatoes peeled, seeded, and chopped
8 pieces chorizo de bilbao, sliced
2 cups cooked garbanzo beans
3 tbsps Sherry
1 cup green Olives
2 cups tomato sauce
2 tsp Spanish paprika
3 potatos peeled, and cut into 1/2" dice

Salt and pepper to taste
Freshly-ground black pepper to taste

* Note: Latino and Filipino markets sell pigs' feet and chorizo. Do not substitute Mexican chorizo, because it is too crumbly to slice and the flavor is different.

PREPARATION:
Broil pepper 4 inches from heat source, turning until all sides are blackened, 10 minutes. (Or, place pepper over gas flame, turning, until skin blackens.) Place in bowl covered with plastic wrap 15 minutes. Scrape off skin and cut into 1-inch pieces. Set aside.

It is important to rinse the tripe well. Place in a rather large kettle and add cold water to cover. Bring to a boil, then drain immediately. Cut the tripe into pieces and return to the empty kettle. Throw in the pig's foot and cover with water. Bring to a boil, then simmer 5 minutes. Discard water and add fresh water to cover. Add salt. Bring to boil and simmer until tripe is tender, 3 hours. Remove tripe and cool. Pig's foot may need additional cooking. Reserve broth. Cut tripe into 1 1/2 inch cubes. Remove bones from pig's foot and cut meat into 1-inch slices.

Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and cook until it begins to turn light golden, 2 to 3 minutes. Add onion and cook until translucent, 6 to 8 minutes.

Transfer garlic and onions into crockpot.
Add tomatoes, chorizo, tripe, pig's foot, garbanzo beans, roasted pepper, olives, tomato sauce, sherry, paprika, potato and 2 cups reserved broth. Simmer for 3-5 hours until all the flavors meld together into a thick rich sauce. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Recipe yields 8 servings. Delicious served with piping hot rice!

Last edited:
posner said:
That's awesome. That's like the laziest shit I've ever heard. That's like people buying the peanut butter and jelly that comes together in one jar so they don't have to spread them on separately.

For a crock pot, all you have to do is buy a bunch of stuff, cut it up, and throw it in there.

all you have to do with most meals is buy a bunch of stuff, rinse/cut it up and throw it in some sort of cooking device.

Beef Au Jus Sandwiches

Ingredients:
1 large sweet onion, sliced
1 14oz can beef broth
1 4 lbs boneless beef rump roast trimmed of fat
2 tbl balsamic vinegar
1 .7oz envelope Italian salad dressing mix
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
12 hoagie buns split
1 large green bell pepper, thinly sliced
12 1oz slices provolone cheese, halved

Directions
  • Place onion slices and broth in 3.5-4 quart slow cooker. Brush all surfaces of beef roast with vinegar. Place on onions. Sprinkle with salad dressing mix, salt, and pepper.
  • Cover and cook on low setting 8-10 hours.
  • About 5 minutes before serving, remove beef from slow cooker. Place on cutting board. Cut beef across grain into thin slices. Return slices to slow cooker and mix well.
  • To assemble, spoon beef into bottom halves of buns. Serve sandwiches with juices from slow cooker.

I usually sprinkle mozzarella cheese (instead of provoline) on top of the sandwiches and broil for a minute or so until the cheese is baked and the buns are toasted. I usually get 4-6 sandwiches rather than 12. Oh, and possibly add a bit more beef broth if you like a lot of au jus and plan to reheat. The beef soaks up a lot of the liquid.

*bump*

My crockpot broke the first time I tried to use it so I had to return it. :(

But I got a new one yesterday! I'm having a vegan over this weekend, so it will be inaugurated with my special Cuban black beans and rice recipe. :)

The BBQ turkey sloppy joes sound awesome too, I'll have to ask my butcher about getting the breast only ground up, I've never seen ground turkey breast, and I'm not a fan of dark meat poultry on the whole.

I'll post the black beans and rice recipe once I've determined amounts, I usually eyeball it.

Beef in Guinness

Not sure about the quantities, but you should be able to balance it right by eye.

