• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Sleeping on Methadone?

Siccness909

Bluelighter
Can I dose 5mgs of methadone and fall asleep before it peaks? I wanna wake up high but I dont wanna die by not breathing lol, Im about to dose right now so I wanna besure its ok

With 5mg you generally should be fine. But what's the point of taking it if you're not dependent on opioids and just gonna go to sleep right away?

Also I don't know how much sleeping really increases your chances of death by overdose, people always seem to think if they don't fall asleep they would somehow realize they were overdosing and be able to get help in time, but in my experience that is not the case, people who've overdosed tend to pass out before getting help anyway, so the best thing is to not do drugs alone. 5mg of methadone is not likely to be a lethal dose when not mixed with alcohol/benzos though. Although I don't get why people take methadone recreationally - it's totally not worth the risks of death or dependence.

Because I heard its recreational to people with no or a low tolerance to opiates. I dont have anymore to get dependant either. I know my limits very well when it comes to opiates. I just wanted to wake up high but I will wait till the morning now to dose. Its very sedating and sometimes euphoric to first timers Ive heard so I wanna try it. Ive done plenty of opiates in the past but not for a couple months.

Oh so you thought you would wake up while still high? Not sure if that would work out. As for the part about me not getting why people do it recreationally - I do understand it's because they think it will be or find it pleasurable, I just meant it has so many drawbacks.

But if you wanna take it then sleep I think you're safe to.

Not trying to lecture you or give you a hard time, I just truly think it's in the interest of HR. So many recreational users die from it, and I wouldn't wish dependence on my worst enemy. I'm glad you're just taking 5mg. I really don't think methadone is worth the risks. The "high" isn't that great and people with no tolerance to opioids should be doing safer ones IMO. And btw everyone says they know their limits and won't get addicted so that really doesn't mean anything - every junky I know once said that. Anyway, I just really think people shouldn't take methadone unless they absolutely have to :) But you'll probably be disappointed by it anyway.

Last edited:
I beg to differ a bit, Swimmingdancer, methadone can get you high, it's a full agonist opioid, I really do think it was marketed as the new non providing high opioid and as such the perfect drug for opiate maintenance treatment/detox, the reality being quite different. Remember, heroin was marketed as a cure to morphine addiction at the beginning of the XXth century. We all know how stupid was that lie.

IME, methadone gives me a very long high that is absolutely not worth the high risks associated with this drug. It's highly potent, and even 5mg on a non tolerant person can give them a puke fest of literally 12 hours. Where I agree with you is that it's absolutely not worth risking dying or acquiring a strong methadone addiction. People who never took opiates or are non addicted to opiates should never approach this drug imo.

on a dose that works for me (100mg) i fall asleep about 30min after it hits me and wake up high a couple hours later tired as shit its a shity drug

5 mgs dosed about 2 hours ago..Feelin real relaxed, warm but little euphoria? Can I dose 5mgs more? Or should I wait till the 3-4 hour mark?

My pain doctor used to prescribe oxycodone during the day and 10 mg methadone for nighttime use. It lasts longer so I wouldn't wake up during the night with pain. But I didn't wake up feeling high I guess because it's a low dose. You want to be careful with methadone. Sometimes it can take hours before it starts to take full effect.

I should of mentioned this before, I can get high off 15 mgs of Vicodin. So does my dose of 5mgs Methadone seem ok? Its been about 3 hours now, I feel like I feel something but just relaxed? Personally I think its a placebo effect but should I wait for a lil bit longer before redosing? I also put the pill in a tissue ball nd SLIGHTLY crushed it and swallowed it when I dosed? If I redose Im also only going to do 2.5mgs no more than that. Opinions on what I should do?

Its been 5 hours Im going to redose with one more 5mg to equal 10mgs total, Im not even high

Well to give an update I injested the other 5mg pill about 2 hours ago and STILL FELT NOTHING, this is bullshit I feel like eating all 6pills I have left! (joking), I don't get it why am I not getting high? I just feel tired? Can I do just 5 more mgs? to equal 15 total? I know theirs not much euphoria but my tolerance is low Im sure of it, Whats going on? Opinions?

