• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Siwtched from 3mg of Xanax a day to 3mg of Klonopin a day, am I in danger?

XDLuva

Greenlighter
I'm just wondering, doc did this recently- appreciate any info ty. :)

Nope, the Klonopin is longer acting, so any discrepancy in equivalent dose (if there even is any of significance) won't be noticeable.

In other words, you went from a short buzz to a longer one. Less likely to feel any jitters when the xanax wears off (common complaint is it's too short acting and once your initial dose wears off you can feel rebound anxiety).

Also perhaps your doc thinks you suffer from General anxiety rather than some acute or specific as and when needed anxiety med, and therefore need to be maintained on something that'll be in your system pretty much constantly.

Alternatively, try asking your doc! :p

Depending on what conversing chart you choose it's either, both are equipotent or 1mg alprazolam=2mg clonazepam or 1mg alprazolam=0.5mg clonazepam
If you feel normal you shouldn't be in any danger

Okay, I take one in morning, afternoon and at night. My last and final x was a .5 at 11pm last night, now it's 6:37am... what I can tell you, I got a little left arm tingly *that's the GAD, yeah you're right Bella Figura* my dr just wants to test me out on it. I'll tell you though one thing for sure- when I woke up at 4am today- if I had NOT... taken a Klon, I would have been panicking, freaking, and being scared. Just wanted to be sure I know what to expect from Xanax to Klon...

Valium would've been better, IMO, and if you have the kind of doctor you can ask, then it is better as there are active metabolites, whereas Klonopin once it leaves your system has more of a crash, whereas Valium rides out a little better, the main reason it is the main drug of choice for the so-called Ashton method of BZD detoxification; but if we are talking about equianxiolytic doses you should be OK after a few days to a week of settling in to a dosing schedule; XANAX is not very good for GAD despite a lot of doctors prescribing and a lot of prominence, etc., fortunately it is getting less popular; it is only really good for severe panic attacks, but Valium is, as well, as it has the virtues of both a short onset and a long half-life, for both anxiety attacks and GAD. You should be fine, though, in terms of serious withdrawal symptoms, but if not, long term, in terms of anxiety, definitely speak to your doctor about Valium as a different option.

This post or any of my communications do not constitute professional advice nor do they establish a professional relationship of any kind; I make no claim to any specific professional credentials; in person consultation is essential for any medical, psychological, substance-related or harm reduction decisions. While peer support an advice can be helpful, any content posted online, regardless of it's source, cannot, by it's very nature, substitute for an in-person relationship with a clinician who has had the opportunity to take your history in the larger context and provide professional advice with all these factors, and others, taken into account.

This post or any of my communications do not constitute professional advice nor do they establish a professional relationship of any kind; I make no claim to any specific professional credentials; in person consultation is essential for any medical, psychological, substance-related or harm reduction decisions. While peer support an advice can be helpful, any content posted online, regardless of it's source, cannot, by it's very nature, substitute for an in-person relationship with a clinician who has had the opportunity to take your history in the larger context and provide professional advice with all these factors, and others, taken into account.

That's what i was getting at with 'try asking your doc' - maybe we need a sticky or announcement or the blua which states the above. Forgive me if there already is.

Dr would only give me Klonopin, not up for discussion. Just working with what I got here, and making sure my arm being tingly is normal >_>

You might feel some sort of withdrawal due to both benzos having slightly different affinities for the GABA-A subunits, but that should settle after a few days and shouldn't be dangerous

He's the one with the PHd, not me so, right.

I understood, I'm not criticising you or anything, just saying, it's your life, your body, if he says it's a good idea you have nothing to lose by simply asking why?

Sure we can give you some info on here, but at the end of the day - there's too much we don't know about your situation, history of use, maybe the doc is just a dick and didn't think it was worth explaining, you never know.

When I was in a similar position I had doctors try and give me meds I really, really did not need, simply because they thought they knew best - it was only through doing my own research that I could come back to them and like "hey you misled me, these are even worse than what i was on before'.

Just don't let his PHD hang over you like he knows any better, you're entitled to know his reasoning.

I just making sure I know what I getting myself into... thank uuuu :) I always had heard if you replace a benzo with another benzo not that it will work the same, but you won't have the horrid WDs compared to NO benzo. :D :D :D :D

I just making sure I know what I getting myself into... thank uuuu :) I always had heard if you replace a benzo with another benzo not that it will work the same, but you won't have the horrid WDs compared to NO benzo. :D :D :D :D

Right. Going from 3mg's/day Alprazolam to 3mg's/day Clonazepam WILL be a change in exactly how the benzo you're taking works in your brain, BUT...just as you guessed, you shouldn't have to worry about going through any serious WD's. You probably(IMO/IME) won't feel any WD.

Plus...I personally believe that Clonazepam is the best benzo for controlling anxiety related issues. I believe this bc Clonazepam has a moderately long half life as well as anxiolytic properties without very much in the way of hypnotic properties....which, all together, means that Clonazepam will work for a significantly longer period of time than Alprazolam while not causing overly tiring effects that prevent you from going about your day without constantly feeling tired.

*Never forget that managing anxiety is not just about taking the right medication, but also making sure you "do your part" by working as hard as you can on managing your anxiety through other means such as meditation, breathing exercises, and doing your best to surround yourself with calm people/environments. The goal should be to not have to depend on a drug to keep anxiety in check...that's why I believe it's SO important to make sure to incorporate other things(such as meditation, etc) into your routine now, so in the future, you will hopefully be able to jump off the benzo's and yet still have meditation(and/or other "exercises") as a sort of safety net that makes the transition off of benzo's a smooth one.*

No, no danger present from switching meds. I personally have been on both and was taken off the xanax and put on klonopin. The k-pins last longer and have a longer onset, the xanax has a short life and onset. Basically, the xanax is better for getting rid of current anxiety, while klonopin is more useful in preventing attacks.

From all the literature I have read online clonazepam and alprazolam are equal potent. Of course the Xanax is shorter acting with a much shorter half life, conversely k-pins half almost triple the half life and are more self tapering. My current psych told me that clonazepam is double the strength of alprazolam ( .5 kpin= 1mg Xanax)

klonopins are not self tapering in the same sense as valium is as they lack substantial active metabolites which means that once it's out of your system it's out and it's like jumping off a cliff while valium is more like riding a wave (still into shark infested waters, but more slowly and at a manageable rate) ... this is a common misperception among members of the medical profession ...

your doctor also is not the only one with the MD or PhD or advanced degree in nursing/pharmacy/whatever that allows him to prescribe/dispense/understand meds, so you are free to seek an alternative, some people with similar educations post here too, anyway; maybe even some people here, ITT, although if they were sensible about it they wouldn't advertise it for legal reasons

a good resource about tapering and stuff is benzo.org.uk although they are a bit fanatical about being anti-benzo, but at the end, they're right

FWIW I used the Ashton Manual with a doc and it was tough and long winded but oh so worth it in the end.

Since you're on xanax you probably not be satisfied with taking the kolonip and still have cravings to still get ahold of xanax, if you're taking it recreational saying. But kolonip isn't as potent a benzo then xanax so you might feel you need more to feel the same , but tolerance will affect that too. I suggest you pick and choose and give the kolonip a try . I certainly feel kolonip makes me feel way different then taking xanax.