• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Skin Problems Due To Meth Use

SillyTally

Greenlighter
I've been using meth on and off for a couple years, and every time I start up again, my skin gets really bad. it has nothing to do with the batch or what it's been cut with, it's simply just the way my body handles the chemicals. I drink plenty of water, 3 liters a day on average, I sleep at least 6 hours every night, and maintain personal hygiene. aside from what I do to prevent unnecessary complications from using, I do have a bad habit of picking my skin. nothing I do or try, even when I resist picking, helps my skin. I have gone through numerous cosmetics/lotions/soap etc with no luck or even the slightest improvement. does anyone know something from previous experience that might help?

Its simple really, the meth will put stress on your system and likely cause the build up of toxins through a number of means such as dehydration, not eating, lack of sleep, the drug itself, sweating etc etc etc. Any number of things. Its most likely not related to any external influence. Sort of how having bad acne often has nothing to do with how often you wash your face.

Based on what you said I would guess its a vitamin deficiency since you seem to have most of the other potential causes covered.

Honestly you gotta stop fixating on your skin while spun....this is a problem I used to have. I'd fixate on my skin and pick at it and since while on meth shit doesn't seem to heal it would look terrible at the end of a 5-6 day bender. Only things I have found are 1. force yourself not to pick ( hard but doable ) 2. Apply moisturizers 3. Regular showers ( at least twice a day ). 4. EAT 5. SLEEP

Sorry i know not the exact response you were looking for but i figured i would add what i've found to help skin issues.

(this Is going to be long - this is my thing - I'm training to be an esthetician)
your skin is an organ designed to excrete what your body doesn't want - that includes meth.
by popping zits, blackheads, etc., you are actually pushing layers of oil that are further down into your skin upwards which will inevitably form cystic acne unless you are very careful, however, I just don't believe anyone can be gentle on their own skin.

get a skin care routine and do it every day and night.. and invest in a high quality cleanser. Murad is an excellent brand that seems to work for everyone; Dermalogica is great as well. your routine should look like this:
-cleanse
-exfoliate
*no need to exfoliate twice a day or even every day and BE GENTLE
-treat/tone
-Moisturize

I know it's not easy to drop so much $ on your face but another thing is that these products will get you through 6 months as long as you use just what you need, which won't be a very big amount at all. this is your skin - don't put shit ON it, it already has the very difficult job of getting rid if all the shit you put IN it. read: drugs

one more thing -
if you have organic (it has to be organic) olive oil, after washing your face, put it all over and get a washcloth and make it as hot as your water runs. wring it out and hold it to your face, the steam opens your pores and since oil dissolves oil it's actually far more effective than drying your skin out which makes everything so much worse. add some tea tree oil and use witch hazel after if you have very, very oily skin.

sorry this was so long, I don't know much about your skin but these are just good general guidelines for anyone with acneic skin. if you tell me a little more about what kind of acne you have, the condition of your pores, etc. I could probably point you in the right direction as far as products go or what ingredients to look for.

hope this helps somewhat, I'm indulging tonight so i really hope you benefit from it at least a little bit and I'm not being an annoying tweaker. as long as there's a little bit of helpful info in here for you I'll be happy. if you have questions go ahead and ask, I love this kind of thing (clearly lol)

Its simple really, the meth will put stress on your system and likely cause the build up of toxins through a number of means such as dehydration, not eating, lack of sleep, the drug itself, sweating etc etc etc. Any number of things. Its most likely not related to any external influence. Sort of how having bad acne often has nothing to do with how often you wash your face.

Based on what you said I would guess its a vitamin deficiency since you seem to have most of the other potential causes covered.

I've read a few posts about people discontinuing their drug use and still experiencing skin problems, and it turning out to be a vitamin deficiency. so, I have heard about that happening but didn't consider it a possibility. I take a multi-vitamin every day, but do you happen to know what other deficiencies could I have and what vitamins I should take?

I have naturally oily skin, and the acne I'm experiencing seems to be more of the "speed bumps" rather than actual acne. aside from the bumps, I also have a few severely disgusting scabs that I can't seem to get rid of either. I've read that hot showers with antibacterial soap helps, so yesterday I went out and bought some soap called Cetaphil and I'm hoping it'll make things clear up a little.

Meditation helps with sleep. I can fall asleep in the peak of moderate doses, after, I wake up in cold sweats due to body activity but I do manage to sleep alot.

I've read a few posts about people discontinuing their drug use and still experiencing skin problems, and it turning out to be a vitamin deficiency. so, I have heard about that happening but didn't consider it a possibility. I take a multi-vitamin every day, but do you happen to know what other deficiencies could I have and what vitamins I should take?

When i was heavy into my meth use I ate very little and relied on a multi vitamin to supply the required nutrients i was lacking. I realized unfortunately that really wasn't a proper substitute for proper food and nutrition. Your typical muti vitamins are horribly inefficient actually and border on a waste of time and money, basically a marketing gimmick at the end of the day (and im a marketer).

You just goto eat something at least 3 times a day min. Doesnt even need to be health shit, just any solid food is miles better then not eating and popping vitamins instead. Just FYI before moving on, having researched the vitamin topic to death, if you want an effective vitamin supplement in pill form take a look at "organic vitamins", which are based on food products and not synthesized chemicals. Makes a world of difference (but is expensive).

That said, I personally have skin problems, adult acne at 30 still . Very annoying and nothing i do seems to help. Meth doesnt seem to make it worse though at all which means if it is causing problems for you it is likely something that can be resolved easily as i dont think the drug itself somehow is inherently causing the issue. The must be something else at fault that is occurring as an indirect result of the drug use, like nutrition perhaps. Another possibility that immediately springs to mind is sweating which is a given for me when i use enough.

Laslty when i started drinking shit loads of water, eating properly and getting nutrition, getting enough sleep and lastly taking magnesium chelate, 99% of my issues related to meth use went away.

My skin is very sensitive and while I use meth it seems like the chemicals and toxins in my sweat cause my skin a great deal of irritation. I used a bath towel to get the sweat from my forehead once and simply sliding the rough towel across my forehead left a skinned spot. I found that sitting in the heat or a very hot shower helps the health of my skin while using. Forcing my body to sweat it out at a quicker pace works wonders. I've never heard anyone else.confirm or deny my theory; I.only have personal observation.

Meth is full of toxins and impurities. Speed bumps are literally your body trying to expel the toxins out of your pores. If you get cleaner Meth it should make a big difference. The dirtier the Meth, the worse your skin will react.

I had this problem while using but instead of a skin fixation, it was my teeth. I couldn't stop rubbing my teeth with my tongue to save my life. Eventually my tongue was constantly ripped up and painful sores would be present 24/7 because of this.
Admittedly this problem only manifested after a year or more of daily use.
After I stopped, the problem went away.