1 - 1.5kg diced stewing beef, rib eye is the best because it has loads of marbling.
A few carrots (5 or 6)
A few potatoes, preferably a waxy variety.
450ml Guinness, preferably stout, but porter (the fizzier stuff) will do too.
A small hand of flour.
Salt, pepper, all the usual herbs (thyme, bay parsley etc)
Browning, beef stock

Quick fry the beef in a little oil, fry until sealed, no more.
Scatter flour over the beef until each piece is lightly coated.
Stir.
Add some water and leave to simmer for a few minutes.
Move to warmed crockpot and add guinness and browning, herbs and a little salt and pepper.
Simmer over a low heat for an hour.
Add chopped carrots (rounds) and diced potatoes (about 1 - 2" cubes)
Add beef stock.
Simmer over low heat for another hour, I do this last stint in the oven as it stops the stew from burning at the bottom. Add more stock during this time if necessary.

This is the most succulent, melt in the mouth stew you will ever eat... guaranteed :)

Yum.

^^^^yum sounds goood....I wil improvise on a beef stroganoff recipe as well.

Lovers Beef Stew

(Forgive the lack of spacing/punctuation as I am on a fucked up laptop, mods I would not be at all offended if you edited)... I asked my boy what he might want to eat at the grocery the other day, and thought of this recipe. It is more or less basic beef stew with a couple kicks, somewhat of a variation on the guinness recipe posted by nowonmai (that sounds good too). It is also kosher and halal if you use appropriately butchered meat. BEEF STEW FOR LOVERS (yield : 2 big or 3-4 small servings): 1 lb beef stew meat (ribeye or beef round tips); 1 1/2 cups baby carrots; 1 1/2 cups fresh green beans 1-2 tsp each of garlic and dijon mustard (to taste), 1 tsp sweet paprika, 1 to 1 1/2 cups combination of beef bouillon and your favorite red wine; kosher salt and fresh black pepper to taste. PROCEDURE : Combine all ingredients in slow cooker on low and let sit for 8-10 hours. If desired, marinate beef in wine/bouillon overnight (I did this and it was GREAT). Serve over egg noodles or rice noodles (as desired) and slurp it up and enjoy. A wonderful winter meal, and mine tasted a lot like the ever-wonderful Vietnamese soup PHO. :) :) :) Ladies, if you serve this one to your man, expect some good, fine lovin afterwards with minimal cleanup (the food, anyways.) :)

Good Turkey

1 can of Cranberry sauce

1 packet of Lipton dry onion soup

3 cups of Sunny Delight

1 Turkey breast

Put all these in a crock pot and cook until the turkey falls off the bones, serve over basmanti rice.

Simple and really good

I don't have a name for this ... it was a food my mother came up with from gawd knows where about 15 years ago. We just call it "the crockpot stuff" lol ... lame huh? ;)

anyways here it is ...

1 - 2lbs of hamburger
1 can of tomatoe soup
1 big bottle/can of tomatoe juice
egg noodles
garlic seasoning
salt
black pepper
4 - 5 large potatos
4 carrots
--
-brown the ground up hambuger in a pan till completely brown/cooked and drain the grease
-turn crockpot on high
-mix the tomatoe soup and tomatoe juice in crockpot together
-peel and cut potatos into small "squares"
-peel and cut carrots into small 1/2 - 1" pieces
-add carrots and potatos into crockpot
-add 1 teaspoon of garlic seasoning
-add 2 teaspoons of salt
-add 1 teaspoon of pepper
-add browned hamburger and mix everything together well
-place lid on, and let cook on high for 3 - 4 hours/till carrots and potatos are soft
-boil water in a pan, and add egg noodles. cook till soft. then drain noodles.

serve the "stew" like food over the egg noodles.

I have a great French Onion soup recipe for two. It was tried last night and got excellent reviews. You need a little help from the stove and oven, but just a little, and you can probably pull it off without though the presentation might not be as good. Substitute 1 can veggie broth for the beef broth for vegetarians, and leave out the cheese and it's vegan. :)

I have a small slowcooker, just 1.5 qt. This was perfect. :)

Ingredients:

1 small sweet yellow onion
1 can beef broth
1 can vegetable broth
1/3-2/3 cup red wine or sherry (if you use red wine, add 1 tsp honey or sugar)
2 tbsp olive oil (see below)
Salt and pepper to taste
Croutons or crispy bread
Asiago, provolone, Swiss or other easily melted cheese

Slice the onion into large but manageable pieces and saute on the stove in the olive oil until onion is well browned and caramelized.

Place onion pieces in slow cooker.

Add 2 cans of broth and wine/sherry.

Put slow cooker on high until everything is very hot, then cover, turn it back to low and leave it alone for 3-5 hours.

