View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Similarities between psychedelics and amphetamines

cj187

Bluelighter
I'm curious about how pharmacologically similar stimulants such as amphetamine are to psychedelics, especially the more stimulating ones. Do they have work via the same mechanisms? If someone uses amphetamine regularly enough to form a strong tolerance, would they experience less stimulant effects when using a stimulating psychedelic?

The action of amphetamine and that of stimulating psychedelics are quite different; most psychedelics are serotonin/noradrenaline direct agonists, whereas amphetamine and friends act as monoamine releasing agents.

I cant answer this for you man sorry, but while you wait for someone with the knowledge to answer.
You could perhaps try to research what the active chemicals are that stimulate you within amphetamines and see what receptors they act on. Then try to find out if any of those actives are also present within psychs, or just if they work on the same receptors.

I am interested in this too ide go into some research but ive gotta job search.. :D oh well

EDIT: i posted this comment and the guy above me just happened to post as i was writing this xD

I agree that the chemical interactions in the brain and body from phenethylamine stimulants is very different from the action of psychedelics, (some of which are phenethyamines) but both do act as
sympathomimetics and
euphorics.
Strong stimulant dosage enables some precision coordination and activities, while strong psychedelic dosage is very disorientating, and may require reclined positions and closed eyes.

and after a binge, both become deliriant.

The biggest factor is that pretty much all drugs release dopamine but it's the other chemicals that give it that unique feel but MDMA and mushrooms both realease seratonin as well I find they have a similar feel but that being said with enough use almost anything can alter your consciousness and can have hallucinations.... alcohol, sleep deprivation, drugs, fear/anxiety so it's really hard to define psychedelics to me "psychedelics" have more of a spiritual feel I discovered that my god is this earth we live on! I was born from it and so shall I try my hardest to take care of it, plus weed and mushrooms are straight up its gift to us to ensure its survival hahaha

The chemical connection between psychedelics and amphetamines is the phenethylamine structure, which is the base of amphetamine (alpha-methyl-phenethylamine) and many psychedelic compounds such as mescaline and the 2C-X family. The phenethylamine structure, as well as the tryptamine structure can be found in lysergamides like LSD. There are also psychedelic or partially psychedelic compounds which are built off of an amphetamine structure such as the MDXX and DOX families, which can retain some of the pharmacological properties of traditional amphetamines.

In terms of action, most psychedelics are serotonin receptor agonists, whereas most amphetamines are dopamine-norepinephrine releasing agents. There can however be overlaps, for example LSD has binding affinity to dopamine receptors as well as serotonin receptors, and MDMA is a releasing agent for serotonin, dopamine, and norepinephrine.