• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

SL Music Thread v. 2nd Take

^ I used to fly regularly between Columbus, Ohio and Orlando, Florida and the flight path goes right over West Virginia where you can see how the mining companies cut the tops off mountains and then dump the mountaintop in the watershed next to said mountain. There are still underground mine fires that have been burning for decades, in some cases over a century, in Ohio and Pennsylvania.

I'll look on YouTube for Steel Drivers. I'm mostly familiar with the real old timey Bluegrass musicians like Bill Monroe since that's what my dad liked to listen to.

This is one of my favorite Bluegrass tunes. Growing up not far from the Western Kentucky coal fields, it was disheartening to see how mining companies just absolutely raped what was once such a beautiful place. The reference to "Mr. Peabody" in this song refers to St. Louis-based Peabody Energy.

Thank you! That is absolutely beautiful music, and a supremely touching tale (the hallmark of good bluegrass imo). Please don't feel shy about sharing more ;)

Joan Baez's recording is my favorite of this folk staple.

Everything's gonna be okay
Oh, I keep telling myself, "Don't worry, be happy"

Last edited:
Storms came really late today - almost at dark. Sitting outside on my patio soaking it all in. Will sleep with the window cracked so I can hear it if they're still going when I head to bed.

I haven't been sleeping well, heat wave here. Your evening listening to the storm sounds like heaven to me. Sleep well my friend.

Love that song aihfl.

I saw Eddie Rabbitt in concert with my parents at opryland USA theme park in Nashville. I really miss they good ol'country from the 80s . This new pop country just doesn't cut it for me . No twang , not my thang. Any Unknown Hinson fans here ? He plays "Early" on the Squidbillies cartoon . I think aihfl will enjoy him .

Growing up in Middle Tennessee was kind of like what I imagine growing up in Los Angeles would be like. You'd just see country stars out and about living their lives. Ran into Ray Stevens (the country music comedian - I watch his show Ray Stevens Cabaret on PBS) and Dolly several times at the airport, met two of the Mandrell Sisters at the Mall at Green Hills and seeing the Christmas lights at Conway Twitty's estate was an annual family tradition. And I remember when George Jones after his millionth DUI got on his riding lawn mower to drive to Frugal MacDougal's (liquor store) completely trashed and Channel 4 had a news crew following him and he's cursing nonstop and trying to kick the channel 4 cameraman. Alison Kraus the fiddler lives in one of my closest friend's neighborhood in the Green Hills area.

Good memories at Opryland too. I can't believe they dismantled it to build a fucking mall. The locals derisively call it "Shopryland." All in all a neat place to have grown up.

You were very lucky to grow up in Nashville during its hayday . I still remember my parents buying season tickets on sale using General Mills cereal box tops for Opryland. I remember a few years before they closed me and my friends would smoke weed on the sky lift on the way to ride chaos . "Shopryland" was a dumb mistake on Gaylords part . They said the off season was a loss is the reason that opryland closed. Dolly keeps Dollywood open till new years and fills the place up every day. As much as Nashville has grown recently , I believe Opryland could have thrived . Nashville's growth is exploding right now. PS --- I have a tshirt with George Jones riding a lawn mower with the "liquor,beer,ice" sign and a cop car behind him .

Last edited:
PS --- I have a tshirt with George Jones riding a lawn mower with the "liquor,beer,ice" sign and a cop car behind him .
Oh man, I am so envious! I'll have to troll the internet to see if someone is still selling those on a site like zazzle, cafepress or etsy. He was such a great musician though. And a tortured soul like all great artists. Even though I was classically trained and had a career as an orchestra musician, I did a lot of crossover stuff and I credit my being able to do that with my Nashville training. My mentors who are now all retired from the Nashville Symphony all did sessions on the side. One of them told me musical genre has nothing to do with anything. If you're good, you're versatile. If you're not versatile, you're just not all that good. Anyway, here's George at his best IMO.

Last edited:
aihfl

george-jones-t-shirts-george-jones-riding-lawn-mower-outlaw-country-tee-shirts-vintage-country-music-shirts-8.jpg

That's it !!!! That's my "dranking shirt" , lol. I got the sleeves cut off too .

Here is the link to " He stopped loving her today" song by Alan Jackson at George's funeral at the grand ol Opry. Casket/right in front of him . Very sad moment.

Ash , that video was hilarious. " I'm just going to the oyster shack" , LOL . I do believe that's what we call entrapment , even though there is a blurry line in the states . They were waiting on him without a doubt.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh he was totally ambushed right!!???

My favorite part of the vid was when the cop says " You're fixin to get lit up Steve!" then he proceeds to tase his ass!! Bahaha!!!!

Have a great day hik!!
Ash.

That's it !!!! That's my "dranking shirt" , lol. I got the sleeves cut off too .

Here is the link to " He stopped loving her today" song by Alan Jackson at George's funeral at the grand ol Opry. Casket/right in front of him . Very sad moment. https://youtu.be/GbjpbqowX3Y
Ash , that video was hilarious. " I'm just going to the oyster shack" , LOL . I do believe that's what we call entrapment , even though there is a blurry line in the states . They were waiting on him without a doubt.