Ladle soup into bowls and cover with croutons/bread and cheese. Make SURE bowls are ceramic and not flimsy. Place bowls on a cookie sheet and put in 375 degree preheated oven for ~5 minutes until melted. (Microwaving also works, but you won't get the same texture).

Eat with a crisp salad and enjoy. :)

bump! i just got a crock pot :)

i'm going to try to make chicken saltimboca (sp?) tomorrow. i borrowed parts of several recipes, so hopefully it turns out. i've never really cooked in a crock pot tho, so we will see... if its good, i'll post the recipe.

i'm excited because i can finally have home cooked dinners again. i work nights and my BF doesn't cook, so its been a lot of take out lately.

Oh man... I know almost nothing about cooking, but I used to date this German girl, and she would make this traditional German dish that she'd start working on one day and it would be ready like a day or two later... I don't remember what it was called, but it was soooooo good. I never even knew what a crock pot was until I saw her preparing it... LOL. I need to find out the name of this dish so I can learn how to make it!! :D

mariposa420 said:
*bump*

My crockpot broke the first time I tried to use it so I had to return it. :(

But I got a new one yesterday! I'm having a vegan over this weekend, so it will be inaugurated with my special Cuban black beans and rice recipe. :)

The BBQ turkey sloppy joes sound awesome too, I'll have to ask my butcher about getting the breast only ground up, I've never seen ground turkey breast, and I'm not a fan of dark meat poultry on the whole.

I'll post the black beans and rice recipe once I've determined amounts, I usually eyeball it.

You can buy ground turkey breast with the other ground meats in the regular grocery store.

randycaver said:
I don't have any myself, but I do want to say those pre-made ones in the frozen part of grocery stores are just awful. I cooked a beef stroganoff one for about 8 hours, and it was one of the most disgusting things I've EVER tasted. I didn't think anything could be screwed up in a crockpot, but lo and behold..
why the hell would they make something like this, and more importantly why would you buy it? if you are gonna buy frozen shit, throwing it in the micro or stove is easy enough!?

anyway, for your crock pot, throwing a chicken in there, for a last minute in the morning easy meal, with lemon pepper and a bit of water and EVOO or any other seasoning that suits your tastes is always good. maybe some white wine or something that flavors it nicely, and fresh herbs....

we like my crockpot lasagna, which goes like this:

http://southernfood.about.com/od/crockpotgroundbeef/r/bl113c5.htm

not the same exact, but close enough, though i don't make it much, because if i am going to use the stove or oven, i will just do it all on my own....but anyway.

another idea is to make a crock pot veggie soup. throw in some beef chunks, can of corn, green beans, tomato soup/tomato sauce, lipton onion soup and go from there with what you like and dislike.

for me, crockpot meals have never been great, it is good for meat/soups only really, slow cooking means tender. aside from that, everything is better in the oven...but it is nice to throw some crap in there in the morning and know you have a warm home cooked meal at night, i just have never had any that have been anything to right home about. when they get good enough to be that....they were also meals you needed enough time for to just cook on the oven or in the stove for an hour before dinner time.

nowonmai said:
Beef in Guinness

Not sure about the quantities, but you should be able to balance it right by eye.

1 - 1.5kg diced stewing beef, rib eye is the best because it has loads of marbling.
A few carrots (5 or 6)
A few potatoes, preferably a waxy variety.
450ml Guinness, preferably stout, but porter (the fizzier stuff) will do too.
A small hand of flour.
Salt, pepper, all the usual herbs (thyme, bay parsley etc)
Browning, beef stock

Quick fry the beef in a little oil, fry until sealed, no more.
Scatter flour over the beef until each piece is lightly coated.
Stir.
Add some water and leave to simmer for a few minutes.
Move to warmed crockpot and add guinness and browning, herbs and a little salt and pepper.
Simmer over a low heat for an hour.
Add chopped carrots (rounds) and diced potatoes (about 1 - 2" cubes)
Add beef stock.
Simmer over low heat for another hour, I do this last stint in the oven as it stops the stew from burning at the bottom. Add more stock during this time if necessary.

This is the most succulent, melt in the mouth stew you will ever eat... guaranteed :)

Yum.

ok i must go off of my diet just so i can try this! the irish pub here makes an awesome beef n guinness but if i can get close imagine how much money i can save! Besides my brother in law owns part of the pub and i don't get a discount so I am on strike :p