View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Shrooms...

dtothev

Bluelighter
So this is my first post in the Psychedelic fourm! YAY! lol anyways I was supposed to do shrooms today for the first time but because of some things that came up i can't. My questions are
How long can you keep shrooms before they go bad or whatever? Or do they go bad at all? And also how should i store them?

Thanks for your help guys. :)

Yeah, dried mushrooms do eventually lose potency. Psilocybin isn't exactly an incredibly stable molecule.

IME mushrooms go downhill after 6 months at room temperature, in a plastic bag, in a drawer. If you can put them in a freezer they'll last longer.

If you're going to take them within the next few months they'll be fine.

if the shrooms are cracker-dry (they snap, not bend) they can retain potency for months in a sealed airtight container in a cool dark place. do not store in a sandwich baggie, as these are not air or moisture proof.

if storing for an extended period of time, seal in a glass jar with fresh dessicant and keep in the freezer.

NEVER store wet, damp, or moist mushrooms of ANY species for more than a day-- they should be dried ASAP or they will become a gooey stinky mess.

fresh-picked (firm, non-smelly) specimens can keep for up to a week in the fridge, but in this case you must NOT seal them-- just like button mushrooms keep them in a paper bag in the fridge away from the kimchi :)

fresh-picked (firm, non-smelly) specimens can keep for up to a week in the fridge, but in this case you must NOT seal them-- just like button mushrooms keep them in a paper bag in the fridge away from the kimchi :)

And why should one keep his mushies away from the kimchi?

Will the fermentation from the cabbage somehow corrupt them?
Or are we just talking about the taste migrating from one to the other?

I love kimchi! Mmmmmmmm.

Why is it that you can't keep mushrooms in a sealed container whilst in the fridge? Something to do with anerobic bacterial action perhaps?

I'm fan drying some P. Cubensis at the moment. I've got plenty of calcium chloride and some sealable plastic containers to get them properly dessicated. Its a shame I can't take them fresh but I wont have time to be off my face for another week at least by which time I imagine they'd be getting past their best to say the least.

No, water from the air inside will condense and get onto the mushrooms and make it sappy, slimy and eventually rotten. If fresh it must be a couple of days in a paper bag that will absorb moisture although I have seen mushrooms in commercial packaging that was plastic and it also kept for some 5 days... Don't know what protective environment they are in, probably very clean.

Depends on form...if they have been properly dried with dessecent or however the fuck you spell it they can keep for a while if you keep them wrapped up obviously and in a cool dry place...they are fungus so warmth and moisture can cause bad kinds of mold to appear etc. My advice is if you are attempting to keep them for a long time. make a chocolate. : ) tastes better too.

steps for making a chocolate shroom bar:
1) procure chocolate, hersheys bars is fine, and shrooms
2) use grinder/coffee grinder/pedestal to grind shrooms into fine powder
3) measure shroom powder or before you powder them into the amount you want pur chocolate
commonly its about a half eighth so 1.75 or 3 grams (fitting a full 8th requires a big chocolate)
4) if you dont have a double boiler. you can easily jerry-rig one. just put a pot of water on to boil fill it about half with water...and find a glass bowl or metal bowl non stick obviously but spray a bit of cooking oil/non stick spray anyway glass is the best that fits ontop of the boiling pot. a double boiler bought from the store is simply 2 pans one that fits ontop of the other for whatever you are melting and the bottom pan for boiling water like a normal small spaghetti pot
5) put on medium temp spray with cooking oil and melt desired amount of chocolate. depending on how many u want to make obviously depends on how much you need...stir until evenly melted and same consistancy
6) use any kind of a muffin pan or cookie tray with premolded designs, place muffin papers or those little things that have the ridges on them for cupcakes or muffins. poor chocolate from double boiler ( the pan dont spill the water and burn yourself!) into the molds. QUICKLY before they cool even a little put desired amount of shrooms pur chocolate and stir in until you should not be able to see the shroom bits from the top. repeat with as many molds as you want to fill.
7) place in freezer....couple of hours to 4 hour cooling time...WAHALAH! you can keep these in fridge for a LONG time

happy booming :)

I would still only use good and dry mushrooms to make chocolates of them, so by using a desiccant. If one can't be bothered to buy them somewhere why ask here how to do it right?

Here's how:

Airdry them if they are fresh for like 2 days on a piece of paper with an air current running over it - then do the last bit by putting them in a jar with a desiccant also inside of it (but don't let the mushrooms touch it directly).

I take at least 3 days to do this, then they are absolutely cracker dry, brittle as shizzle.

And why should one keep his mushies away from the kimchi?

Will the fermentation from the cabbage somehow corrupt them?
Or are we just talking about the taste migrating from one to the other?

I love kimchi! Mmmmmmmm.

yeah, mainly the taste problem. of course if you have roommates then you should probably have a separate fridge for all the stinky food... my roommies aren't so happy with my food =D

another good way to store shrooms for an extended period is with honey; recipes are all over the place but it's basically the same idea as chocolate-- start with dry shrooms.

No, water from the air inside will condense and get onto the mushrooms and make it sappy, slimy and eventually rotten. If fresh it must be a couple of days in a paper bag that will absorb moisture although I have seen mushrooms in commercial packaging that was plastic and it also kept for some 5 days... Don't know what protective environment they are in, probably very clean.

Ah, I see. Does that mean that mushrooms which have already been left for a while in a sealed container with some dessicant are fine for storing in the fridge? So long as it remains sealed after the dessicant is added and some time is left to pass?

The mushroom chocolate idea is interesting, I might give that a go at some point. I have a strange affinity for the taste fresh psilocybe mushrooms but they don't look or smell as appetising dried.

Ah, I see. Does that mean that mushrooms which have already been left for a while in a sealed container with some dessicant are fine for storing in the fridge? So long as it remains sealed after the dessicant is added and some time is left to pass?

The mushroom chocolate idea is interesting, I might give that a go at some point. I have a strange affinity for the taste fresh psilocybe mushrooms but they don't look or smell as appetising dried.

Yes but unnecessary on the short term. If you get them cracker dry - which is to say left with a desiccant enclosed for a while - there is no need for a fridge unless you are planning to keep them for very long. If that, the freezer is preferable. Remember to keep it airtight with the desiccant inside in the fridge or freezer as well or else they can rehydrate from cracker dry and still pose a problem.

dtothev, for future reference about creating new threads:
  • please read the rules, you will benefit yourself from proper conduct,
  • use the search engine (this is in the rules) first to check if the subject of your question or remark has not already been covered or devoted a thread to,
  • use the Psychedelic Index to find your way around, major topics are covered there and they include subthreads for more in-depth focus on specific subjects. The Psychedelic Index can be found at the top of the main Psychedelic Drugs page with a big link. :)

Storage of shrooms is a subthread of the main shroom page, and I will merge this with that subthread soon, next time please go there in the first place. :)
These guidelines exist for everyone.