Last edited:
I would wait more than 2 hours before redosing. Redosing too soon is probably the number one mistake people make with methadone. Sometimes it can take quite a while to feel anything (like 4-5 hrs for some people). But it also just may not do much for you - IME the high is not that great when doing safe amounts and in comparison to other opioids. I did say you'd probably be disappointed. Many people don't get much out of reasonable doses. And higher doses can just make people puke, feel exhausted, or worse.

loulou - Were you just disagreeing with me about the "high" not being that great? You seemed to agree with everything else I said ;). I know some people do really like it, but I just don't find it that euphoric and not worth the risks to use recreationally.

Well since I felt absolutely nothing from 10mgs, Can i dose 15 tomorrow? I mean I KNOW i can get high, i mean shit i can get high off 15 mgs of Vicodin, what am I doing wrong? how does the half life of methadone work again? How I should dose tomorrow regarding the half life as Im pretty clueless how it works

Half life for methadone varies a LOT from person to person. It can range from 3 hrs to 150+ hrs. Average is around 22 hrs I think. So that means if you are taking it 2 days in a row you should be cautious as you could easily still have half or more left in your system. Maybe start with 10 mg and then take another 5 if you're not feeling it after 3 hrs? The appropriate dose to get noticeable effects yet stay safe can vary a lot from person to person too, it's not that unusual to feel little from 10mg. Although there are a number of people who just don't find it euphoric, even in higher doses.

Just because you can get a good high from other opioids does not by any means mean that you will/should be able to get a good high from methadone. Please be careful.

I thought you didn't have any more methadone and weren't going to be taking it multiple days in a row and said you therefore weren't at risk for getting dependent?

I know I only have 6 5mg pills left and no way of getting more. I just hear its so potent and strong but yet I just CANT even get a slight buzz!? It's irritating, Do I face possible withdrawals down the nxt couple days taking it for 2 days in a row? So 10 tomorrow sound ok being that their are 5 mgs left in my system? Methadone is confusing haha

Considering you didn't notice much effects from taking a total of 10mg then I think it should be ok to take 10mg at once tomorrow, assuming you aren't taking other drugs, drinking, or consuming anything that could potentiate it. Then I'd wait 3 hrs+ before deciding whether or not to take 5 more (and if you find you are super sleepy it's prob best not to take more even if you still don't feel "high").

Taking it for 2 days in a row should not cause any withdrawals if you haven't used any other opioids recently and haven't been heavily dependent on opioids in the past. I would however advise taking a break after that before doing it again because it's so easy to think to oneself "I didn't get a good high, I'm just going to do some more tomorrow" and end up doing it every day.

Personally I think the recreational potential of methadone is vastly overrated. Some people do get what they consider a great high from it but it's definitely not like it's this guaranteed amazing high for everyone. When people say it's very strong that doesn't necessarily mean euphoric - they could mean it's easy to OD and easy to get dependent on.

Or you may also just be one of those people who need a higher dose to feel effects - our metabolisms are all different - but I would never want to encourage you to take more.

So 10 mgs tomorrow will technically equal 15 mgs with the left over 5? And I.have been chewing them if that makes any difference btw. And if I don't feel that 10 (well 15 technically) after a couple hours or 3 Can I safety take 5mgs more? Im really contemplating taking 20 mgs off the bat when I wake up but I know its not safe...but anyway their is definitely that left over 5mgs in my System then? I wanna be sure

As I said, the half-life can vary SO much from person to person so it's impossible to know exactly how much will be left in your system after 24 hrs, but half is a rough average/estimate. It could be more too. But having around half left in your system does not necessarily mean you will still feel it/feel like you took 15 at once when you take 10mg. And taking 10mg at once may give you more noticeable effects than what you did before of taking 5mg, then another 5mg a few hours later. So I think the best idea is to take 10mg, then wait 3hrs+, then take another 5mg if you're still not feeling much, then wait another 3hrs+ before deciding whether to take more. If you don't feel anything after a total of 20mg, or if at any point you feel really sleepy I would give up and not bother with taking any more.